03-28-15 09:34 AM
47 12
tools
    I just stepped into the BB World.
    I was a WebOS user with a few Palm/HP phones and an HP 10" Touchpad to go with them. Nice combos.

Now rockin a Z 10 and I have been looking at the Playbooks online. I can get them for as little as $50.
    Do they merge nicely with BB 10 and the Z 10?
    Are they worth the effort with such an old operating system?
    Tx
    03-19-15 09:55 PM
    No, I'd say you're much further ahead to get an Android or iOS tablet and download the BlackBerry Blend app. It connects to your Z10 over the network and you have access to your emails, calendar, texts, files.
    03-19-15 10:11 PM
    PlayBook is dead. Slow hardware, small low resolution screen, battery issues, no support.
    03-19-15 10:53 PM
    I still use my playbook. But my main driver now is a nexus 6.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    03-19-15 11:21 PM
    I would say no if your goal is real integration between the two devices. They killed Bridge with BB10. It was great on older devices.
    The screen is nice on the PlayBook, and it does a few things really well, but the integration sucks and the browser is dated, so skip it unless you have $50 burning a hole in your pocket. If you're determined to get one anyhow, I'll take your $50 for mine!

Posted via CB10
    03-19-15 11:34 PM
    You can use the PlayBook to access the sms and bbm messages on your phone via BlackBerry Bridge. BlackBerry Bridge also provides Internet access to apps and the browser using your phone's data plan.

As someone said, the downside is that it is bit slow and some have battery problems mostly due to having a dead battery for a long time. Picking for apps and games is slim from App World. Android apk's must be converted to bar files and sideloaded. The Android runtime supports Gingerbread only. On the plus side, there are quite a few apk-converted bars floating around and sideloading is fairly straightforward.

We have two PlayBooks in the house and we are still using them daily for Internet browsing, e-reading, and watching videos. The audio through the headphones is among the best. My wife actually uses the PlayBook more than her Passport. Even though it is long on the tooth, it can be useful if you use it within its limits.

Posted via CB10
    themightyshark likes this.
    03-19-15 11:36 PM
    I would also add that it is a fantastic mobile stereo.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    03-19-15 11:36 PM
    I just bought a playbook this week. So far I am loving it better and better. Side loading bars to tweak it to my style but so far it is great.

Posted via CB10
    03-19-15 11:41 PM
    Unless I'm wrong the screen resolution was actually quite good. The sample video that originally shipped with it was totally stunning.

With hdmi out or just the device itself, it makes a good media server. Kalemsoft allowed it to play a wide range of video types including subtitles.

As mentioned, one still strong feature is that the Playbook can use your bb's data connection without additional charges or costs. The browser may be slow by some standards but it is still quite serviceable.
    anon(9188202) likes this.
    03-20-15 12:03 AM
    You're probably better off to spend a little extra to get a newer iPad or Android tablet, then throw BlackBerry Blend on it for phone+tablet integration. The PlayBook is now 4 years old hardware that will see no further software updates or support.
    03-20-15 01:06 AM
    It's definitely dated technology but if you know full well what it's limitations are, you won't be disappointed. For $50, you'll get your money's worth.

I still use mine regularly for videos and it is a great digital recipe book combined with the Evernote app. It also makes a great e-reader though I now have a kobo for that.

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    FF22 and anon(9188202) like this.
    03-20-15 01:17 AM
    Great Idea, Just do it.
    03-20-15 02:43 AM
    I would say no if your goal is real integration between the two devices. They killed Bridge with BB10. It was great on older devices.
    The screen is nice on the PlayBook, and it does a few things really well, but the integration sucks and the browser is dated, so skip it unless you have $50 burning a hole in your pocket. If you're determined to get one anyhow, I'll take your $50 for mine!

Posted via CB10
    are you selling your playbook for $50?
    would you send it to UK?
    03-20-15 03:47 AM
    My Playbook is now back in the box link my z10 with the Ipad , with Blend and File hub
    03-20-15 04:45 AM
    are you selling your playbook for $50?
    would you send it to UK?
    Sure, if you pay shipping. PM me

Posted via CB10
    03-20-15 01:47 PM
    50 dollar is not much but you have to realize you won't get that much either.

Performance - is not very fast. It's fluid but not fast. It's really old hardware and the OS is no longer being optimized.
    Apps - Virtually no apps and it's a hassle to find and install good working Android apps.
    Resolution - 1024x600 is not good at all, especially these days. Your phone will have larger screen estate.
    Heavy - The device is extremely heavy for it's screen size.
    Size - The device is very large for the screen size, this because the bezels are used in the swyping.

I still use it, but very limited. To play music which works great also because of the 2 front facing stereo speakers (at the time unique), as my alarm clock and sometimes to surf the web. YouTube works great too and with real multitasking the music keeps playing while you do other stuff . It has some unique and really good features, but for daily and extensive use I can't recommend it. Depending on your budget and preferences you're better off with Android, Windows or iOS.

Really great car you have BTW. It's a shame 914's are so expensive in The Netherlands even though it borders with Germany.
    03-20-15 03:47 PM
    My experience, for what it's worth:

PlayBook with my OS7 Curve was good: bigger screen and Bluetooth to the Curve using BlackBerry Bridge was useful.

With my Z10, PlayBook adds nothing really. Bridge is hamstrung with BB10.

Blend is good with PC. But if you want it on a tablet, PlayBook no good.

Sadly, my opinion is, if you want a tablet to play with your BB10 phone, get one that will run Blend... unfortunately that doesn't include the PlayBook, which has one-and-a-half feet in the grave...

All Hail Thorsten. Mother and Father of my Beloved Z10.
    03-20-15 05:54 PM
    I have an HP Touchpad (10"). If I could get Blend to work on it then that would be all I need. I still use the TP regularly and enjoy it for what it is. Was just asking about the Playbook's compatibility with BB10. I got my answer, I think I'll save some money and pass, wait until there is something newer and better from BB. (but I won't hold my breath)
    03-20-15 05:57 PM
    Realistically I stopped using my PB when I got my Z10. Not because it wasn't good but maybe I'm not a huge tablet guy.
    My house is full of Ipads so don't hammer at me. My wife and kids still use the PB for what it's meant for. Good purchase for me but you might want something a little newer.
    PlayBook has defiantly fallen behind but has been a good device for us.

If you can get it at a good price I say go for it but it won't keep up with the new tablets.

My berry keeps getting better...Z10 since Feb 2013
    03-20-15 06:14 PM
    +1, once I got my Z10, my PlayBook sits on my night stand as a bedside clock. Browsing on it is like surfing on dial-up. Guess I could re-load the OS but don't think it's worth the time. I'm thinking of picking up a 7" Galaxy Tab.

I'd take a PlayBook for free but wouldn't pay any dollar amount for it.

Posted via CB10
    03-20-15 09:22 PM
    Our PlayBooks are indispensable for us. We have a data plan for the phone that doesn't allow hotspot and tethering. PlayBook is the only tablet that let us use this data plan.

Posted via CB10
    FF22, awindsr and Kimberella like this.
    03-21-15 09:19 AM
    Guess you can't PM here? Anyhow, mmveets at yahoo if interested in PlayBook for $50
    03-21-15 11:52 AM
    Guess you can't PM here? Anyhow, mmveets at yahoo if interested in PlayBook for $50
    I think you have enough posts to send another person a PM. Click on their name above the avatar and at the bottom are some choices including "PM"
    03-21-15 01:21 PM
    Our PB is an E-book reader for my wife exclusively now

My berry keeps getting better...Z10 since Feb 2013
    03-21-15 01:48 PM
    Thanks, but can't seem to find that on the app.

Posted via CB10
    03-21-15 08:53 PM
47 12