Hi,

My z10 is running on 10.2.0.429 and I have the latest BlackBerry Link installed.

When I'm connecting the z10 with the win 8.0 PC it tells me sometimes that it can't build up a connection.

When a connection is established I get an error message that something went wrong with the backup immediately.

I already uninstalled link but it did not help.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    12-22-13 05:26 AM
    Hi,

My z10 is running on 10.2.0.429 and I have the latest BlackBerry Link installed.

When I'm connecting the z10 with the win 8.0 PC it tells me sometimes that it can't build up a connection.

When a connection is established I get an error message that something went wrong with the backup immediately.

I already uninstalled link but it did not help.

Windows 8.0 had some compatibility issues with early versions of Link, but this usually caused a system crash. (blue screen) Windows 8.1 does not usually have that issue.

Also, sometimes USB 3.0 ports will cause an issue, if you have any USB 2.0 ports I suggest you try those.

Lastly - Link uses a "network over USB" communication paradigm, and this can get blocked by 3rd-party firewall utilities. Do you use one?
    FF22 likes this.
    12-22-13 06:04 AM
    I have tried all the solutions and I couldn't backup again my Z10....

HEEELP!!!
    03-14-14 10:00 AM
    Turn off your phone's wifi...

Trusted Member Genius
    03-14-14 10:19 AM
    I agree about the wifi. Turn it off on your phone. Then connect the phone to your computer via usb.

Step one: Is the phone actually recognized as being attached to the computer? See if your phone's memory is listed as a "drive" under "my computer". If it is, then check to see if Link has the phone showing up as "connected". If it is, then tap on "backup" and see which folder is specified for the backup file. At that point, you should be able to run the backup. If it won't run, or stops inexplicably, trying running a "custom" backup... but set all 3 items checked (application data, settings and the other one).

It should work fine as long as you have the latest version of BlackBerry Link installed on your computer, and your computer has all of its OS updates installed, and your phone has the latest OS 10.2.1.

Plus the previous poster is correct, you need to install Windows 8.1. I just got a new Asus laptop and as soon as I installed 8.1, and ran my first backup as "custom" it worked fine.

My new laptop only has usb 3.0 ports, and my phone connects no problem... as long as I don't plug it into the special "powered" port (which allows a device to be charged when plugged into that port even if the laptop is powered off).
    Last edited by PatrickMJS; 03-17-14 at 10:14 AM.
    03-14-14 11:21 AM
    I'll have to try shutting off wifi. My BlackBerry link takes a good 5 minutes to load up. IE 11 windows 7

Posted via CB10
    03-15-14 05:10 AM
    I guess you dont simply have enough storage place on the linked disk

Posted from my flawless BlackBerry Z10
    03-15-14 05:59 AM
    I guess you dont simply have enough storage place on the linked disk

Ah, if it were so simple.

BlackBerry Link is infamous for connection issues. One of the things that complicates matters for Link is it is not simply standard USB communication. It treats the USB link like a network adapter, which means anything on the system that may impact network connectivity - such as antivirus utilities and personal firewalls - can prevent Link from working properly.

Also, if you want to use the remote access feature of Link, you need to have IPv6 enabled and functional or the remote feature will not work.

KB35458-Issues with connectivity between a BlackBerry smartphone and a computer
    KB34343-Remote File Access feature with BlackBerry Link fails when IPv6 is disabled or blocked
    KB34217-Remote file access in File Manager shows as empty or offline when viewing the desktop on a BlackBerry 10 smartphone
    KB34180-After installing BlackBerry Link the time to load web pages with Windows Internet Explorer may increase
    KB35488-Troubleshooting Issues with BlackBerry Link Software On BlackBerry Smartphones
    KB27424-Identifying and troubleshooting issues with the BlackBerry Desktop Software or BlackBerry Link detecting a BlackBerry PlayBook or BlackBerry 10 smartphone connected via USB
    Last edited by Omnitech; 03-17-14 at 02:02 AM.
    03-17-14 01:51 AM
    Ah, if it were so simple.

BlackBerry Link is infamous for connection issues. One of the things that complicates matters for Link is it is not simply standard USB communication. It treats the USB link like a network adapter, which means anything on the system that may impact network connectivity - such as antivirus utilities and personal firewalls - can prevent Link from working properly.

Also, if you want to use the remote access feature of Link, you need to have IPv6 enabled and functional or the remote feature will not work.

KB35458-Issues with connectivity between a BlackBerry smartphone and a computer
    KB34343-Remote File Access feature with BlackBerry Link fails when IPv6 is disabled or blocked
    KB34217-Remote file access in File Manager shows as empty or offline when viewing the desktop on a BlackBerry 10 smartphone
    KB34180-After installing BlackBerry Link the time to load web pages with Windows Internet Explorer may increase
    KB35488-Troubleshooting Issues with BlackBerry Link Software On BlackBerry Smartphones
    KB27424-Identifying and troubleshooting issues with the BlackBerry Desktop Software or BlackBerry Link detecting a BlackBerry PlayBook or BlackBerry 10 smartphone connected via USB
    You are lucky you can use Blackberry Link,it renders my PC useless after I install it,won't boot up.Luckily I have Acronis to back it up,so get my PC back within minutes,Blackberry Link software is awful.
    03-17-14 02:48 AM
    BlackBerry Link worked fine on my 5 year old Acer laptop with W7. I recently replaced that old unit with a new Asus W8 laptop. BlackBerry Link is working fine fine fine to backup, restore, sync media and sync my contacts & calendar with MS Outlook, for both the Z10 & the Z30 we have here.

The key is to make sure you have all the updates, and have a little patience while the initial connection is being established. It is working very well for me.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by PatrickMJS; 03-18-14 at 10:08 AM.
    03-17-14 10:20 AM
    I have found link doesn't play well with Norton, Kaspersky, McAfee just to name a few. Take your PC offline and disable your antivirus and firewall if you're using any of those. Don't forget to turn them back on when done.
    FF22 likes this.
    03-17-14 10:27 AM