Trying to understand the benefits of this technology. If anyone has tips or a link I could check out that would be great

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    02-14-13 04:27 PM
    Near field communication (NFC) is a set of standards for smartphones and similar devices to establish radio communication with each other by touching them together or bringing them into close proximity, usually no more than a few centimeters. Added security because sending via this media doesn't require much power and can only be used close range.

A few benefits in the social media: to share a picture, video, file transfers, and music. Then there is the new way of paying, used like a wireless credit card.
    Possibly in the future, if you have to use security cards to enter/exit buildings, your phone can be used instead of these cards.

Here is a Link from Crackberry about NFC: http://crackberry.com/tags/nfc
    This may give you more of an idea about NFC.
    Last edited by cdnynot; 02-14-13 at 04:41 PM. Reason: added link
    02-14-13 04:38 PM
    Thank you very much for the response. I didn't know why it was turned on. Have you found any use for it?

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    02-14-13 04:56 PM
    Actually on my current phone, I don't have this equipment on it.
    I'm planning to purchase the Z10 sometime in the near future. Possibly next month.
    02-15-13 01:02 AM
    Say you need to buy gas. A NFC device would mean you could tap the phone on the pump and pay for the goods. Same thing with your Starbucks or Timmy's. To me it seems like it will be a LONG time before NFC become prevalent or useful. How long did it take to get smart chips on credit cards?
    02-15-13 01:50 AM
    NFC spec was originally based on communication between 2 devices over few centimeter (Peer2Peer mode of NFC = BB Tag = Android Beam).

Then NFC was expanded to also allow a device to be able to talk to (read and write) a batteryless device, today called NFC tags. (ReadWrite mode of NFC). This mode is used by various devices and programs. For BBs see this thread http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...as-all-659273/

Then NFC spec was expanded to support Contactless Payment standards. (using the Card Emulation mode of the NFC). That is why a NFC-Enabled BB can emulate your credit card using the same POS (Point Of Sale) infrastructure made for cards with contactless payment feature.

The Card Emulation of the NFC can also emulate building access control cards.

The last 2 paragraphs are good arguments for avoiding iHacked (iPhone) and AndMeToo (Android) devices that are easily hackable.
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    02-15-13 11:07 AM
    NFC is basically like the application called BUMP in which you can tap or bump two devices together and exchange information like files, contacts and so forth.

Also with NFC with a new feature by the compnat called suretap you can use NFC technology to pay for items at stores as the suretap is connected to your debit card or credit card only certain LIMITED amount of banks offer this service right now and same goes for stores.
    02-15-13 11:24 AM