i am staying in a hotel,
    my laptop picks ups the wifi signal (20-80%) and gives me good speeds
    my z10 does NOT find the same wifi signal
    is there a way to connect/pair my laptop and z10
    so can my z10 use my laptops connection ?

all i find online is how to make laptop use z10 connection which is opposite to what i am looking for
    i am using Samsung Smart PC Pro laptop with windows 8.1
    i do already have a data plan on local sim card but the signal is also not good where i am, and my battery is constantly drained while signal hunting.
    my z10 can find and use wifi, it just does not have as good range as my laptop and cannot find the hotel wifi.
    obviously as i am staying in a hotel i do not have router access which is what seems to be needed to make laptop into signal booster/repeater/range extender

How can i get my z10 to connect using my laptops connection ?
    12-05-14 09:28 PM
    So you're basically looking to turn your laptop into a WiFi hotspot. Have you tried something like this: Free WiFi Hotspot - Free download and software reviews - CNET Download.com
    12-05-14 09:48 PM
    So you're basically looking to turn your laptop into a WiFi hotspot. Have you tried something like this: Free WiFi Hotspot - Free download and software reviews - CNET Download.com
    It won't work to use laptop's wifi as client and hotspot in the same time.
    Paisley Pirate likes this.
    12-05-14 11:22 PM
    I have already tried 3 hot spot programs
    (connectify and 2 others)
    but all are useless, providing very slow speeds (0.2-0.4mbps)

My laptop is getting 7+mbps,
    But my z10 simply cannot find the wifi signal,
    Now and again it does show the signal, but at bare minimum and will not connect

Posted via CB10
    12-06-14 12:53 AM
    Yeh i understand about wifi client being used and that's probably why all hot spot apps provide useless speed

I was wondering if there was anyway to tether the connection via blue tooth from my laptop to my z10?

Tethering only seems to work the other way around

Posted via CB10
    12-06-14 12:56 AM
    If you had a second network device such as a router or USB wifi card it might be possible to connect the Z10 to your laptop.

Since you've tried various apps and considered Bluetooth, all that's left is to wonder why the Z10 is not able to sense such a strong wifi signal...

I just discovered that my Z10 also has weaker signals for my neighbours' wifi than my laptop.
    Last edited by m3mb3rsh1p; 12-06-14 at 03:57 AM.
    12-06-14 03:08 AM
    Yeh i dont really pack a router when i travel, and my laptop has wifi built in and also sim card slot so i have no need for dongle either (one of the main reasons I got the Samsung smart pc pro)

The laptop does not pick up the signal 100% but mostly around 50% strength but that is good enough to give me good speeds

But my z10 rarely ever see the signal, unless I leave my room and go downstairs and then it will, it's just an annoyance to do this though

Posted via CB10
    12-06-14 09:57 PM
    Which Hotspot programs did you try? Were they Windows programs that allow other devices to connect to your laptop's internet through Bluetoooth?
    12-07-14 12:30 AM
    Nope they were wifi hot spots, which programs do you know that allow your phone to share laptops connection over blue tooth? As that is what i am asking about and looking for

Posted via CB10
    12-07-14 04:44 AM
    You could try a WIFI extender. Normally used to extend your network to dead spots at home/work. I use mine to get WIFI in my garage

It receives on one channel and broadcasts on another. They plug into the rooms power socket.

300Mbps Wireless N 802 11n WiFi Range Router Repeater Extender Booster US Plug | eBay
    12-07-14 05:37 AM
    I used Virtual Router the last time I was on a plane. Had no issues at all. http://virtualrouter.codeplex.com/

Posted via CB10
    12-07-14 06:56 AM
    I didn't think MS windows had any such features as a device that sends a signal to other devices.
    Normally, you would connect to the PC, not visa versa.

jtvberry
    12-07-14 09:28 AM
    Nope they were wifi hot spots, which programs do you know that allow your phone to share laptops connection over blue tooth? As that is what i am asking about and looking for

Posted via CB10
    You shouldn't need the Bluetooth to make a hotspot connection, which is to allow your other devices to connect to the Internet.
    Bluetooth does not give you an Internet connection but maybe on your BB PlayBook, and it allows you to be able just to exchange files without having to use Internet.

jtvberry
    12-07-14 09:43 AM
    1 - no extras - he's in a hotel.
    2 - 802.11x cards run 1 way - unless you have 2 802.11x cards (or even better a hard wire connection for the laptop) then you are pretty much SOL that way.
    3 - bluetooth - if your laptop has that, and you are close enough to it (within 20 feet roughly - maybe less - it sounds like a lot of emf in the room?) you *should* be able to get connectivity through the laptop with your phone. Sounds like you haven't hit the right combo yet with software though.
    4 - usb patchcord to the computer from the Z10? (I don't know if this is an option - but it may be)

I had that kind of connectivity problem with 2 pcs when I was traveling. It was being in the (not so) sweet spot between 2 wifi transmitters for the hotel (and it created a dead zone) so my little netbook could connect up no problem, but my buddies XPS would just look and look. We ended up running a patch cord from mine to his (I always carry a couple of patch cords with me) and we could both be on.
    12-07-14 11:07 AM
    I found out that Broadcom has some software that would enable this functionality but it is tied to their own chipsets. Try it if you have a Broadcom chipset. You can search for other software that provides the same functionality for other chipsets using such terms as "Bluetooth DUN", "Dial-up server/host" etc but most uses for Bluetooth networking seem to be targeted at computers getting internet from phones. There are some results from the *nix world, though if you want to try that.

Bluetooth Software Download | Broadcom

That will take care of setting up a Dial-up server (modem) on Windows and for the Client side (your Z10), you would have to use something like BluVPN for Android (I haven't found a BB World App) to connect to your computer.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....bluevpn&hl=en
    12-07-14 11:42 AM
    Thanks to all who replied, a special thanks to paisley pirate for fully reading my issue and pointing out the obvious to others, in the end I simply gave up and have had to make do with leaving my room to get certain things done which i need my phone for, which has been a bit if a pain, i am just very surprised there is no such way for your mobile to jump onto your laptops connection, and it must be similar for many devices but my laptop picked up signals so much better, it is crazy as i also have 4G data plan which connects fine once outside the hotel, although signal is patchy in country i am in, i do wonder if the new swimming pool being built may be cause, as right not it is just a huge grid of iron bars as they have not yet poured in the concrete, who knows

Posted via CB10
    12-10-14 06:01 AM
    You are welcome. The thing I get to tell my students (and fellow students - since I am both student and teacher) is that you have to pay attention to detail.
    I don't think most phone mfgrs have ever thought about "going backwards" - ie tying the phone to the wifi via a computer - since the phone is by definition supposed to have signal, it would be the computer attempting to tie to and talk out from the phone - That said, I have had to do that very thing a few times over the years.

I wouldn't think the pool and the iron around it would cause the problem, I'd sooner bet there is either a lot of steel in the hotel walls or a lot of electro-magnetic energy around there causing a signal disruption.

I remember one hotel we stayed in that was right next to some 250KV power lines - talk about signal killer - eek. It doesn't take a lot of EM to kill signal when you are dealing with milliwatt outputs.

Have a great day (and maybe pack a small cheapo router or usb nic with you next time!)
    jtv1 likes this.
    12-10-14 09:26 AM
    You are welcome. The thing I get to tell my students (and fellow students - since I am both student and teacher) is that you have to pay attention to detail.
    I don't think most phone mfgrs have ever thought about "going backwards" - ie tying the phone to the wifi via a computer - since the phone is by definition supposed to have signal, it would be the computer attempting to tie to and talk out from the phone - That said, I have had to do that very thing a few times over the years.

I wouldn't think the pool and the iron around it would cause the problem, I'd sooner bet there is either a lot of steel in the hotel walls or a lot of electro-magnetic energy around there causing a signal disruption.

I remember one hotel we stayed in that was right next to some 250KV power lines - talk about signal killer - eek. It doesn't take a lot of EM to kill signal when you are dealing with milliwatt outputs.

Have a great day (and maybe pack a small cheapo router or usb nic with you next time!)
    That's a good point.
    Your signal being deflected and being disrupted away from your device.

jtvberry
    12-10-14 10:43 AM
    I used Virtual Router the last time I was on a plane. Had no issues at all. http://virtualrouter.codeplex.com/

Posted via CB10
    I still don't see why this won't work for you. It does what you asked. You connect to wifi on your laptop, run this software, and it makes your laptop a Hotspot. I have used it in a plane and at my dad's house.

Posted via CB10
    jtv1 likes this.
    01-09-15 10:01 AM
    Hi,

Windows 7 introduced a hosted wireless hotpsot enabling Windows x86/x64 devices with a compatible chipset to use the same Wi-Fi adapter as a receiver as well as hotspot.

You'll need to be an admin to do this via the Administrator command prompt (run as administrator)

Here are the commands to set it up:

netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=�yourSSID� key=�yourwpakey

Replace your SSID with the ID of the hotspot you want to create and yourwpakey with the password

Then to start it:

netsh wlan start hostednetwork

Then to share this, open the Network adapters (ncpa.cpl in the command prompt), right-click on your Wi-Fi connection, click on the sharing tab and enable.

From the network connections shown, select the hosted network created above.
    02-04-15 07:16 AM