Starting to get nervous. I tap on camera icon, then camera app starts and it shuts down by itself even without actually showing me something. Brand new Z10 and no 3rd party apps on it - just what came with the phone.
    Please help!!! Should I exchange the phone or is there easier fix.
    02-08-13 06:18 PM
    Have you tried restarting it? I was having the same problem with my Galaxy Nexus when I got it last year, and the camera turned out to actually be broken. Hopefully that isn't the case with yours.
    02-08-13 06:21 PM
    The only think i didn't try yet is a typical BB solution that's called "battery pull".
    02-08-13 06:23 PM
    Battery pulls don't help. If you've tried restarting it, that would've been enough. I would try wiping it just to completely rule out a software issue.
    02-08-13 06:27 PM
    Doing it now. Thanks for trying to help. Any other ideas?
    02-08-13 06:28 PM
    Doing it now. Thanks for trying to help. Any other ideas?
    You're welcome. If that doesn't work, I would try initiating a BBM video call, or install FaceFlow and try to call someone with it. If that doesn't work, then it is almost definitely not a software issue (though a wipe has pretty much already told us that much). Anyways, if the camera doesn't function in those third party apps either, I'd return the phone as it is probably a hardware issue.
    02-08-13 06:31 PM
    Tried BBM video couple of days ago - worked just fine.
    02-08-13 06:34 PM
    Always try doing battery pull first before asking
    02-08-13 06:43 PM
    Tried BBM video couple of days ago - worked just fine.
    Oh. I didn't know that. Then I think the camera app will be fine when your phone starts up again. Keep us updated.

Always try doing battery pull first before asking
    He restarted the phone. Battery pulls don't do anything beyond that in BB10 -.-
    02-08-13 06:45 PM
    Just started the phone after full wipe of the phone and the camera is O.K now. thanks guys.
    02-08-13 07:17 PM
    Just started the phone after full wipe of the phone and the camera is O.K now. thanks guys.
    Good to hear! You're welcome
    02-08-13 07:18 PM
    Thanks for your help guys, but today I had the same problem again. After being outside and making great pictures - when I synced them to my PC with BB Link the pictures won't open. The error message was unsupported format. and then the same problem like the one I had the other day.
    Need help.
    Even on the device - pictures won't open.
    02-09-13 04:47 PM
    Have u tried the full wipe this time?
    02-09-13 05:02 PM
    I did it yesterday
    02-09-13 05:06 PM
    Hello I am new to the forum but do not know how it actually works. My NEW Blackberry Z10 was working fine, now when I try to open my camer I get the message "The camera is in use. Close any applications using it and try again." I have no idea what application could this possibly be that is in use...Is there anyone out there that can help?
    04-10-13 11:03 AM
    I have this same problem on my curve 9320 the camera could not just start telling me I should close some app while none are opened, please any help
    04-11-13 12:04 AM
    I have this same problem. Just noticed today. Here's the deal;

1. It starts with a black screen, as if the sensor's not working, but screen controls do and if I change to video (or time shift) it freezes.
    2. Close camera app
    3. Open camera again, "The camera is in use...."
    4. Restart phone, same thing.

After all this, I reformatted my sd card and same problem.

Is there any chance that there are some permissions problems on the flies? Somebody please help!
    04-11-13 08:18 PM
    I now have restored the software. Still not working. Any ideas?
    04-11-13 09:58 PM
    Are you using a sd card? And if so is it class 4?

Posted via CB10
    04-11-13 10:17 PM
    Are you using a sd card? And if so is it class 4?

Posted via CB10
    Yes I'm using an sd card. It's a transcend 16gb SDHC class 10. I've reformatted it and it hasn't helped. I tried removing it and restarting the phone without any results. I tried a bbm video call and it says camera not available. I tried reversing the camera (front facing) and nothing. It's getting desperate. I believe it's software related because camera app freezes when changing from picture to video and after a restart it's the same going to time shift.
    04-11-13 11:02 PM
    Once again try a battery pull 30sec out

Wait for the os to load fully then open the camera only.

If it doesn't work exit and long press the x on the camera active frame then try open it again.

Posted via CB10
    04-11-13 11:29 PM
    Once again try a battery pull 30sec out

Wait for the os to load fully then open the camera only.

If it doesn't work exit and long press the x on the camera active frame then try open it again.

Posted via CB10
    Just did what you suggested and it didn't work. I opened the camera, it didn't work, long pressed the x, retry and now it says camera is in use. close all apps using camera. Weird, huh?

I appreciate the help! Any more suggestions?
    04-11-13 11:49 PM
    Seems like it is time to go see your carrier and get a new Z10.

These forums are great for getting help, but the Z10 is so new that you might be the first person to ever have this problem.

Posted via CB10
    retomex likes this.
    04-12-13 12:21 AM
    Seems like it is time to go see your carrier and get a new Z10.

These forums are great for getting help, but the Z10 is so new that you might be the first person to ever have this problem.

Posted via CB10
    You're right, problem is I bought it unlocked when 1saleaday got it advertised. I live in Mexico and I'm not sure what to do. I've sent a tweet and posted a comment on Blackberry-Mexico's facebook about it but they don't seem to care even tough they're launching the Z10 next week.

I'm so sad I'll have to return to my 9790 to take pictures of my baby when he's born next week so I can update my bbm...
    04-12-13 01:25 AM
    You're not the only one having this problem. My wife and I both got new Z10s from Verizon earlier this week (mine white, hers black). The camera on my phone works fine. She tried to use hers for the first time today. At first, it said "the camera is in use". Then it said "the camera cannot be opened". I tried a battery pull. No dice. Then I tried a full security wipe. Still no dice. Now the camera will open, but the screen remains black. The controls appear and the flash goes off if you touch the screen, but no pic is taken or saved. Frustrating to say the least. It will probably be going back to Verizon.
    04-12-13 02:34 AM
31 12