I use a 9900 which is a good phone but my family and personal circumstances demand I have a user friendly video connection. I have waited a year for Skype to appear on my PB to no avail. I am now getting increasing irritated by the lack of transparency wrt Skype and bb10. I now increasing believe it won't happen. Any other cynics out there? Does anyone have solid info and not just vague press releases and rumour? Otherwise iphone here I come.
    04-09-13 08:17 AM
    My guess is that it is not coming until the operating system allows Apps to run in the background. I think they call them headless apps. It has been mentioned that this feature will be in OS 10.1.
    tranceboy_johny likes this.
    04-09-13 08:25 AM
    I use a 9900 which is a good phone but my family and personal circumstances demand I have a user friendly video connection. I have waited a year for Skype to appear on my PB to no avail. I am now getting increasing irritated by the lack of transparency wrt Skype and bb10. I now increasing believe it won't happen. Any other cynics out there? Does anyone have solid info and not just vague press releases and rumour? Otherwise iphone here I come.
    There's no more solid info than the press releases and rumors that you already know about. Personally, I expect it will get here, but if I regarded it as mandatory I'd get a phone that has it now.
    04-09-13 08:25 AM
    There's no more solid info than the press releases and rumors that you already know about. Personally, I expect it will get here, but if I regarded it as mandatory I'd get a phone that has it now.
    Yup, this. I'd drop $200 and get a Nexus 7. Best answer if you need it now.
    NightSlayer likes this.
    04-09-13 08:34 AM
    We will have to wait till the Q10 launches which is the end of April for 10.1 to come which should update the android runtime which is what we are waiting for right now. But if you NEED it I would buy something that has it NOW. But this is not a MANDATORY app for me so I could careless BBM Video chat is kicking it for me
    seacan2 likes this.
    04-09-13 08:47 AM
    there are no mandatory apps except for a phone app as this is a CELL PHONE. just relax. We understand there are users that would like to have features like Skype, and rest assured, both Skype and BB have said there is a BB10 app coming.
    04-09-13 08:48 AM
    All popular apps are mandatory because the market demands them. Plain and simple. BlackBerry needs to be applying pressure or offering incentives to get them here. Period. I'm more of a basic phone and messaging guy, but I understand that these apps are make or break now for many consumers looking to hop platforms.

Posted via CB10
    04-09-13 08:50 AM
    I will quote Jay-Z (I know, of all people) here:

"You either evolve with the times, or you get left behind."

All the funky apps some BlackBerry users may not ever use should be here. Many times simply having the 'option' matters to consumers.

Posted via CB10
    soogriff, Bainesly, cckgz4 and 5 others like this.
    04-09-13 08:54 AM
    It's always funny to see, even though this guy signed up for an account over a year ago, they don't post much, demand information and threaten to leave BB to go to product x. Not saying the OP is full of it, but one has to wonder.

We have heard since Jan 30th that we need skype, bla bla bla, heard it all since the playbook days. we get it.
    04-09-13 08:54 AM
    My post is totally genuine but my thanks for all the responses. I will try to exercise some (more) patience....
    mago72 likes this.
    04-09-13 09:12 AM
    there are no mandatory apps except for a phone app as this is a CELL PHONE
    Anyone else care to have first go at this or shall I?
    04-09-13 09:16 AM
    Well OP is right. In the eyes of the consumer these delays are unacceptable. The complete lack of transparency make it even worse.

Posted via CB10
    TrueKulcha likes this.
    04-09-13 09:20 AM
    Well Said Quicks1lv3r... Mandatory apps, WTF is that and on top of that you choose to say skype is a mandatory app. I know the saying, if you don't have nothing good to say don't say anything... enough said!
    04-09-13 09:22 AM
    I have devices that can use skype. Never have had a need for it, maybe people dont want to see my ugly face. Or maybe they are embarased becaue they have packed on some pounds. HAHAHA
    04-09-13 09:25 AM
    Skype is certainly NOT mandatory. I and many of my family travel far and wide often and using BBM is all we have ever needed. With the additionof BBM video last year while on the road that's all we use over wi-fi.
    seacan2 likes this.
    04-09-13 09:25 AM
    Agree entirely. Skype is needed big time as are so many other apps and OS improvements to make the Z10 an attractive alternative to both iOS/Android users and BB7 users.
    04-09-13 09:28 AM
    Anyone else care to have first go at this or shall I?
    Go for it, I'm not debating, but there is no such thing as mandatory apps except for a phone. Which is what a cell phone is. Yes it is a smart phone, but apps aren't the be all and end all for any platform.

Disagree with me all you want, not going to change my opinion. Apple created a massive following because they needed apps because of ineffencies with their safari browser and not allowing for flash. The app explosion happened after that.

Some apps prove to be useful, but they are not mandatory by any means. Skype is nice to have, but is not mandatory. our company uses Adobe for webinars and webcasts. Sure skype has lots of users, but it isn't the make or break of a job, a sales deal, life or death of family.

instead of begging for Skype to come, why not get everyone to switch over to BB10 phones and use BBM video if everyone is so keen to video chat.

Some will argue and I'm sure your ready to mset that apps are make or break, and thats fine that's your opinion, but mine is different.
    04-09-13 09:28 AM
    Skype for me is "nice to have". It is NOT mandatory at all.
    jordandrews90 likes this.
    04-09-13 09:29 AM
    If Skye is mandatory for you, get a device that has it readily available.

If/when BB10 gets it, come back.

I do not use Skype so it doesn't matter to me, but I would like for it to come to BB10. The more big named apps the better.
    BerryWizard and mago72 like this.
    04-09-13 09:30 AM
    Skype is not mandatory, but a "luxury".

It is coming to BB10, I think you just need to relax.
    StreetNerd likes this.
    04-09-13 09:31 AM
    I'm willing to bet, when skype does come to BB10, because it is an android port, that people will b!tch and moan and say they will go to product x because skype isn't native and doesn't do everything they want it to.
    04-09-13 09:34 AM
    I'm willing to bet, when skype does come to BB10, because it is an android port, that people will b!tch and moan and say they will go to product x because skype isn't native and doesn't do everything they want it to.
    Will probably be native, like the Google Talk and Yahoo Messenger Clients made by BlackBerry.
    04-09-13 09:36 AM
    Does face flow work well? I don't travel much so I don't have a need for it. Looked interesting. Remember anytime we give all the business to one entity we allow ourselves to be controlled by the things we get use to using in our daily lives.

Posted via CB10
    SirJes, cjcampbell and seacan2 like this.
    04-09-13 09:36 AM
    My post is totally genuine but my thanks for all the responses. I will try to exercise some (more) patience....
    I wouldn't. If Skype really is THAT important to you, now is the time to get a Skype ready device. If that is an android device then you have a couple of options, Google Talk works better than Skype 9 out of 10 times for me. Of windows phone should run Skype flawlessly. Im not trying to shoo you away from our little blackberry nest, but if you need other functionality, you need another device.
    I use the blackberry because it does exactly what I need it to do, no waiting, no patience, no promises, and Im on Verizon! Some of my family and many of my friends work at Google in Mountain View CA, When I visit for lunch (fabulous, fabulous lunches by the way) you should hear the smack against BB. I have a Note2 also, but its the BB that I reach for when I need things done. Im still slippin and trippin on this touch screen keyboard, Im definitely looking forward to the Q10 just to see if its that much better. If it is, Im all over it.
    04-09-13 09:37 AM
    Bottom line: no, its not mandatory. If you deem that it is for you, please move along to a lesser functioning device. We will welcome you back once it is available.
    seacan2, Enyigma and StreetNerd like this.
    04-09-13 09:38 AM
376 123 ...