Hi Everyone,

Are there any Canadians out there, by any chance, that have used the prepaid DataConnect plans offered by AT&T with their unlocked Z10 while traveling to US for internet access?

If so:

- how did you do it?
    - does wifi hot spot work (tethering)?

I'm going to Florida in a week and have a MicroSim already from AT&T. Just want to make sure everything is setup before I get there.

Cheers.

Posted via CB10
    04-08-13 07:09 PM
    I would like to know as well. Thanks.
    04-08-13 09:24 PM
    No one? Bummer....
    04-08-13 10:40 PM
    Anyone?

Posted via CB10
    04-09-13 10:29 AM
    Anyone?

Posted via CB10
    Can't you prepay with your Canadian carrier for data/voice/txt? I know it would be more expensive than what you are doing, but still cheaper than paying roaming charges.

I haven't done the unlocking of my phone from Rogers, but was thinking to do the same as you. Not much help, sorry.

Posted Via CB10 on my Zed10
    04-09-13 10:36 AM
    Can't you prepay with your Canadian carrier for data/voice/txt? I know it would be more expensive than what you are doing, but still cheaper than paying roaming charges.

I haven't done the unlocking of my phone from Rogers, but was thinking to do the same as you. Not much help, sorry.

I currently have a virgin LTE microsim for AT&T - so what I am planning to do is activate the DataConnect plan through the iPad prepaid setup. Then pop that sim card in my unlocked Z10.

Just not 100% sure it will work... Do I have to change any APN settings or something like that?

Also want to make sure that tethering will work.
    04-09-13 12:29 PM
    I know this doesn't really answer your question but I use a roam mobility sim when travelling in the US. Works fantastic with unlimited talk, text and generous data plans at a very reasonable cost.
    04-09-13 12:47 PM
    I know this doesn't really answer your question but I use a roam mobility sim when travelling in the US. Works fantastic with unlimited talk, text and generous data plans at a very reasonable cost.
    Hey hutchmanz,

I asked this in a thread elsewhere but no one replied, but can you confirm that you were able to get a roam mobility SIM card to work in a Z10 with data? Roam mobility told me that due to not being able to edit the APN on a Z10, I could not get data with them.
    04-09-13 01:56 PM
    I used it in my galaxy 3 before I bought the Z10. Sorry!
    Smitty13 likes this.
    04-09-13 01:59 PM
    I guess I'm SOL if I can't update the APN right?

Anyone know if AT&T allows Z10 owners to change it?

Posted via CB10
    04-09-13 05:42 PM

Posted via CB10
    As far as I know if you are a postpaid, or contract plan with AT&T it works flawlessly and the APN settings do not need to be changed. However, if you are on a prepaid plan like Straight Talk or GoPhone there have been some noted APN issues: see here, here and here.

From what I have also gathered, some people have had success using T-Mobile prepaid plans. Perhaps that is something you may want to look into?
    04-09-13 05:59 PM

Posted via CB10
    Martin

I'm not sure you need to set it because it may be automatically set by the mobile network. Putting in the micro SIM may set it. I could be wrong, so check on the AT&T support website.

04-09-13 06:00 PM
    Do yourself a favor and just get a T-Mobile account. No contracts, great plans and acceptable coverage. Easier than trying to fuss with AT&T data connect plans which may or may not work. In the past few weeks I've been in NYC and Arizona and all I did was walk into a T-Mobile store, pay my money and was up and running. Took all of 5 mins.

http://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phone-p...ndividual.html
    04-09-13 06:07 PM
    Do yourself a favor and just get a T-Mobile account. No contracts, great plans and acceptable coverage. Easier than trying to fuss with AT&T data connect plans which may or may not work. In the past few weeks I've been in NYC and Arizona and all I did was walk into a T-Mobile store, pay my money and was up and running. Took all of 5 mins.

http://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phone-p...ndividual.html
    How's the speed? Do you get full LTE with the Canadian hardware? Does it allow tethering /hotspot?

Posted via CB10
    04-09-13 06:44 PM
    Also - I don't need the talk portion. All I want is data if possible.

Posted via CB10
    04-09-13 06:46 PM
    So here I'm am in DC and just bought a SIM card from T-MOBILE. About $85 for 30 days. I didn't pay attention to the minutes or number of texts I get. All I cared was unlimited data usage for 30 days and then you just add more money when the 30 day period is over. Works for me as I'm back and forth to the US a lot this year. One thing though. I don't seem to get LTE on my phone. 4G at best, but if I do get LTE later, I'll update again.

Posted via CB10
    04-12-13 04:31 PM