Hi

Coming from a 9900 I was used to have my podcasts automatically downloaded so I can enjoy them on my way to work.
    As the Z10 has no built in podcast client I tried bPod which does advertise with automatic podcast download. Unfortunately it seems not to do it, also at home with wifi I can wait for hours without any podcast being updated. Only when I hit the refresh all button does a sort of automatic download start.

Question:
    - do I do something wrong with the settings or is there no real automatic update + download
    - is there a bodcast client for the z10 whuxh has the same feature as the native one for my old bold 9900?

Thanks for any helpfull comment!

Posted via CB10
    11-02-14 06:54 AM
    There is auto download in bPod. Swipe down from the top - Settings. Remember you have to subscribe first. Good app although I haven't used it in a while. There is update as well.

Posted via CB10
    11-02-14 07:18 AM
    Yes... I did set that it should automatic download (wifi only). Maybe it has something to do with the time setting (I have it on update every 6h). I did assume that it will not wait for 6h AFTER reaching wifi again.

The Bold justs startes updating when I reached my home wifi network....

Posted via CB10
    11-02-14 08:19 AM
    Under BB10 in order to automatically download bPod would have to be a headless app. With 10.3 BlackBerry has made this easier to do so it may be coming in an update.

Posted via CB10
    11-02-14 08:35 AM
    There is a thread for bPod over in the BB10 Apps section of the forums. The developer posts quite often and is responsive to requests.

He did comment on the auto download that the old BBOS was able to do as soon as a subscribed podcast was made available. I don't recall the specifics, but apparently, BlackBerry made use of their own backend servers to capture them and push to the phone as needed. He doesn't have that ability on his own.

The latest version does have settings to check periodically or at a specified time, and whether to do so only while charging or not. So that is something to look into. I personally haven't tried those settings, so I don't know how well it works.

Posted via CB10
    11-02-14 10:09 AM
    There is a thread for bPod over in the BB10 Apps section of the forums. The developer posts quite often and is responsive to requests.

He did comment on the auto download that the old BBOS was able to do as soon as a subscribed podcast was made available. I don't recall the specifics, but apparently, BlackBerry made use of their own backend servers to capture them and push to the phone as needed. He doesn't have that ability on his own.

The latest version does have settings to check periodically or at a specified time, and whether to do so only while charging or not. So that is something to look into. I personally haven't tried those settings, so I don't know how well it works.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks, I'll check that out. I use bPod, but haven't subscribed to enough that this is an issue for me yet, but my list is growning.

Edit:

So, according to the documentation on BB World the application has to be open. So not an ideal solution but one can start bPod before bed and have any new podcasts ready in the moring.

In 10.3 BlackBerry introduce the InvokeDateTime to short running headless application triggers. Seems like a good fit for the current configuration settings. It may be that the developer plans to support this in 10.3 or 10.3.1.
    Last edited by Richard Buckley; 11-02-14 at 11:12 AM.
    11-02-14 10:39 AM
    Thanks, I'll check that out. I use bPod, but haven't subscribed to enough that this is an issue for me yet, but my list is growning.

Edit:

So, according to the documentation on BB World the application has to be open. So not an ideal solution but one can start bPod before bed and have any new podcasts ready in the moring.

In 10.3 BlackBerry introduce the InvokeDateTime[/URL] to short running headless application triggers. Seems like a good fit for the current configuration settings. It may be that the developer plans to support this in 10.3 or 10.3.1.
    Mhmm... so I see, it has to be open. Really a step backwards from the Bold experience.....but maybe future OS updates will 'fix' that.

Posted via CB10
    11-02-14 03:03 PM
    Mhmm... so I see, it has to be open. Really a step backwards from the Bold experience.....but maybe future OS updates will 'fix' that.

Posted via CB10
    10.3 will make it possible for the developer to fix, yes.

Posted via CB10
    11-02-14 06:28 PM
    bPod 2.0 is currently being tested for release, it includes many improvements including headless support for background updates.

Posted via CB10
    Richard Buckley likes this.
    11-03-14 09:25 AM
    bPod 2.0 is currently being tested for release, it includes many improvements including headless support for background updates.

Posted via CB10
    I was confident it was coming, but it is good to have confirmation.
    11-03-14 10:22 AM

Posted via CB10
    Good news!

Posted via CB10
    11-03-14 01:51 PM