We're about to switch to exchange at work. Once this happens, I'm wondering if I can create a work account on my Q10 and receive work email? Is it as simple as entering the exchange settings or do I have to involved IT? (obviously prefer to do it all myself)

I don't really understand the technicalities behind it all but I'm hoping it's possible as this would mean I don't have to rely on my work iphone.
    08-05-13 07:59 AM
    You will need the password of the account, which (in my case) had to ask to Systems department..
    08-05-13 08:07 AM
    As long as it is a simple exchange server with no BES, it should work, given my experience with my school's system. Sounds like it would given that it works off your iPhone.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    08-05-13 08:10 AM
    You will need the password of the account, which (in my case) had to ask to Systems department..
    That's all? Would this password happen to be the same as the login password? Password I use to log in to my system everyday etc?
    08-05-13 08:11 AM
    As long as it is a simple exchange server with no BES, it should work, given my experience with my school's system. Sounds like it would given that it works off your iPhone.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    No let me explain a little clearer.

We're currently using Lotus Notes with Blackberry as the mobile device. We're shortly migrating to Exchange and they're changing to iPhones ironically. There will be no BES once this happens. I'd like to reduce my reliance on the work iPhone and use my Q10 to receive and send my work email, as well as all my personal email etc. Is that possible?
    08-05-13 08:14 AM
    Why did you even buy Q10 as your personal device?

Just go with iPhone and enjoy.

Sent from my SGH-I717R using CB Forums mobile app
    08-05-13 08:41 AM
    Why did you even buy Q10 as your personal device?

Just go with iPhone and enjoy.

Sent from my SGH-I717R using CB Forums mobile app
    I don't really think that's relevant to my question. I switched from iPhone some time ago. The point is I have my personal phone and my work phone, if I can get my work email on my personal phone it would really help me stay on top of my email as I don't carry my work mobile outside of work hours.
    08-05-13 08:57 AM
    Our company did a similar change, pre-model 10's are still supported on the BES, but the model 10's as well as IPhones & Androids are being connected to our company e-mail via Active Sync. Our IT has a procedure for activating the different phones. Once you go through that setup procedure with your phone, it sends an e-mail to them as a notification you're trying to sync to e-mail. Once they approve it, you're good to go. You may want to ask them about this Active Sync procedure.
    08-05-13 09:07 AM
    Yes you can. It is simple as BlackBerry supports EAS (Exchange Active Sync). This is what I am using at work. It is a simple setup. Just enter your Exchange account login ID and voila!

Posted via CB10
    08-05-13 09:15 AM
    That's all? Would this password happen to be the same as the login password? Password I use to log in to my system everyday etc?
    That worked for me, login and pw, just had to manually change the mail address server
    08-05-13 10:27 AM
    Yes you can. It is simple as BlackBerry supports EAS (Exchange Active Sync). This is what I am using at work. It is a simple setup. Just enter your Exchange account login ID and voila!

Posted via CB10
    Excellent, this is what I was hoping for. Will make life so much easier!

Posted via Q10 goodness!!
    08-05-13 06:34 PM
    I don't really think that's relevant to my question. I switched from iPhone some time ago. The point is I have my personal phone and my work phone, if I can get my work email on my personal phone it would really help me stay on top of my email as I don't carry my work mobile outside of work hours.
    Does your company allow corporate email on personal smartphones? If yes, you can have Microsoft Exchange account set up on your BlackBerry Q10 in less than 5 minutes.

Posted via CB10 from the BlackBerry Z10
    08-05-13 08:38 PM
    If you are in the US, just be aware, the Federal courts have already ruled that it's ok, if you use any personal device at work or for work, the company has the right to take if from you. This is important in the case of personal phones used for company email. The company can take it from you in the case of any legal questions that they may have with customers or especially any ligation with the courts involved.
    The company that I work for doesn't even allow company email on a personal phone. They will furnish a company phone (either iPhone or BB) if a person needs access to work email while not at the site itself.

Just a "FYI" in you're in the US.

Fred
    08-05-13 09:55 PM
    Does your company allow corporate email on personal smartphones? If yes, you can have Microsoft Exchange account set up on your BlackBerry Q10 in less than 5 minutes.

Posted via CB10 from the BlackBerry Z10
    Not really.....excuse if that we're too security conscious, but I have a feeling it's got more to do with laziness.

In any case, if I could do it without them knowing it would be great. There's nothing sinister about it, I just want to be able to access my work email on my Q10 rather than having to lug around a second phone everywhere I go, even on my personal time.

Let's say I lost my device, can they remotely cut the device off from receiving email? I'm guessing no, right?
    08-06-13 01:47 AM
    I believe there are protocols in place with Active Sync that let the server admins wipe the phone, but unlike BES10 it will wipe the entire phone. This includes all your personal stuff, hence the need for separated personal and work partitions.

And they WILL know who's accessing their network. It's not like your phone is hidden/invisible. They will just need a reason to look at the server logs. My old company noticed I was on the network because of that whole iOS EAS fiasco causing server crashes. They were tracking down all the iphone 5 users and booting them and in the process booted me as well.

If the Microsoft*ActiveSync account is within the Personal Perimeter (personal email account), the RemoteWipe command will wipe all contents*on*the*BlackBerry*smartphone. If the Microsoft*ActiveSync account is within the Work Perimeter (enrolled on a BlackBerry Device Service server), then the RemoteWipe will only wipe the Microsoft*ActiveSync account from the Work Perimeter.
    link: http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/b...ListHelperImpl
    08-06-13 03:06 AM
    Thanks for all the info. It may be too difficult by the sounds of it. I think IT manager will get upset if he finds out, wouldn't want that!

08-06-13 03:09 AM
    Thanks for all the info. It may be too difficult by the sounds of it. I think IT manager will get upset if he finds out, wouldn't want that!

I'm missing something here. It is not too difficult at all. You will be accessing the EAS the same way an iPhone would. Same control by IT.

Posted via CB10
    08-06-13 06:59 AM
    I'm missing something here. It is not too difficult at all. You will be accessing the EAS the same way an iPhone would. Same control by IT.

Posted via CB10
    Yes, you're missing the fact that IT has a huge rod up their ***. "Only work devices can access work email". They're not even willing to look at other options. Tried to have a discussion about it yesterday and basically got told off. Bunch of morons. Too scared to support something they don't understand.

08-06-13 06:34 PM
    Yes, you're missing the fact that IT has a huge rod up their ***. "Only work devices can access work email". They're not even willing to look at other options. Tried to have a discussion about it yesterday and basically got told off. Bunch of morons. Too scared to support something they don't understand.

Just try it. If they are concerned for security reasons and don't permit a BlackBerry over other platforms, they have some strange ideas.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    08-06-13 07:09 PM
    "Only work devices can access work email". They're not even willing to look at other options.
    Most companies who limit email to only corporate devices are smart enough to configure ActiveSync to only allow connections from corporate devices, for example using an IMEI whitelist.
    08-06-13 09:55 PM
    Yeah, I've given up on this whole idea. I'll use the company iphone during work hours and no longer. That's the way they want it, that's how they'll get it.

Posted via CB10
    08-12-13 06:48 AM
    Our company did a similar change, pre-model 10's are still supported on the BES, but the model 10's as well as IPhones & Androids are being connected to our company e-mail via Active Sync. Our IT has a procedure for activating the different phones. Once you go through that setup procedure with your phone, it sends an e-mail to them as a notification you're trying to sync to e-mail. Once they approve it, you're good to go. You may want to ask them about this Active Sync procedure.
    This is what's happening in my company too. Some groups have access to BES10 server, were as my Z10 is using active sync so that the admins can manage both BB10, iOS, WP and Android phones. Anyone still on BBOS devices are still connecting to the old BES server.

Just ask you admin group ID you can BYOD to work. If the answer is yes, then they'll walk you through everything needed to setup the phone. Chances are however if you have no other BB10 devices in you organization, your admins will likely not want to support the phone and not allow for the access.

Good luck!

Posted via CB10 using a Z10
    08-12-13 07:44 AM
    Nope, no BYOD. Tried that already...
    08-12-13 07:56 AM
    If a BB10 device with Balance enabled is not considered a work device, I don't know what is. Either it speaks of sheer laziness to learn how to support another device, or the admins are sheep in wolves clothing.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    jstirtzinger likes this.
    08-12-13 08:53 AM
    If a BB10 device with Balance enabled is not considered a work device, I don't know what is. Either it speaks of sheer laziness to learn how to support another device, or the admins are sheep in wolves clothing.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    You hit the nail on the head. They just can't be bothered to learn and possibly support an alternative platform that could be just as good or better. They hide behind the 'not an approved device'. Bull****. If they wanted into be an approved device then it would be. We have a sister company who has BYOD policy. We all report to the same HQ.
    08-13-13 06:16 AM
26 12