Posted via BlackBerry Fan
    12-03-13 01:20 PM
    the fact that its android says alot lol .. but it depends on u .. if u really need the app then u wouldnt mind any risk ... id say its pretty safe once u stick to the main famous apps from famous sites like amazon etc ...
    12-03-13 01:29 PM
    Oh thanks tommy

12-03-13 01:34 PM
    Depends on where you download from really however, Android on BlackBerry 10 doesn't run like well... Android on Android. Android apps on BlackBerry 10 run in a more secure environment and essentially any spyware/malware looking to run on your device will have issues as it's looking for an 'Android' set-up whereas the Android portion of BlackBerry 10 is different.

It's all emulated and full of sym links, if spyware/malware is looking to exploit your device it's looking for Android specific things to exploit which, it can have trouble finding. Think of it like this.... a Windows virus can't run on a Mac because it was designed for Windows. While you might be able to download it, it can never work at its full potential because it's running in a different environment than what is intended.

Still, you shouldn't be downloading random APK files and installing them, you should stick to trusted resources such as APK downloaders for Google Play, the Amazon App Store and apps such as Droid Store for BlackBerry 10 and Snap for BlackBerry 10. Downloading from random sites is never a good practice.
    Thachoc1 likes this.
    12-03-13 01:35 PM
    I had a feeling it wasn't safe I'll just wait till it officially comes to BlackBerry world

12-03-13 01:35 PM
    You could be waiting for a very long time. But your call.

Posted via CB10
    12-03-13 02:25 PM
    Yeah I know I hate waiting but it's for the safety of my phone so I guess I have to

12-03-13 02:39 PM
    Yeah I know I hate waiting but it's for the safety of my phone so I guess I have to

I've had excellent results with less complicated apps like candy crush, roboform etc but more sophisticated apks are just a big bag of trouble in my opinion.

Posted via CB10
    12-03-13 02:48 PM
    I want apk files like temple run 2,fifa,instagram,clumsy ninja and them lot

12-03-13 02:56 PM
    Solely depends on the app and what type of activity you perform on your phone routinely... of you do any banking or dealing with monetary accounts on your device... side loading could obviously compromise your security... your taking the most secure device.... BlackBerry.... and essentially weakening it....

Kah
    12-03-13 03:05 PM
    I want apk files like temple run 2,fifa,instagram,clumsy ninja and them lot

I've had a flawless instagram experience, downloaded from 1 mobile. Haven't tried the rest though.

Posted via CB10
    12-03-13 04:22 PM
    Luckily for me, I own multiple phones. I downloaded all my apps through Google Play (malware free I hope). I back them up with ES File Explorer and transfer them to my computer.

Posted via CB10
    12-03-13 04:34 PM
    Downloading: safe.
    Running: potentially safe

Posted via CB10
    12-03-13 05:04 PM
    If you download the APK from Amazon or Google Play you should be fine... other Apps stores like the aforementioned 1Mobile are circumspect - China. And who know what has been done to an APK on just some random website.

If you are careful about the apps you download you should be fine using the official stores - check to make sure it is from the right publisher. Just like there were a number of knockoff BBM apps, most big apps get a knockoff in every now and then.

Note that most Android Apps are all or none on permissions, and some require quite a bit. A malicious file might not find all of the Android code that it expects, but it might be enough to be a problem.

That said, do you know anyone with a Android Phone that has had a problem that they are aware of?
    12-06-13 02:24 PM