04-12-13 11:33 PM
376 1234 ...
tools
    Will probably be native, like the Google Talk and Yahoo Messenger Clients made by BlackBerry.
    Well with the delays, lets hope you are right
    04-09-13 09:41 AM
    Cross platform communication is mandatory. Communication limited to mobile devices of a particular brand or a particular carrier does not promote the free exchange of information and will be replaced by forward thinking enterprises that do recognize this need.

If BBRY would make BBM available to iOS and Android users, Skype and imitators would become redundant and unnecessary. It could be done as an app, free with limited functionality or upgrade to greater functionality for a fee, while keeping a few extra features reserved for those on the BBOS.
    04-09-13 09:46 AM
    there are no mandatory apps except for a phone app as this is a CELL PHONE. just relax. We understand there are users that would like to have features like Skype, and rest assured, both Skype and BB have said there is a BB10 app coming.
    The phone app is one of the least used apps on my smartphone now.
    cckgz4 likes this.
    04-09-13 09:56 AM
    I agree with the OP, Skype is a dealbreaker. If they had not announced it at the launch event, I wouldn't have got a Z10.
    04-09-13 10:05 AM
    I understand Skype on a PC. I understand Skype on a tablet. On a phone not so much. That's just me though. Either way both Skype and BlackBerry have said it's coming. The options are simple. Wait or get something else.

Posted via CB10
    04-09-13 10:06 AM
    Go for it, I'm not debating, but there is no such thing as mandatory apps except for a phone. Which is what a cell phone is. Yes it is a smart phone, but apps aren't the be all and end all for any platform.

Disagree with me all you want, not going to change my opinion. Apple created a massive following because they needed apps because of ineffencies with their safari browser and not allowing for flash. The app explosion happened after that.

Some apps prove to be useful, but they are not mandatory by any means. Skype is nice to have, but is not mandatory. our company uses Adobe for webinars and webcasts. Sure skype has lots of users, but it isn't the make or break of a job, a sales deal, life or death of family.

instead of begging for Skype to come, why not get everyone to switch over to BB10 phones and use BBM video if everyone is so keen to video chat.

Some will argue and I'm sure your ready to mset that apps are make or break, and thats fine that's your opinion, but mine is different.
    I respect and value your perspective. I think it makes a lot of sense for you.

The point I am making is at $700 unsubsidized ($199 + a 2 yr contract subsidized), I expect more than just a cell signal and for me and many others, bells and whistles are critical in justifying a $700 price tag. A base mobile phone can be had for virtually nothing -- free with a subsidy or less than $50 even without one. There has to be something to justify the cost beyond just great voice reception and maybe SMS?
    mset, cckgz4, ILoveiPad and 2 others like this.
    04-09-13 10:07 AM
    Whatever the market is in demand of is mandatory. Especially in this hyper smartphone category.

Posted via CB10
    04-09-13 10:27 AM
    Skype is certainly NOT mandatory. I and many of my family travel far and wide often and using BBM is all we have ever needed. With the additionof BBM video last year while on the road that's all we use over wi-fi.
    If BBM is all you need that means that everyone in your family and circle of friends has Blackberries. That is an unrealistic expectation, especially now that BB's market share is dwindling. Cross-platform communication is definitely required, if not Skype then something else.
    cckgz4 and pels_17 like this.
    04-09-13 10:29 AM
    It is pretty presumptuous to tell someone else what is or is not mandatory for THEM..

All told, I wouldn't count the phone app in my to 5 most important apps on my device. Probably not even in the top 5 communication apps.
    richardat and cckgz4 like this.
    04-09-13 10:36 AM
    I can honestly say I have never had Skype on any of my devices including my computer.
    04-09-13 10:46 AM
    Don't get it, use your phone for calls, Cheap laptop for Skype, Wide screen tv for movies(Netflix). All on wifi. Don't know about other people but I tend to contact relatives abroad on Skype from the comfort of my living room, if you must contact relatives while driving your car, riding a mountain bike, playing football, walking your dog, travelling on a train or bus, etc etc. Then I guess you need Skype on your phone along with a very large data bill. Regarding cross platform communication, this as been built into all phones from the beginning, its a phone give them a call.
    Last edited by jimread1949; 04-09-13 at 10:51 AM. Reason: comment added
    Yemson likes this.
    04-09-13 10:47 AM
    None of my 3 nearest and dearest own bb (2 did previously). I have my 2 kids in the UK at uni) and my gf in Nyc ( I live in toronto) thus I would like to have a cross platform video. Is skype wifi. dependent? I didn't think so. I want to buy a Q10, but only if has skype or an equivalent. So foe me it will be a deal breaker. I am frankly frustrated with RIM
    04-09-13 10:50 AM
    Mandatory for the You

Posted via CB10
    04-09-13 10:51 AM
    I use a 9900 which is a good phone but my family and personal circumstances demand I have a user friendly video connection. I have waited a year for Skype to appear on my PB to no avail. I am now getting increasing irritated by the lack of transparency wrt Skype and bb10. I now increasing believe it won't happen. Any other cynics out there? Does anyone have solid info and not just vague press releases and rumour? Otherwise iphone here I come.
    Brother,i completely agree with you.I am a 9900 user and awaited for viber and skype to make free calls to my friends and relatives abroad for an year as most of them make the most of skype and viber from their GS and iphones.Its really not a good feeling for loyal business users like us who still trust bb and continue th wait. why blackberry in this era of fierce competition not allowing its users to have these must apps???????????
    04-09-13 10:51 AM
    Whatever the market is in demand of is mandatory. Especially in this hyper smartphone category.

Posted via CB10
    Well said. I love it when people are arguing semantics here and trying to use them to prove a point. "The only mandatory app is a phone app". Right, that's exactly why the Z10 came in to existence to begin with, isn't it? Just so we can have a hyper advanced phone.

Posted via CB10
    04-09-13 10:52 AM
    I get that some think all this app stuff is trivial. I think so myself. The thing that matters here, whether these apps are vital tools or not, is the fact that many consumers gage by the availability of them. You cannot take the forefront and then lead if you are missing what consumers want. It's simple. BB10 is currently missing out on potential subscribers because of this. It will eventually catch up, but to say certain apps aren't needed isn't a good answer.

Posted via CB10
    04-09-13 10:53 AM
    Thankfully, BBRY understands that professionals and consumers need diverse communications options on the go, and are working hard to provide options.

I remember when folks mocked portable phones. I mean with payphone and Ma Bell at home, why would one bed a phone on the go?

LOL... times change. Those same widescreen tvs were mocked by movie execs who thought the small boxes would never compete with the supposedly indomitable silver screen.
    ether813 likes this.
    04-09-13 10:56 AM
    Well said. I love it when people are arguing semantics here and trying to use them to prove a point. "The only mandatory app is a phone app". Right, that's exactly why the Z10 came in to existence to begin with, isn't it? Just so we can have a hyper advanced phone.

Posted via CB10
    LOL. Agreed.

Thankfully, BBRY does not think all that is necessary is a phone app.
    richardat and ether813 like this.
    04-09-13 10:58 AM
    I'm willing to bet, when skype does come to BB10, because it is an android port, that people will b!tch and moan and say they will go to product x because skype isn't native and doesn't do everything they want it to.
    LOL yeah, they gonna throw a fit that it is an Android port and then buy a SG4..LOL

Posted via CB10
    04-09-13 10:59 AM
    Oh my God, another Skype thread.

We know Skype is wanted by many (me included) but it's not like it's NOT coming. It IS coming. Maybe not tomorrow, but I believe definitely by the release of the Q10.

Posted via Crackberry Z10
    BerryWizard and R Field like this.
    04-09-13 11:00 AM
    Oh my God, another Skype thread.

We know Skype is wanted by many (me included) but it's not like it's NOT coming. It IS coming. Maybe not tomorrow, but I believe definitely by the release of the Q10.

Posted via Crackberry Z10
    Now I do understand the angst about the Skype threads LOL.

They almost need their own section at this point.
    ErinnM likes this.
    04-09-13 11:03 AM
    Use your phone for calls...well that is interesting. Might as well not have created the Z10 then. We should have all stuck with the BlackBerry 850 then, right? This is getting ridiculous. People telling others what they should want and need is, as was said, pretentious and making excuses for the platform.

Everyone, lets all trade in our cellphones for flip phones now since cellphones are clearly only meant for calling.
    mset, cckgz4, ILoveiPad and 1 others like this.
    04-09-13 11:05 AM
    You can sideload an old Skype version on the Z10, only if you don't mind your cross-platform communications being limited to text chat

It works on the Playbook too. Who needs voice or video, right? <ducks for cover>

But seriously, RIM really needs to get its act together on this and start working with major first-party developers to get apps out. If they can do it with WhatsApp, why not with Netflix, Skype, Zinio?
    04-09-13 11:08 AM
    The more correct is "All popular apps are desirable for some of us because we demand them." Nothing is mandatory, what you want isn't what everyone wants...

R...

All popular apps are mandatory because the market demands them. Plain and simple. BlackBerry needs to be applying pressure or offering incentives to get them here. Period. I'm more of a basic phone and messaging guy, but I understand that these apps are make or break now for many consumers looking to hop platforms.

Posted via CB10
    MobileMadness002 likes this.
    04-09-13 11:08 AM
    Bottom line: no, its not mandatory. If you deem that it is for you, please move along to a lesser functioning device. We will welcome you back once it is available.
    Wait..you're calling the z10 a more functioning device when one has to move on to another platform because they can't function on the z10? Makes sense.

OP, I agree. Right now when I need to make skype calls, I use my 920. The Skype client sucks *** on it but it is necessary. If you need it, I would purchase another phone.
    04-09-13 11:09 AM
376 1234 ...