On previous Blackberries, calendar data is shown instantly. It's already been downloaded to the device, so once it's got there, no real need for mobile network connectivity when you need to check your calendar.

On my new Z10 (managed by a corporate BES 10 server) . .it looks like its always checking with the server when calendar is opened. Particularly noticeable if you jump a week or two ahead. Possibly due to the way Active Sync is working? But really, if the item was added a while ago, then that info should already be held locally on the device and thus access should be instant.

Anyone else experience similar?
    03-15-13 06:26 PM
    My calendar through Activesync is terribly slow on my Z10. It takes approx 20 seconds to load the page items and if I move ahead a couple of days The load continues. This is not acceptable at all. On my 9900 and Iphone it is always update. Would appreciate any help. Thanks in advance.
    03-31-13 02:15 PM
    My events are shown instantly (using multiple calendars on a single Google account through CalDav - default setup with Google Account).
    03-31-13 02:45 PM
    I have the same problem with BES 10. It takes around 30 seconds to display Calendar.
    Is it related to the server or to my device?
    04-01-13 03:29 AM
    My calendar is pretty heavy and I start presuming that the size is the reason. Perhaps the Z10 is not powerful enough to run it. I had a Playbook and had an identical problem. Same environment and with Iphone 5 works perfectly.
    04-01-13 07:01 AM
    Responded in another thread. I had 3 years of calendar history. I archived a lot of it keeping about 8 months and it solved the issue. Calendar responds much quicker now. Archiving is probably not the best option if you need your history--but I'd rather have the quick performance on the app. Maybe Blackberry will improve speed over time.
    04-02-13 10:04 AM
    I do not have any problem except for the first time after the boot.
    04-02-13 10:29 AM
    Calendar opens okay, but the items in the calendar flicker very quickly like it is refreshing very quickly. . I'm in week view.

Posted via CB10 on Zed10
    04-02-13 10:32 AM
    as suggested I also have archived the past calendar items but the problem is exactly the same and it takes more than 20 seconds to load the calendar items (in day or week view).
    I have discovered anyway the reason. After removing (as a test) all the recurrences (my calendar has a lot of them) the problem is solved.
    Moreover all recurrences that in Outlook are moved from the original position are visible only with a "no object" description.
    I hope that Blackberry solves the problem very soon because I use my calendar a lot. On my 9900 with Bes everything is fine and it works perfectly also on my Iphone 5
    04-04-13 06:34 AM
    Having the same 20 second delays in opening my calendar. My entries are loaded from outlook 2003 using bes 10. I have reported it to blackberry but they don't have a fix yet. Any solutions?
    05-17-13 08:01 PM
    * My calendar is slow to load - it has a lot in it! On first boot-up, or when changing days, or on every reboot...
    * My contacts take an age - I do have nearly 10,000 - and searching them often just doesn't do anything at all
    * When I go into 'phone' it also takes about 20 seconds to translate the raw numbers into contacts
    * Similarly, when trying to auto-suggest email addresses as I compose, it can take about 30 seconds - per name!
    * My gmail doesn't sync regularly or hardly at all in blackberry hub - I get about 200 and send about 100 per day, and I must say this was also a hassle on my old blackberry, but it was better...
    * I can get gmail and stuff pretty good online (I paid �1.50 for an app which is mostly just the web page), but that app in particularly crashes most times I click on it - and, of course, I want reliable offline gmail
    * My lovely (discontinued) blackberry multimedia headset (play, next, last, volume control) works - hurrah - but *every* time I go over the 'accepted volume level' it displays an on-screen nag, and doesn't increase the volume, which means I have to get the blackberry out of my pocket, swipe, and say 'ignore'
    * Contacts, calendar, and phone, when left running, usually crash (i.e. disappear/close) several times over the course of the day
    * when I change the battery - couple of times a day - it takes a few minutes to boot and then a few minutes more to populate the 'hub' thing. Also, of course, all apps have to be reloaded
    * Something very strange has happened with the 'transfer' of my 32gb of music, podcasts etc - there seems to be no native was to access podcasts, and as I delete them off the memory card, they remain in the media list and an error pops up when they are suppose to be played which stops me remotely moving to next track
    * Also, all my 500 tasks from rememberthemilk which were synced to tasks have ported across into Remember (no option to choose what you port across) - and I now have to delete them, one by one, manually - each time waiting a couple of second for the deleted task to go black and the list to rearrange!
    * despite 'integration' with evernote, I had to side-load an Android app to get real functionality and easily upload photos - and it doesn't download all the notes to my blackberry - bloody 'online access required' yet again!
    * it took an age of hassle to set up gmail calendars - but this now works well!
    * speed-dial *didn't* port across from my old blackberry, and has been a hassle to set up - I know it works sometimes, but I can't work out from which screens? It doesn't work from the desktop :-(
    * also, I can get at least two different views of contacts which display different 'favourites' as quick-dial - but I can't easily remember or replicate this!
    * The 'podcasts' app I downloaded and paid for mostly displays a black screen (while it's trying to load the list of podcasts I've added and saved separately), and responds erratically at best
    * When I'm on a phone call (if I manage to answer, having got rid of any diary reminders etc!), and go into something else, I have to go all the way back to the home screen then pop up the phone thing again to hang up - takes ages
    * Phone quality often drops out/crackles/I lose about 10 seconds - I'm on Vodafone in the UK
    * Archiving in gmail from the hub is impossible - OK, 'delete' does it, but then I lose offline access! It should be one-touch
    * Filing in gmail fro the hub is also tedious and slow
    * I am a heavy user of autoreplace for email sigs etc - and even if you tick 'always use this case', all the text from my email signature which is triggered by 'sig' goes into CAPS if I type SIG and, if I type Sig (which is the default with automatic capitalisation, My Whole Email Signature Comes Out In Strange And Officious Sentence Case....

Whew! thanks for letting me get that off my chest :-)

People will no doubt say that I've got too much data - but my old BlackBerry Torch gave *instant* and instantly switchable, 'always on' access to contacts and calendar, and search was instantaneous, even with 10,000 contacts (all my data is in google world), and - when it didn't crash, and when it eventually decided to sync - email was fast too.

It seems that the new device has put things into apps that used to be 'hard wired', and taking away the lovely buttons - blackberry/menu, back one step, answer and hangup/reject call/jump directly to home screen is the most direct example of this. It means that everything needs to be accessed/done by complicated swiping (imagine my swearing the first few times as i tried to swipe from the top of the screen to answer calls, and they went off to voicemail). It annoys me when people spend lots of money on 'design' and lose some really core and basic functionality.

True, on my old blackberry torch, the gmail /messaging/phone app quite often crashed, and gmail and, particularly, google maps - and quite a few other things - would often crash the whole machine, necessitating an 11-minute reboot, but I'm actually getting quite nostalgic!

So, you get the message, I'm an impatient, 'power user' with a sense of entitlement, who can crash and overload anything, I am willing to pay a lot of money (and have done so) to have something which can do everything I want it to do and help me live my life and do business, and I've invested many precious hours in this as well as quite a bit of money in accessories - I guess I'll wipe it and reinstall and try again - but what do people reckon? Is it worth persevering? I know bb will eventually go bust, but I want instant, offline access to emails (and instant archive/filing), contact and calendars and a bloody good keyboard - isn't this the best option out there?

Good things
    - doesn't crash all the time (like with iOS, apps just disappear when they crash, don't bring down the whole system
    - the keyboard is *very* good
    - internet access much better (old one only went online when the blackberry symbol came up - every two hours or so - though on wifi or on a good day, it managed some really long spells) - although I note the new blackberry just goes and shows the blackberry connected image *all the time*, even when it isn't
    - it doesn't pop up a nag and a million 'server is different from expected' screen every time I come into a wifi zone that requires logging in
    - the gadget to charge a spare battery is really, really cool...
    06-14-13 10:59 AM
    Well, user error is really an amazing thing. Doesn't solve all my problems, *but* putting the arial *right next* to a MIFARE and an RFID card (see picture in product item in Amazon attached) probably not wise :-o
    Smart Wallet - High Tensile Expandable Pouch which Sticks to Phones: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics
    (Entirely my stupidity - worked fine on old phones - they didn't have the extended aerial in the lid of the battery compartment though...)
    06-18-13 02:25 AM
    PS since I've turned this into my personal grumble forum, can I just say that I opened my blackberry on the tube today to do a bit of work, and in hub 'filing emails is not available offline'!
    Perhaps BlackBerry makers live in flat places with no loss of signal, but for me one of the key points of the BB is that it allows me to actually do meaningful work offline. This is a serious one -in the past, I've rejected phone options precisely because they don't allow offline email filing, which is a big bit of my working life :-)
    06-18-13 02:38 AM