hi...

everytime i want to edit contact let say : surname, phone number and then press save, it's not save to the latest update.
    already re boot, but nothing happened

help
    04-11-13 02:52 AM
    Huh? Press and select a contact, hit edit punch in your info and hit save. It doesn't work for you?

CB10- BlackBerry Z10
    04-11-13 03:08 AM
    nope....i'm avid user of blackberry since back in the day. that simple step didnt work
    the contact information not changing unless...after i did unlink BBM contact on that contact information, then it can change the data...

why this thing happening?
    04-11-13 03:12 AM
    I also have an issue on contacts when certain changes can't be edited. Duplicate phone numbers can't be deleted. Phone numbers can't be changed etc.

Seems to be on entries with linked info being pulled from FB and LinkedIn and outlook.com

It's only a few entries but my OCD is making it really annoying

Posted via CB10
    04-11-13 03:22 AM
    i just tried unlink the BBM pin because on there's only 2 links, local and bbm. after that it work. but seems like major headache. on the contact itself everything jumble into 1 contact, name it : bbm,facebook, twitter. they cant sort based on local contact list only
    04-11-13 04:22 AM
    Hope it get fixed on the next major update 10.1.
    04-11-13 04:32 AM
    any news when it's gonna be update to 10.1 ?
    04-11-13 10:12 PM
    i have this issue also - have to reboot.... driving me nuts ... be glad of easier option
    04-23-13 04:01 AM
    nope....i'm avid user of blackberry since back in the day. that simple step didnt work
    the contact information not changing unless...after i did unlink BBM contact on that contact information, then it can change the data...

why this thing happening?
    It is simply the way the contact app in BB10 currently operates. I will try and help you understand.

The issue all surrounds the "Links" that are established for your contacts.

If you have a store rep transfer your contacts over from one device to another (with their magic tool) initially all of your contacts will have 1 and only 1 "Link" = "Local". (there is a possibility I guess if you requested they could transfer them to 1 "Link" = "SIM")

If you transfer/import your contacts from one device to another they could initially have 2 "Links" = "Local" + "SIM" (all contacts saved on device (Local and SIM).

If however you do not transfer or import any contacts but instead sync them with an email account contacts ........ you will have 1 "Link" = @ email.com (Outlook, Yahoo, or Gmail).

Now your contacts are on your device and you add any social media accounts (BBM, Facebook, Twitter, LinkeIn) ........ most contacts will still only have one listing but they will have additional Links for these other social media accounts (i.e 2 "Links" = "Local" + "Facebook"). While they are linked you cannot effectively edit the contact on your phone because you cannot edit their Facebook info. You have to:
    - "Unlink" the Facebook "Link" which will establish duplicate or 2 contacts.
    -Then locate the contact with the phone account "Link".... in this case "Local"....... edit the info for the "Local" contact and save.
    -Then reopen the "Local" contact and open "Link" .... select "Ad Link"
    - Scroll through contacts and add them back together as one contact.

This sound a little screwy ......... but........ if you think about what is happening ..... it kinda makes sense.

Now that you understand a little about "Links" and how they work.............
    Let's assume that you brought all of your contacts in by an email sync and they all have 1 "Link" = @ email .com (Outlook, Yahoo, or Gmail.).
    Now add any random NEW Contact on your phone (Sara Lee, Rocky Balboa, Jim Bob, etc.). Now open the contact and click "Links". You will have 3 "Links":
    1-- Local
    2-- SIM
    3-- @ email.com
    This is because currently there is no default contact account and every new contact is saved to all three places which I guess is the default. You can now go back and "Unlink" and remove any unwanted "Links" from that contact. You delete the contact with the unwanted "Links" and you are left with the contact you want with 1 "Links".

TIP OF THE WEEK: If you sync contacts with an email account, turn off or delete the email account from your phone before you do a data back up with BB Links. If you don't, BB Links will save all of your contacts....... then when you restore from BB Links they all go to "Local". Then if you have a sync'd email account....... you will have duplicate contacts.
    -1 set of contacts from your restore with "Link" = "Local"
    -1 set of contacts from your email sync with "Link" = @ email.com

I hope all of this makes sense. The key is you need to understand "Links" and how they work. I have seen very little posted it, but, managing "Links" is the key to managing your "Contacts.

Hope this helps!!
    harshadpatel likes this.
    04-23-13 06:22 AM
    Another note.......

Sometimes if you add social media accounts some contacts will show as 2 or duplicate contacts because their names or other info does not match.

You can merge them into one contact.
    -- Open the contact with the "Links" associated with your device (Local or SIM or @email.com)
    -- With the contact open click "Links" at the bottom of the display
    -- Click "Ad Link"
    -- Now scroll through your display and find the duplicate contact that is assoicated with or "Link" with the social meda account (BBM, Facebook, Twitter, etc.)
    -- Click that contact and you now have the duplicates merged as one contact (which now has multiple "Links")

NOTE: If you have a contact listed on your phone contact list by only their first name (i.e. - Bubba) ....... when you merge the contact with their social media account the contacts last name will fill showing their last name as listed in the merged social media account (i.e. - Bubba Smith). Now that they are merged ..... you delete "Smith" and reboot all you want but you are not going to change it unless you "Unlink" the accounts and fix it. Then when you link them back as one contact...... it (Smith).... will reappear. That's the way it works and the way it is.

I think that some of this will change going forward. I think (hope) we will have the ability to:
    1 - Set a default contact account
    2 - Manage (add, delete) contact account "Links" when editting a contact.
    I think these 2 options would help our ability to manage contacts. So far in the early/leaked versions of BB 10.1 I have not seen anything that will help.

Hope this helps someone!!

Hope this helps!!!!
    04-23-13 06:37 AM
    Nvm it has been fixed in the leaked hybrid 10.1.

Posted via CB10
    04-23-13 10:18 AM
    hm, thanks. i am a new Z10 user.
    i have tried un-linking the account, editing it and then linking again but still no fix.
    i have added my skype accounts to my Hub and some of them had nicknames. i am finding that when i link these skype accounts to other names in Contacts, a middle name 'XXXX' appears that i can not get rid of no matter how many times i delete it or amend the source profile. i event tried logging into my skype separately on my Mac or through the Z10, and editing it there, but still no success.
    05-27-13 04:16 AM
    With Skype I see the issue with the middle name, too. My work around is to delete the middle name in my Gmail-Contacts entry, and then linking it with the Skype entry. Solved.

Posted via CB10
    05-27-13 09:42 AM