I really think this was just an error omitted by BlackBerry upon the design of the OS, I'm imagining that if the notifications were set to silent it was supposed to remain silent as well.

The reason for my hypothesis with respect to this is that why would it make a shutter sound when taking a screenshot, no creepy potential there. So as a result, I'm sure it was just omitted by accident and BlackBerry will indeed fix this.

Update: By the way the only reason this came up is because I'm at the gym and was on my phone while doing calf extensions and took a screenshot, it made the shutter sound and I'm sure it appeared to others like I was taking a picture of my croch.. not that I really care, but I was annoyed to see that even screenshots make the shutter sound when notifications are set to silent..

Didn't mean to start some massive thread discussion..

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by ali1t; 04-11-13 at 12:07 AM.
    04-10-13 11:42 PM
    So what exactly is it you think is an error? The shutter sound when taking a picture and the profile is set to silent or the shutter sound when taking a screen shot and the phone is set to silent?

Posted via CB10
    04-10-13 11:49 PM
    I think BlackBerry forgot to make the shutter sound silent when designing BB10, don't think it was intentional as others think (because of privacy) So I believe BlackBerry will definitely fix it in one of the next few updates...

Posted via CB10
    04-10-13 11:52 PM
    I do not believe so... Somewhere I read some states in the US, it is illegal to have your shutter sound off

I'm going to assume it might be the same for other areas... The other BBs always had the shutter sound on.

I think BlackBerry forgot to make the shutter sound silent when designing BB10, don't think it was intentional as others think (because of privacy) So I believe BlackBerry will definitely fix it in one of the next few updates...

Posted via CB10
    04-10-13 11:55 PM
    My 9780 wouldn't make the sound if it was on silent, odd..

Posted via CB10
    04-11-13 12:00 AM
    ROTFLMBO!!!....
    oh, oh...here we go again. And not 5 posts into the thread, someone brings up the fictional legislation theorem.
    People, this issue has been beaten to death on here. Multiple threads have been closed because of how angry it got. I'm giving this one 8 pages til self destruction.
    madx80h, ihys and j_the_p like this.
    04-11-13 12:00 AM
    That's how BlackBerrys are since it's just not an issue of programming. It's more of a legal issue.

Posted via CB10
    04-11-13 12:02 AM
    Vignette app has the option to mute the shutter sound.

Posted via CB10
    My 9780 wouldn't make the sound if it was on silent, odd..

Posted via CB10
    Are you sure about that? I thought BlackBerry's have always had the shutter sound even with the silent profile on. That's just how BlackBerry has always been.

Posted via CB10
    Holy CrackBerry not again

Posted via CB10
    04-11-13 12:04 AM
    By the way the only reason this came up is because I'm at the gym and was on my phone while doing calf extensions and took a screenshot, it made the shutter sound and I'm sure it appeared to others like I was taking a picture of my croch.. not that I really care, but I was annoyed to see that even screenshots make the shutter sound when notifications are set to silent..

Posted via CB10
    04-11-13 12:06 AM
    By the way the only reason this came up is because I'm at the gym and was on my phone while doing calf extensions and took a screenshot, it made the shutter sound and I'm sure it appeared to others like I was taking a picture of my croch.. not that I really care, but I was annoyed to see that even screenshots make the shutter sound when notifications are set to silent..

Posted via CB10
    It most certainly is annoying! I actually hate it. But nothing new to BlackBerry devices.

Posted via CB10
    04-11-13 12:12 AM
    Screen shot noise is on every device it confirms to you that a shot actually occurred. As there are listed visual effects when this happens. I know on the galaxy s3 the screen zooms out a bit when it captures so you have visual reference. It's nice to have the sound and it definitely isn't a error. Otherwise you might take screen shots by mistake and not be aware of it.

Posted via CB10
    04-11-13 12:23 AM
    I think all the same, my Monza 9860 still make the shutter sound even when in silent mode..
    04-11-13 12:27 AM
    I do not believe so... Somewhere I read some states in the US, it is illegal to have your shutter sound off

I'm going to assume it might be the same for other areas... The other BBs always had the shutter sound on.

READ: It is not illegal to have a silent shutter. The is no such legislation in Canada or the USA banning silent shutters. When are people going to stop with the nonsense of "there is a law" or "there is legislation" mandating the shutter sound on mobile phones? No such legislation exists in North America or most of the world.

Now before people start going on about the fictional boggie man out there taking pictures of you, stop and think for a moment. Do you realize how many times a day you're recorded on cctv? Those cctv don't make any sound and they can follow your every move. They can zoom in and watch you for hours, capturing every move you make. Why aren't people up in arms over them yet go all bonkers over the though of a mobile phone with a silent shutter?

If someone really wanted to take pictures of your kid at a playground (which is perfectly legal since they're in public), they could easily just sit across the street with a 400 mm zoom lens and and SLR. They'd get way more details and close ups of anything they'd ever want and you'd never know they were taking that picture. Heck, they could go to a public pool and take all the pictures they want and you can't do a thing about it. Even modern SLRs these days come with the "silent shutter" option to minimize the sound that the mechanical mirror slap makes when taking a picture.

A silent shutter on a BlackBerry is about choice. Let the customer decide whether they want to enable it or not. A blanket policy of forcing the users to have a sound and no choice will hinder BlackBerry in the long run. There are many other phones such as the iPhone which have a silent shutter and they outsell BlackBerry phones 10 to 1.

Anyways, like others have stated, this topic has been beaten to death. To be fair to everyone else, people need to stop opening a new thread about it every day.
    AbAll87 and ihys like this.
    04-11-13 12:29 AM
    I think to some regions is required by the laws to have a shutter sound or a notification that the device is voice recording.

Posted via CB10
    04-11-13 12:47 AM
    I think to some regions is required by the laws to have a shutter sound or a notification that the device is voice recording.

Posted via CB10
    Please stop perpetuating a myth. There is no law, there is no rule, there is no legislation. You only make yourself look ignorant (or a troll) for repeating something that has been disproved time and time again. The only exception is S. Korea, which requires a shutter sound of at least 64db.
    j_the_p and ihys like this.
    04-11-13 02:10 AM
    hmm... Next time I need to be more precise and say I'm copying what I read in a thread lol... I thought it was interesting and did not make any research on that... Thought I share it if maybe if it was true, they could do their own research... But I guess you do have valuable points... I'm just going to take your word for it because I did find it strange for the necessity of shutter sound...
    04-11-13 09:51 PM
    Please stop perpetuating a myth. There is no law, there is no rule, there is no legislation. You only make yourself look ignorant (or a troll) for repeating something that has been disproved time and time again. The only exception is S. Korea, which requires a shutter sound of at least 64db.
    There was but it never got passed. Mind you this was in 2009. I could not find more on Google tho.

H.R.414: Camera Phone Predator Alert Act - U.S. Congress - OpenCongress
    04-11-13 09:55 PM
    Holy CrackBerry not again

Posted via CB10
    LOL. Yup! There at it again. You get the fan, I'll go get a bucket of p**p. Let's see who comes out of this one smelling pretty. (think there will be a winner this round?)

From Zed to U via CB
    04-11-13 11:15 PM
    There was but it never got passed. Mind you this was in 2009. I could not find more on Google tho.

H.R.414: Camera Phone Predator Alert Act - U.S. Congress - OpenCongress
    My point exactly. There never was legislation passed in Canada or U.S.
    They attempted in the USA, but it never reached fruition, so let's not keep bringing it up when we all know that there is no law.

Posted via CB10 with my BB10 Z10
    ihys likes this.
    04-12-13 12:10 AM
    Pancakes are good

Posted via CB10
    HedoBum likes this.
    04-12-13 01:17 AM
    Pancakes are good

Posted via CB10
    Pancakes with bacon wrapped pork breakfast sausages.

From Zed to U via CB
    04-12-13 01:26 AM
    Pancakes with bacon wrapped pork breakfast sausages.

From Zed to U via CB
    My mouth just watered and now a crave it.

Posted via CB10
    04-12-13 01:28 AM
    I'm headed to IHOP in the AM!

From Zed to U via CB
    04-12-13 01:33 AM
32 12