and OP, ignore the people that are telling you to take a screenshot, it's a waste of time... it's a damaged panel, it's nothing to do with your software.
    Everything you said was good except this, I think. The reason to try a screenshot is because if it shows up there, then it's obviously not really burn-in (of any kind... retention/AMOLED/IPS debate aside).

Now, if it doesn't show up in a screenshot, the OP should find a decent digital camera somewhere and take a picture of the screen and post it here so everyone can see what LCD burn-in looks like. ;-)
    Omnitech likes this.
    04-28-13 09:31 PM
    Your are incorrect... The warranty on the refurb unit 90 days or remainder of original 1 year warranty.
    Plus, Rogers honestly doesn't care. In my experience, they'll always give you a new device assuming you're not trying to pull some nonsense like replacing a 5 year old iPhone.
    04-28-13 11:14 PM
    I'm going to guess that the OP has a screen shot of an app with the back button....set as wallpaper so it shows behind the phone icon.
    Here's an example :

Burned image on Z10 screen!!!-img_00000070.png

Posted via CB10
    04-29-13 12:02 AM
    Points taken on image persistance on LCD. Although in all but the most severe cases this can be undone by leaving the screen set to a solid bright color, ie. white, for an extended period of time.
    04-29-13 12:12 AM
    and OP, ignore the people that are telling you to take a screenshot, it's a waste of time... it's a damaged panel, it's nothing to do with your software.
    IMO you are wrong. Very wrong. Consider how the screenshot works, and the two possible mechanisms to see a ghosted image visible on the screen.

The screenshot (press both volume buttons) takes it's picture from the image being rendered to the screen, rather than what is actually displayed. If the screen is half failed (physically broken) the screenshot will still show the full image. To get a picture of a physical screen defect requires an external camera pointed at the screen.

1. Software cause - the ghost image is actually being pushed to the screen by the OS for some reason (bug or operator error like seeing a wallpaper). A screenshot will show the anomaly because it is in the rendered image. The anomaly will probably rotate with the rendered screen (or disappear) when the phone switched between landscape and portrait.
    2. Physical screen defect - the screen is not correctly displaying the image being rendered to it. The internal screenshot will show a normal screen, but an external camera pointed at the screen will show the defected image. The anomaly would be expected to retain the same position on screen when shifting between landscape and portrait.

This should provide an easy way to distinguish between the two possible causes for the OP's report. If an image captured by screenshot shows the problem it is something software (settings?) driven, and a hardware defect is unlikely. In this case changing the hardware will only "fix" the problem because a new device will be back at factory default settings.

Giving the OP the benefit of the doubt and discounting hallucination or deliberate lies and FUD as some have suggested, the OP reports (1) above. For a probable software cause my suggestion would be to restore all default settings, or simply backup and reload the OS back to factory condition. No Way would I want to accept a refurb and trashed warranty on a nearly new phone for something which wasn't caused by a physical defect.
    RazzBerry likes this.
    04-29-13 03:01 AM
    Plus, Rogers honestly doesn't care. In my experience, they'll always give you a new device assuming you're not trying to pull some nonsense like replacing a 5 year old iPhone.
    This fits with what I've been hearing. The BBRY CS guy in KW mentioned another carrier that might take a different approach.
    04-29-13 03:24 AM
    IMO you are wrong. Very wrong. Consider how the screenshot works, and the two possible mechanisms to see a ghosted image visible on the screen.

The screenshot (press both volume buttons) takes it's picture from the image being rendered to the screen, rather than what is actually displayed. If the screen is half failed (physically broken) the screenshot will still show the full image. To get a picture of a physical screen defect requires an external camera pointed at the screen.

1. Software cause - the ghost image is actually being pushed to the screen by the OS for some reason (bug or operator error like seeing a wallpaper). A screenshot will show the anomaly because it is in the rendered image. The anomaly will probably rotate with the rendered screen (or disappear) when the phone switched between landscape and portrait.
    2. Physical screen defect - the screen is not correctly displaying the image being rendered to it. The internal screenshot will show a normal screen, but an external camera pointed at the screen will show the defected image. The anomaly would be expected to retain the same position on screen when shifting between landscape and portrait.

This should provide an easy way to distinguish between the two possible causes for the OP's report. If an image captured by screenshot shows the problem it is something software (settings?) driven, and a hardware defect is unlikely. In this case changing the hardware will only "fix" the problem because a new device will be back at factory default settings.

Giving the OP the benefit of the doubt and discounting hallucination or deliberate lies and FUD as some have suggested, the OP reports (1) above. For a probable software cause my suggestion would be to restore all default settings, or simply backup and reload the OS back to factory condition. No Way would I want to accept a refurb and trashed warranty on a nearly new phone for something which wasn't caused by a physical defect.
    There is really no software bug that could / would cause any image persistence. I see where you are coming from, but I just can't see a scenario in which software does this. You can smash a screen with a hammer and take the screen shot.

Posted via CB10
    04-29-13 05:46 AM
    There is really no software bug that could / would cause any image persistence. I see where you are coming from, but I just can't see a scenario in which software does this.
    You're saying you can't picture any scenario in which software could result in a back button appearing onscreen on the home page all the time?

Are you overlooking the fact that the device supports a "wallpaper" image as a background there? If the OP is running an app which replaces the wallpaper (and actually he said he is) then wouldn't it be reasonable to suspect that app might be involved in this?

If you're aware of all that, and are just saying software couldn't result in *image persistence* per the usual definition, then of course you're correct.

Anyway, a simple screenshot answers the entire question of what's causing this... too easy not to just do it and report back. OP?
    04-29-13 08:04 AM
    Yes, this is a result of BBRY's warranty policy, which kind of leaves people at the mercy of the 'point of sale entity'.

The weird thing is that you buy a phone with a one-year warranty, 2 months later it goes down and you get a refurbished replacement... with a 90 day warranty! I believe this is how it works, please correct me if I'm wrong. Your one-year warranty basically goes poof.
    You get your 1 year warranty from original date of purchase or the 90 day warranty, which ever is greater. So if you get a refurb on day 365, you will have 90 more days warranty on that replacement

Posted via CB10
    04-29-13 08:09 AM
    You're saying you can't picture any scenario in which software could result in a back button appearing onscreen on the home page all the time?

Are you overlooking the fact that the device supports a "wallpaper" image as a background there? If the OP is running an app which replaces the wallpaper (and actually he said he is) then wouldn't it be reasonable to suspect that app might be involved in this?

If you're aware of all that, and are just saying software couldn't result in *image persistence* per the usual definition, then of course you're correct.

Anyway, a simple screenshot answers the entire question of what's causing this... too easy not to just do it and report back. OP?
    Yes, I understand where you're coming from with the wallpaper application. I don't mean to sound arrogant when I saw this, but if he can't figure out that his wallpaper is doing this, then he needs to go back to a 2004 flip phone.
    04-29-13 08:19 AM
    Instead of giving people ideas in how to inaccurately create a burned in image, why don't we have the OP update us with a screenshot, picture of his screen, and an update on his discussion with Rogers (most important).

I'm giving the OP the benefit of the doubt.

Posted via CB10 on my Zed10
    04-29-13 09:11 AM
    OP still hasn't posted ****. Time to move on.

Posted via CB10
    John Pawling and peter9477 like this.
    04-29-13 12:05 PM
    OP still hasn't posted ****. Time to move on.

Posted via CB10
    Yup

Posted via CB10 on my Zed10 10.0.10.85 on Rogers
    saint613 likes this.
    04-29-13 12:12 PM
    Sorry to create such a stir on here guys. It was a simple oversight on my part and was from a screen shot that I used as my background, and not burned in on the home screen. I do apologize for creating an uproar. And no, I am not a liar, as one poster so eloquently put it...just glad I woke up and realized this before I went or Rogers! lol.
    Again sorry for the irrelevant post as it was a stupid oversight on my part...Please forgive me and don't banish me from your forums as one day I may actually need your help with a real issue!

Posted via CB10
    peter9477 and Omnitech like this.
    05-01-13 06:20 AM
    I for one am just glad that you got your issue resolved. Your thread will help others if they experience the same thing.
    05-01-13 06:34 AM
    You are forgiven hehehe
    05-01-13 06:38 AM
    I for one am just glad that you got your issue resolved. Your thread will help others if they experience the same thing.
    Agreed. Good info here.

Posted via CB10
    05-01-13 08:11 AM
    You get your 1 year warranty from original date of purchase or the 90 day warranty, which ever is greater. So if you get a refurb on day 365, you will have 90 more days warranty on that replacement
    Even if that's true, it doesn't change the fact that because of BBRY's weird (non) approach to warranty, which is the opposite of premium hardware makers like Apple, Lenovo, Google (Nexus), Avalon, Digidesign and many others, you could end up with a refurb 90 days after purchasing a new unit. I for one would not be happy. If my nice new unit is defective I want a brand new one, not a refurb.
    05-04-13 04:49 AM
    Even if that's true, it doesn't change the fact that because of BBRY's weird (non) approach to warranty, which is the opposite of premium hardware makers like Apple, Lenovo, Google (Nexus), Avalon, Digidesign and many others, you could end up with a refurb 90 days after purchasing a new unit. I for one would not be happy. If my nice new unit is defective I want a brand new one, not a refurb.

The main problem is that the mobile phone/cellular industry is unique in the way that (at least in many countries) the primary retailer of the devices are the service providers themselves, and the devices are useless without said service. In the USA, it is now more or less illegal to unlock a locked cellular device.

Companies like Lenovo (except in certain Asian countries), Avalon, Digidesign etc do not participate in that industry, and have a very different business model.
    05-04-13 04:57 PM
    Yes, I understand where you're coming from with the wallpaper application. I don't mean to sound arrogant when I saw this, but if he can't figure out that his wallpaper is doing this, then he needs to go back to a 2004 flip phone.
    Sorry to create such a stir on here guys. It was a simple oversight on my part and was from a screen shot that I used as my background, and not burned in on the home screen. I do apologize for creating an uproar. And no, I am not a liar, as one poster so eloquently put it...just glad I woke up and realized this before I went or Rogers! lol.
    Again sorry for the irrelevant post as it was a stupid oversight on my part...Please forgive me and don't banish me from your forums as one day I may actually need your help with a real issue!

Posted via CB10
    hmm, i still stand by this
    05-04-13 05:00 PM
    The main problem is that the mobile phone/cellular industry is unique in the way that (at least in many countries) the primary retailer of the devices are the service providers themselves, and the devices are useless without said service. In the USA, it is now more or less illegal to unlock a locked cellular device without carrier approval.

Companies like Lenovo (except in certain Asian countries), Avalon, Digidesign etc do not participate in that industry, and have a very different business model.
    FIFY.
    05-04-13 05:03 PM
    FIFY.
    Yep, that was an oversight, thanks.
    Thud Hardsmack likes this.
    05-04-13 05:56 PM

Posted via CB10
    Lol, I said this back on page one. We could have saved some bandwidth with the extra pages created.
    Don't feel bad I went through the same thing till another CB'er pointed it out to me as well. Live and learn.

Posted via my Zee 10
    05-04-13 07:04 PM
    The main problem is that the mobile phone/cellular industry is unique in the way that (at least in many countries) the primary retailer of the devices are the service providers themselves, and the devices are useless without said service. In the USA, it is now more or less illegal to unlock a locked cellular device.

I understand the facts stated in the first para, but I'm unclear as to why it should matter. Apple and Google don't farm out their warranty support. Blackberry is a global company and let's face it, they could easily hire firms to do their warranty work in countries where they don't have a repair facility.

Digidesign's products are also sold through third-party retailers, but their functionality isn't dependent upon a service owned by that retailer. Still, they're useless without a host of other gear.

I stand by my statement that if I bought a brand new shiny phone for $600+ and 3 weeks in, it needed to be replaced because of a hardware issue, I would not be happy to get a refurb, no matter what the remaining warranty. That would never happen with any of the firms listed.
    Last edited by mset; 05-06-13 at 01:44 AM.
    05-06-13 01:00 AM
    I understand the facts stated in the first para, but I'm unclear as to why it should matter. Apple and Google don't farm out their warranty support. Blackberry is a global company and let's face it, they could easily hire firms to do their warranty work in countries where they don't have a repair facility.

Digidesign's products are also sold through third-party retailers, but their functionality isn't dependent upon a service owned by that retailer. Still, they're useless without a host of other gear.

I stand by my statement that if I bought a brand new shiny phone for $600+ and 3 weeks in, it needed to be replaced because of a hardware issue, I would not be happy to get a refurb, no matter what the remaining warranty. That would never happen with any of the firms listed.

Not to be pedantic or anything, but not only do I know a fair amount about Pro Audio, I used to be in the retail biz for over 10 years, much of it in the audio business. I've also sold cellular phones, once upon a time. The business-model for the cellular industry is NOTHING like the standard retail business model. A Digidesign effects unit or effects pedal is not "useless" without any specific thing connected to it that you have to pay a monthly fee to make work, etc.

Yes, Apple and Google may have their own direct service, but those are very rich and very unique companies in the industry. There are hundreds of cellphone/smartphone vendors, and probably 95% of them (if not more) handle the warranties similiarly to how Blackberry does.
    05-06-13 01:26 PM
79 1234