Can the Z10 be backed up or restored by the USB cable only, to and from a local computer, without any Internet connection?

Thank you.

Posted via ZB10
    01-07-14 10:02 AM
    As far as I know, yes.

Edit: not necessarily. USB is the only way to backup via BlackBerry Link, but if you turn on Wifi Access and manually copy files over, then you could "backup" that way. But you'd lose things like settings, contacts, messages, etc. as this method could really only backup media files.

Posted via CB10
    01-07-14 10:03 AM
    Yes, I've done that, copying media files, but where are the files to Notes, phone book, calendar, and other apps?

Thanks

Posted via ZB10
    01-07-14 10:10 AM
    They're protected files that, as far as I can tell, aren't accessible via the file manager or through device storage access from a desktop machine. I suppose you could try to use something like the Android app "Ghost Commander" to attempt to find the directories, but that's probably more work than you're looking for and I'm not even sure if it's possible.

In short, until BlackBerry decides to restore Protect to its former glory, looks like we're stuck tethered to the USB cable.

Posted via CB10
    01-07-14 10:14 AM
    An Internet connection is not required to perform a backup.

Posted via CB10
    01-07-14 10:15 AM
    An Internet connection is not required to perform a backup.

Posted via CB10
    Thank you!

How do I back up without internet by using cable only?

Posted via ZB10
    Last edited by BlackBerry USA; 01-07-14 at 10:54 AM.
    01-07-14 10:24 AM
    OH! I see what your issue is now, my apologies. The way Link works now is that it assigns the backups you create to your BBID, so that when you restore it checks for an identical login account on the device. It's also used for other services like Remote File Access, but that's another topic of discussion.

I'm thinking that it should still let you create the backup using the device pin, and the more I think about it, the more ridiculous it seems that it would use the BBID instead of the pin to accurately assign backups to the appropriate device (so maybe I'm wrong there?)

Have you ever used Link with a different device? If you can check, look to see if you're running the latest version (I think you tap the gear icon and select check for updates). Also, what OS version do you have on your device?

Posted via CB10
    01-07-14 10:31 AM
    OH! I see what your issue is now, my apologies..... Also, what OS version do you have on your device?

Posted via CB10
    Appreciate your response. Let me know if there's a way to back up by cable only.

Thank you.

Posted via ZB10
    01-07-14 11:02 AM
    Link is not the best. I do wonder if you can just simply backup using it without having to deal specifically with BBID. But if it truly will not backup or restore in the absence of any internet - one more lousy aspect of the software. I can see someone with a laptop in the middle of nowhere needing to backup or restore - what does Link do then!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-07-14 03:29 PM
    Link is not the best. I do wonder if you can just simply backup using it without having to deal specifically with BBID. But if it truly will not backup or restore in the absence of any internet - one more lousy aspect of the software. I can see someone with a laptop in the middle of nowhere needing to backup or restore - what does Link do then!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11
    Mobile hotspot and pray you can find a cellular signal?

Posted via CB10
    01-07-14 03:34 PM
    I think it is an inherent weakness of the platform, the lack of secured local backup.

Someone earlier said cable backup is possible but did not elaborate on how. Please do share.

Posted via ZB10
    01-07-14 04:44 PM
    I think it is an inherent weakness of the platform, the lack of secured local backup.

Someone earlier said cable backup is possible but did not elaborate on how. Please do share.

Posted via ZB10
    Actually, the loss of BB Protect which backed up contacts, calendar and similar personal data is also an incredible loss.

My z10 is downstairs charging and I'm upstairs. You can try experimenting. Turn off wifi/data (airplane mode??) and connect to Link and see if it will back up.
    00stryder likes this.
    01-07-14 08:25 PM
    Thanks. Will try it.

Posted via ZB10
    01-07-14 09:43 PM
    You simply use BlackBerry Link. The backup/restore functionality works without needing an Internet connection, and does not require you to sign-in to your BlackBerry ID.
    Mecca EL and mkelley65 like this.
    01-07-14 10:37 PM
    You simply use BlackBerry Link. The backup/restore functionality works without needing an Internet connection, and does not require you to sign-in to your BlackBerry ID.
    Are you sure about that? I don't know for certain myself, I'm usually connected to the Internet on my laptop when performing backups, and I'm too lazy to get out of bed to check now to be absolutely sure.

Posted via CB10
    01-07-14 11:30 PM
    Thanks am so glad to hear that! But I've tried that variously, with device Setting BBLINK on and off, with Mass Storage on and off, & with device Wifi on and off and different combination of them too. None of them would let Link read my device except only if I have the Internet open and signed in to Link.

Been looking for a work around, this is totally unacceptable.

What version OS and model do you have? Am on 2039 and am a dash 4.

Posted via ZB10
    01-08-14 12:44 AM
    Thanks am so glad to hear that! But I've tried that variously, with device Setting BBLINK on and off, with Mass Storage on and off, & with device Wifi on and off and different combination of them too. None of them would let Link read my device except only if I have the Internet open and signed in to Link.

Been looking for a work around, this is totally unacceptable.

What version OS and model do you have? Am on 2039 and am a dash 4.

Posted via ZB10
    Thanks for running some tests. I have not had the time to turn off data/wifi to run tests. But if your results hold - it is a very poor implementation.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-08-14 08:46 AM
    ...But I've tried that variously, with device Setting BBLINK on and off, with Mass Storage on and off, & with device Wifi on and off and different combination of them too. None of them would let Link read my device except only if I have the Internet open and signed in to Link...
    That's weird. I don't understand it, but it seems to work for me. I'm actually trying it right now again, and it's backing up for me. No signed into BBID on computer. Phone has all Wifi/data connections disabled, and had them disabled before even connected to computer.

Phone links up with Link just fine, and it lets me backup. I know the Link instructions say that one must be "signed into BBID" for their personal space to be backed up. So I'm not sure if my backup has everything I need? But the backup that is happening right now, is Application Data, Settings, and Media. And looks to be the same size as my normal backups (when connected to Internet). (I tried this prior too).

Can Z10 be backed up by cable only?-link.jpg
    Mecca EL and 00stryder like this.
    01-08-14 08:48 AM
    That's weird. I don't understand it, but it seems to work for me. I'm actually trying it right now again, and it's backing up for me. No signed into BBID on computer. Phone has all Wifi/data connections disabled, and had them disabled before even connected to computer.

Phone links up with Link just fine, and it lets me backup. I know the Link instructions say that one must be "signed into BBID" for their personal space to be backed up. So I'm not sure if my backup has everything I need? But the backup that is happening right now, is Application Data, Settings, and Media. And looks to be the same size as my normal backups (when connected to Internet). (I tried this prior too).
    Are you a BES user/have a Work partition on your device? That could be it, perhaps.

Posted via CB10
    01-08-14 09:59 AM
    OH, WAIT..... My computer was connected to the Internet. And I don't have the time/inclination to cut it off for that test.

What the heck takes Link so long to Load? Sheesh, it probably has been 3 or 4 minutes and still only the Splash Screen. I entered Airplane Mode. If LINK ever loads I will test ....

Well, it appears that with Airplane Mode enabled (all radios, including wifi and data and bt ARE OFF), it is backing up. So, at least, I do not need any connection to the Internet. I am a personal user. I do not have any Corporate Policies controlling my phone.

Edited to add the first paragraph!!!!
    Last edited by F2; 01-08-14 at 11:20 AM.
    00stryder likes this.
    01-08-14 11:04 AM
    That's weird. I don't understand it, but it seems to work for me. I'm actually trying it right now again, and it's backing up for me....
    Thanks for the update and the visual. I think I'll reinstall Link and try it your way. Are you on OS 2039 and also a dash 4 device?

Much obliged.

Posted via ZB10
    01-08-14 11:09 AM
    Thanks for the update and the visual. I think I'll reinstall Link and try it your way. Are you on OS 2039 and also a dash 4 device?
    I'm currently running leaked OS 10.2.1.1925, and have the STL100-3 z10.
    And it's just a personal phone, not tied to enterprise, or any "workspace".
    00stryder likes this.
    01-08-14 11:37 AM
    Are you sure, that the problem isn't driver related?

When you connect your device for the first time it may need to query the net for drivers for the bbry (and it needs lots of them). Once the drivers are installed, you should not require Internet going forward.

Posted via CB from my LE
    00stryder likes this.
    01-08-14 11:46 AM
    Good suggestion!

Posted via CB10
    01-08-14 11:56 AM
    Yes, I've done that, copying media files, but where are the files to Notes, phone book, calendar, and other apps?

Thanks

Posted via ZB10
    All but Application and game data are saved in Settings, the third part of a Link back up.

Posted via ZB10
    You can locally back up contact data to your SIM... which I've found to be bugging for me. Not all contact info is intact, in my personal experience. Also, there's a BB Password Keeper beta, floating around these parts, that you can securely backup locally. The current version of PWK has an export feature only.

Depending on your idea about "secure", you can cloud backup important data using any of your email clients, or apps like Fire Chest. I personally use Fire Chest, Contact X, SMS Backup, and my email for calendar backup. You have MANY options, outside of solely relying on BB Link.
    00stryder likes this.
    01-08-14 12:08 PM
28 12