Due to the Black Friday sale on Blackberry World today, I bought a lot of movies. I was wondering if I could import the movies to my PC. So far, I can download the file, yet nothing plays. Not even the audio. I've read downloading VLC works, and I tried that, but it doesn't work for movies, just film I captured myself. I get a error code after I click a button and a message saying that the file is not compatible with VLC, and there's nothing I can do about it. The movies don't seem to play in Windows Media Player. Is there anything I can do??? I downloaded like 25 movies, and I don't want to watch them all on my phone. Watching with family would be a pain on the Z10 too...
    11-29-13 07:00 PM
    Sorry. As far as I know, the movies are meant to be played only on your phone. Moving them to the PC yielded an error message. I have no idea what codec you would need or how to convert them to be played on a PC...if they can be at all!

Best bet, get an hdmi cable and stream it to your TV.
    John Tatsiou likes this.
    11-29-13 07:08 PM
    From reading, it sounds as if you can move/store them on your computer but will not be able to play them on it. But you can download quite a number and store for future use on the computer. But try it first - copy to computer, erase from phone, copy back and see if it plays. I think you can also re-download later if you purchase outright.
    11-29-13 10:04 PM
    Why would you want to watch the movies on your computer when you can connect your phone to your TV using the HDMI port? That is one of the excellent features the Z10 has over all the other phones out in the market.
    curvezzz likes this.
    11-29-13 10:36 PM
    When you purchase the movies it says you may download the movie on up to 5 devices but no instructions. How do you do it?

Posted via CB10
    11-30-13 12:52 AM
    Can BlackBerry World be access via PC?

There shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
    11-30-13 03:14 AM
    What's the extension of the file? .mp4?

Posted via CB10
    11-30-13 04:47 AM
    Yes

Posted via CB10
    12-01-13 08:56 PM
    When you purchase the movies it says you may download the movie on up to 5 devices but no instructions. How do you do it?

Posted via CB10
    It means up to 5 BlackBerry devices that you sign in to with your BlackBerry ID and by that it means BB10 phones only.

Posted via CB10
    12-01-13 09:01 PM
    I'm sorry the extension is .wmv
    Is there a way to save & view it on my pc?

Posted via CB10
    12-02-13 07:55 AM
    IIRC WMV is a container, not an actual format. Try to use something like VLC media player, maybe it has a codec that can play the movies

Posted via CB10
    12-02-13 08:03 AM
    Can you watch them on a playbook? Or should one just download directly to the pb?

Posted via CB10
    12-02-13 08:07 AM
    Try windows media player classic with k-lite codec pack or cccp

Posted via CB10
    12-02-13 10:31 AM
    I believe there is some type of DRM on them that stops them from playing on another device, unless possibly downloaded via BB world? I bought and downloaded a few onto my SD card on my Q10.

Then, when I wanted to watch them, turned on my Z10 (bc the HDMI out on the Q10 keeps the screen format in a tiny square on my flat screen, whereas the Z10 fills the whole screen), and moved over my SD card. However, the movies would not play (said some error, I don't remember what it was) and said i'd have to download them again. (When I downloaded to the Z10, worked fine).

I'm hoping this was just a glitch for that movie (haven't had time to test it yet), as it would be annoying to have to download them twice as well.
    12-02-13 10:55 AM
    (Also, I too could download to my computer, but not play them. Hence, the DRM on them)
    12-02-13 10:55 AM
    The Playbook and z10 canNOT share movies when purchased for the other.

I am not sure if the above is clear.... Can you copy a movie off the z10 to a computer. Erase it from the z10. Later copy it back from the computer and play it on the z10 - in other words temporarily store them off the device?
    12-02-13 12:17 PM
    So I looked at the Home Alone 2 that was today's deal.

It's a WMV file, so at least it's a real format. It plays pretty well on my Z30.

However, I looked at the file in my trusty hex editor and saw that it's DRM encrypted. Microsoft's PlayReady DRM has infected the video store, which isn't surprising, given that it's run by DRM aficionados Rovi (formerly Macrovision). And, it doesn't play on VLC or Windows Media Player. Trying to convert it to something else with Freemake just stalls the program.

Whether or not moving the files from the phone to the PC counts as a "new device" is uncertain, and I'm not sure I want to waste the time, bandwidth and space by downloading another DRM-ridden piece of... well, you know.

What's odd is that the mp3 files from the store are DRM free, which is how everything should be.
    LP_Rigg likes this.
    12-02-13 01:18 PM
    It will be a case of having to download the movies on to different BB10 phones from BlackBerry World rather than just copying then between memory cards because they want to be able to track how many devices you've downloaded the movie on to.

Posted via CB10
    12-02-13 08:31 PM
    It will be a case of having to download the movies on to different BB10 phones from BlackBerry World rather than just copying then between memory cards because they want to be able to track how many devices you've downloaded the movie on to.

Posted via CB10
    Yes, understand, but I'm not copying from one mem card to another. I store BBW movie downloads on my mem card. Then place that card in my other phone. (not switch/copy movies bet cards).
    Since I don't dl to the phone (but save to SD card), I thought it should just recognize it was downloaded, if I signed into BBW, not tell me there was an error and that it wants to dl again. I don't think it could dl again again (it's already on the card?)

Maybe I'll check settings again and try again. Hopefully was just a fluke! (I'm thinking, perhaps on my Z10, I have BBW set to download to phone, as I didn't have a big mem card at the time I was using it and just updated my card).

Posted from my Q10/Z10
    12-03-13 09:21 AM
    Z10 movie backup/restore

Okay, I just confirmed that if I copy a BB World movie (downloaded from them) to my computer (PC) and then delete it entirely from my Z10 and then copy it back to that same z10, the movie plays without issues. So, my supposition is that I can download BBWorld movies to the Z10 and safely move (delete them from z10) and archive them to my computer to free up space. I can then, at some later time, copy them back to the z10 and they will play.

Clearly, if you have purchased them, you can also download them again but I found over my wifi/dsl that this can take hours for one movie. Although copying them back to the z10 was not exactly quick using wifi just now.

(now to figure out this damn sensor issue!!!! Come on BB!)
    12-03-13 12:11 PM
    Yes, understand, but I'm not copying from one mem card to another. I store BBW movie downloads on my mem card. Then place that card in my other phone. (not switch/copy movies bet cards).
    Since I don't dl to the phone (but save to SD card), I thought it should just recognize it was downloaded, if I signed into BBW, not tell me there was an error and that it wants to dl again. I don't think it could dl again again (it's already on the card?)

Maybe I'll check settings again and try again. Hopefully was just a fluke! (I'm thinking, perhaps on my Z10, I have BBW set to download to phone, as I didn't have a big mem card at the time I was using it and just updated my card).

Posted from my Q10/Z10
    Bermie, I have a feeling that it does not matter where they are downloaded. They are drm-ed/encrypted to play on the DOWNLOAD device only. I don't think that they can be moved to another bb10 device with the same BBID. You are entitled to download them again (I think someone said up to 5 devices) but canNOT just move the card even to another device with the same bbid.

I would not mind being proved wrong. So tests are in order from a few folks.
    12-03-13 12:15 PM
    This is funny - I'm going thru the same issue myself.

I sent blackberry world support an email on what they mean by "up to 5 devices" and how does one go about doing that.

I suppose if you had several devices under one blackberry world ID that would work...which was stated above and makes sense.

It's a shame that you can't link the playbook and (in my case) my z10 movie accounts - and it bothers me that I can't log on to a website and watch my purchased movies....

Saying that - the movies I downloaded this weekend look great on the Z10 screen - but they got slightly pixelated on the my Sony 55"... my impression is that the movies are made for the small screen format - not a large screen... really noticed it on dark black scenes and noticed extreme pixilation on scenes where the action was quick (The Incredibles - opening scene where Mr Incredible was trying to shake a cat out of the tree) .... yes.... I bought a lot of kid movies this weekend - could not pass up the savings.
    miker476 likes this.
    12-03-13 04:42 PM
    I'm new to movie downloading and would like to know about the 5 device issue also. If I download a movie w Z10, can I use pc to also grab copy since I purchased and watch there? Don't want have to get cable messy if not needed.

Posted via CB10
    12-03-13 05:03 PM
    It means up to 5 BlackBerry devices that you sign in to with your BlackBerry ID and by that it means BB10 phones only.

Posted via CB10
    If that's the case, it's ridiculous! Who has 5 devices with the same bbid? This is what I hate about the apple store, stuff you download there can only be played on apple devices.

From my perspective, once I bought something, I want to be able to play it anywhere I can. And don't tell me about licensing issue, I just don't agree with it. My brother, my sister in law and one of my best friend are patent agents, legal counsel and all, so I have had many discussions to that end. My perspective is that the easier it is for people to move and use the stuff they buy on their network, the less torrent and Cie will be used.

Posted via CB10
    12-03-13 05:09 PM
    I'm new to movie downloading and would like to know about the 5 device issue also. If I download a movie w Z10, can I use pc to also grab copy since I purchased and watch there? Don't want have to get cable messy if not needed.

Posted via CB10
    I am fairly certain that you canNOT watch any of these movies on your pc unless you connect your z10 using some computer hdmi setup to the monitor.
    12-03-13 05:21 PM
48 12