Guys,

Well, the Z10 phone slipped out of my pocket while I was seated, fell about a foot and a half, and the screen cracked. I made the mistake of not purchasing the "protection plan" when I got it because I'm so used to be able to literally throw my Android and iPhones around and nothing happening to them. Definitely disappointed in the build quality of the Z10.

That said, I'm looking for where to have the screen repaired. The phone right now is a paper weight and can't be used until the screen gets fixed. Is this something that Blackberry can do if I send it into them, or will I be forced to find a local repair shop here and pay the additional cost of getting it fixed locally?

Thanks.
    04-17-13 09:16 AM
    To provide evidence counter to Android devices and iPhones having better build quality: I watched my sister break her Thunderbolt by having it fall not even a foot onto carpeting. Build quality doesn't matter: glass breaks! It is, after all, glass. BlackBerry won't fix it because accidental user damage (shattered glass, water damage, scuffs) are not covered under warranty. Your best hope is to find a local repair shop. I wouldn't expect many have spare Z10 screens and know how to replace them though. Ask around and you might find something.
    04-17-13 09:25 AM
    sorry about your screen... you learned a lesson the hard way :/
    04-17-13 09:29 AM
    Found this the other day if your ambitious. It's from another BlackBerry site but they do sell the screen and show a pretty detailed video on how to replace it. I would assume that any repair shop even with no experience with Z10 repair after watching the video could repair it for you.

http://n4bb.com/replace-blackberry-z...gitizer-video/

Posted via CB10
    04-17-13 09:30 AM
    Thanks for the link - maybe I should just pick up the replacement screen and take it into a shop and have them do the actual install. I've taken apart things before, but nothing like this. Not sure I wanna mess with this repair myself.
    04-17-13 09:39 AM
    To provide evidence counter to Android devices and iPhones having better build quality: I watched my sister break her Thunderbolt by having it fall not even a foot onto carpeting. Build quality doesn't matter: glass breaks! It is, after all, glass. BlackBerry won't fix it because accidental user damage (shattered glass, water damage, scuffs) are not covered under warranty. Your best hope is to find a local repair shop. I wouldn't expect many have spare Z10 screens and know how to replace them though. Ask around and you might find something.
    Glass breaks, I know. I'm just used to phones that I can drop from several feet without issues. In fact, I had an old Blackberry 73xx and it actually flew outside the window of a moving car, and the phone still worked just fine. With the Z10, it fell out of my pocket from 1.5 feet and it broke. Just surprised, that's all. $hit happens.
    04-17-13 09:46 AM
    What kind of glass does the z10 have? Someone said it's not as tough as the iPhone glass which they called gorilla glass. Is there any real difference?

Posted via CB10
    04-17-13 09:56 AM
    I don't know where you are, but you may have an authorized repair center at one of the larger cellular dealers. I looked into it about a month or so ago and the Rogers dealer in town that had a repair shop, didn't have the parts yet. If you get it done either by your carrier or a dealer authorized by BlackBerry to repair, you will retain the warranty on your phone. It will not be cheap to repair though; probably almost $300.
    04-17-13 10:13 AM
    Would gladly do the repair for free if you provided the parts! Want some practice for when mine goes :-)

Posted via CB10
    04-17-13 10:20 AM
    I did a Google search and found a site that will repair it for $280. Not sure how good it is.

http://www.doctorquickfix.com/Blackb...-Screen-Repair
    04-17-13 10:23 AM
    Pacific mall will most likely fix it. I've always gone there when my iPhone 4s back glass broke from tossing the phone onto my coffee table $20. The dogs tail caught the charging cord one time and tossed the phone onto concrete from a patio table and that broke the front glass $180. My gf has an iphone5 and something in her purse broke the front screen (she doesn't know how it happened) $300. So ip5 is def not immune from its glass breaking.

It all about how you drop your phone. I horribly dropped my Z10 twice now getting out of my car. I have bad habit of leaving it between my legs and I drive an Escalade so the drop is at least 3-4feet onto pavement. It's naked as well with just Ghost Armor on it. Not sure if the screen protector and sticker covering the phone helped or just luck, but there's hardly a scratch. I wouldn't recommend testing that though
    04-17-13 11:07 AM
    That video was fascinating.

Thanks so much for sharing it!

-Chris-
    04-17-13 11:09 AM
    To make screens scratch resistant they have to make it harder but that, in turn, makes them brittle and tend to break. Hard to have both scratch resistance and no break on impact. How far the phone falls does not matter, it is all about how it lands.
    DJRikko likes this.
    04-17-13 11:16 AM
    Are you in Canada? Which carrier are you on with the phone?

Posted via CB10
    04-17-13 11:16 AM
    How could you blame this on the z10 build quality? I've witnessed someone take there iphone 4s and drop it about two feet and the entire back shattered. The person was being stupid and trying to show how their phone never broke when they dropped it. The z10 build quality is just as good as the best phones out there. I've dropped my phone by mistake twice from about 4 feet and its fine no dents,dings or scratches.
    04-17-13 11:31 AM
    just buy the z10 case for the next time lol
    04-17-13 11:33 AM
    How could you blame this on the z10 build quality?
    Who is blaming the build quality? I said that I am disappointed with the build quality, but it was entirely my fault for letting it slip out of my pocket while I was seated.
    04-17-13 12:53 PM
    Are you in Canada? Which carrier are you on with the phone?
    I'm not in Canada, and my carrier is Verizon.
    04-17-13 12:54 PM
    Ok, why are you disappointed in the build quality?

Posted via CB10
    04-17-13 03:52 PM
    I have concrete floors in my condo. I have dropped my z10 several times with no issue. Your small sample of one incident is by no means representative of the lot.

Posted via CB10
    louboutins likes this.
    04-17-13 03:56 PM
    I had similar problem with my old 9810 didn't have the protection package either. I went back to the Bell world where I purchased it asked the agent for help. He was kind enough to credit my account for the protect plan as I just had it for a couple of weeks sent it in for repairs cost me only protection plan fees and shipping.

Posted via CB10
    04-17-13 04:05 PM
    I've dropped my phone 4 feet onto concrete thank god it didn't break. All depends if it's the right circumstances.

Posted via CB10
    04-17-13 04:17 PM
    I have 2 z10 100-2 screen, but I was in Vietnam. $ 180
    04-20-13 10:55 PM
    A Radio Shack near me repairs broken and cracked screens. Maybe one near you will also.

Posted via CB10
    04-20-13 11:11 PM
    I have the Blackberry Z10 screen black and white , but i come from the foreign ~~~other country ~~~
    04-20-13 11:40 PM
27 12