I rarely find completely not working apps on Google Play, but very often on BlackBerry World. Also, many free apps for Android and iOS are paid for BlackBerry. Not to mention hundreds of "free" apps on BlackBerry World that are free for few runs only or can't do anything. I have about 30 apps on my Z10 and spent days in looking for something that simply works. It's really that bad. I remember having much better apps for BBOS before.

The Hub is the only reason for me to use BlackBerry 10 phone. Everything else is years behind the competition, hardware and software.

Posted via CB10
    01-07-15 04:35 PM
    I have my Z10 since August.
    Camera 8/10 sometime the camera doesn't focus fast enough and to get to your camera from your Lockscreen it takes too long.

Battery is Ok lasts12-14 hours so when I get home I charge it. You can buy a battery bundle.

And for gaming get yourself a vita if you have a Ps4 they correspondent it's a nice feature you can Play your ps4 games on vita if the tv is occupied for example!

Posted with my awesome  Z10
    01-07-15 04:46 PM
    I rarely find completely not working apps on Google Play, but very often on BlackBerry World. Also, many free apps for Android and iOS are paid for BlackBerry. Not to mention hundreds of "free" apps on BlackBerry World that are free for few runs only or can't do anything. I have about 30 apps on my Z10 and spent days in looking for something that simply works. It's really that bad. I remember having much better apps for BBOS before.

The Hub is the only reason for me to use BlackBerry 10 phone. Everything else is years behind the competition, hardware and software.

Posted via CB10
    By worthless I mean, poorly designed. And I often get the message "get rid of advertising" on Android apps that were free to load but really pay to play. I must disagree with your general comments on BBerry apps, however. You spent "days" looking for something that works? Well, not sure what you're looking for, but the vast majority of my apps are BBerry. Furthermore I absolutely do not mind paying for an app as I want to support a developer who does good. I've had my phone since USA launch at Tmo and am perfectly satisfied. Only reason I have a Defy for backup is because it's small and very tough so I carry it in a sleeve pocket when motorcycling.
    01-07-15 07:25 PM
    I've had my phone since USA launch at Tmo and am perfectly satisfied.
    I can easily give you a list of simple requirements with no solution on BB10 OS. And it's only to come close to my HTC Android device functions, nothing more. There is no point to compare Android with BB10 OS and ecosystems. Over 80% of mobile users prefer Android OS for a reason.
    01-07-15 08:14 PM

Posted via CB10
    I don't know what you are looking for but for me, my need of apps are perfectly covered by BB10. I am tempted to write the list not for you but for OP and like

Dayly - Diary app with photo support
    MyAccountant - Personal finance management
    Password Keeper
    Readitnow - Pocket client
    Navfree - Navigation app
    Stuff@Home - database of items and their value at home or anywhere
    CascaRun - Sport fitness app
    bPod - Podcast app
    gNewsReader - RSS reader
    Writer - A simple writing tool
    Bookzy - Book database
    Stocks - stock tracking
    Checked Task Pro - Task management
    Fast Tube - You tube client

I have given only my first menu page. Do I need to give the other 4 pages?

P.S: Don't bring the Free vs Paid argument. Losers does that. Please make a habit of paying for the hard work of others.
    01-08-15 01:19 AM
    The single most helpful, time saving thing you can do is make sure your contacts and calendar are synced to a Google or Outlook account so that when you make a switch and add the account to your new BlackBerry, it will sync automatically.

Also, If you're considering a z10, get a charging bundle and another spare (you'll easily get through a day and night w/o being tied to a wall charger and they go for cheap these days), check out the latest leaked OS (10.3.1) since overall it's better than the official OS (10.2.1) with regards to the camera and the android runtime and cellular radio, and if you want to carry over most of your paid android apps from the play store check out the post about installing the official play store (most of mine carried over no problem).

Posted via CB10 via the Internets
    Last edited by sibeans; 01-08-15 at 03:44 AM.
    FF22 and PatrickMJS like this.
    01-08-15 03:30 AM
    No, most BlackBerry apps are not good. It's actually hard to find a good one. Just look at the ratings, very few are 5-star apps. Many are ported from Android and old versions. Facebook is lagging a lot, Instagram version is so so, eBay is an old Android version, PayPal doesn't exist at all, etc. Built-in apps are not better. Maps is years behind Google Maps, Camera app is very basic, Browser is very basic (but fast), Music Player has no equalizer, etc.

Coming to BB10 from a good hardware Android device running JellyBean and up will be a huge disappointment, except for basic communication needs. This is what BlackBerry is good for. Classic is an updated 2 years old phone (Q10) and not worth the price. Passport is a good hardware device, but not for everyone and suffers from same weak ecosystem.

Posted via CB10
    With the exception of twitter I found the BlackBerry apps good.

Swiped on my Passport!
    01-09-15 01:44 PM
    I have given only my first menu page. Do I need to give the other 4 pages?
    Do you have somewhere in your other pages apps that can do the following:

- increasing ringer volume (starts quiet and goes louder with every ring)
    - automatic vibration control (ON in pocket, OFF on the desk)
    - automatic WIFI on/off control based on location using cellular towers, not GPS
    - text editor with option to Create a new *.txt file
    - location based reminder (like in your office you get "Send reports to X" notification)
    - simple music player able to play files by directory (mainly for voice notes, not music)
    - native web browser with some form of computer browser sync, anything that works

It's a serious question. As you see I need simple things to use in my work, nothing crazy. I use BlackBerry devices for years and I found a solution or a workaround for many things, but I'm still looking for good solutions on above listed requirements. I know very well what simply can't be done on BB10, so I'm not going to waste your time with this kind of questions.
    01-09-15 05:51 PM
    - location based reminder (like in your office you get "Send reports to X" notification)
    Hmm.. i am not aware of this function.. thanks for sharing!

Posted via CB10
    01-09-15 09:06 PM
    Hmm.. i am not aware of this function.. thanks for sharing!
    Reminders in iOS can do it, Google Now in Android can do it... nothing in BB10.

Posted via CB10
    01-09-15 09:34 PM

It's a serious question. As you see I need simple things to use in my work, nothing crazy. I use BlackBerry devices for years and I found a solution or a workaround for many things, but I'm still looking for good solutions on above listed requirements. I know very well what simply can't be done on BB10, so I'm not going to waste your time with this kind of questions.
    Right... As I recall 10.3 does ringer tricks, and I seem to be able to create .txt files on "Documents To Go" (first time I've tried, never needing one, ever, and I am a professional writer), but to be perfectly honest the rest of your supposed "simple needs" are unlikely to be seen as common needs by most users. For instance, the BBerry Hub is far more useful than a GPS triggered email launch. There are so many apps on Android, if you scrounge around you're bound to find ones BBerry doesn't have.

So... if these really important apps are so crucial to the list of the supposed simple things you need to work, you're pretty silly not to leave BBerry and go with Android. Right?
    01-10-15 08:35 AM
    My reason to list out is just to emphasize the app situation. It is completely up to user to decide whether the apps are enough for one or not. Just saying BB Apps are not good enough is no way helpful to OP, imo.
    FF22 likes this.
    01-10-15 10:38 AM
    My reason to list out is just to emphasize the app situation. It is completely up to user to decide whether the apps are enough for one or not. Just saying BB Apps are not good enough is no way helpful to OP, imo.
    Could have fooled me...
    01-10-15 01:22 PM
    What do you mean by apps are not good enough?

Are you saying that native Cascades built apps aren't good?
    Or that the selection is too small?

BlackBerry Z30 Chenpion
    01-10-15 02:00 PM
    There are so many apps on Android, if you scrounge around you're bound to find ones BBerry doesn't have.
    Unfortunately, none of Android apps with direct hardware access requirements works correctly on BB10. Some features work, others don't. It's a hit and miss. I tried hundreds of apps, none is good on BB10.

So... if these really important apps are so crucial to the list of the supposed simple things you need to work, you're pretty silly not to leave BBerry and go with Android. Right?
    I have both Android and BB10 devices. Just trying to replicate in BB10 the functionality I have on Android, but chances are very slim. So much for business oriented BB10. Hub itself is good, but not enough.

For instance, the BBerry Hub is far more useful than a GPS triggered email launch.
    I never wanted to launch email app. The idea is completely different. You need batteries and you have your local Walmart location stored. When you're close to Walmart, the phone will send you "Buy batteries from Walmart" notification. Just as an example.

and I seem to be able to create .txt files on "Documents To Go"...
    Docs To Go gives 2 options only - *.doc and *.xls. And the reason I need to create *.txt is simply because Dropbox for BB10 can't create any files (unlike Android version), and I need to add daily information as a new *.txt file for automatic processing on another device (reading the files in set intervals). May sound complicated, but I like to make machines work for me. The lack of options on BB10 in some areas is actually limiting my business.

BB10 users have to check from time to time what other platforms are capable of. What used to be an advantage in BBOS and BB10 now in 2015 is just the basics and not enough for more advanced users. Many business tools are simply not available on BB10.
    01-10-15 05:50 PM
    Docs To Go gives 2 options only - *.doc and *.xls. And the reason I need to create *.txt is simply because Dropbox for BB10 can't create any files (unlike Android version), and I need to add daily information as a new *.txt file for automatic processing on another device (reading the files in set intervals).
    The app Noted can create TXT files. It is not one of the advertised functions (or it wasn't). If I recall, you have to EXPORT or some such.
    vbdwork likes this.
    01-11-15 09:36 AM
    I'll keep it brief. The HUB is a game changer. Don't let anyone convince you other wise. You can reply to Texts, Emails, BBMS, Facebook, LinkedIn, etc if you want all from one place without independently entering the app! It will absolutely increase productivity.

The drawback of the Z10 is the small battery life especially if you are use to 4000mAh. I think you'd be better of with the Z30 or willing check out the Passport.

Q10 waiting for The Classic to come to VZW
    01-11-15 09:44 AM
    The app Noted can create TXT files. It is not one of the advertised functions (or it wasn't). If I recall, you have to EXPORT or some such.
    Will check it out, thanks!

For 2 of the requirements above I have a solution:
    - *.txt file - Text Note app (Android)
    - play folder - Music Folder Player (Android)

Both work well on BB10. For the rest though, still looking. The thing is many BB10 apps are paid and there is no easy refund system on BlackBerry World. I have purchased quite a few apps there that just don't work or don't even match description.
    01-11-15 10:35 AM
43 12