Oh... No...

Take a look: Goodbye BlackBerry Internet Service, African market could look elsewhere | News | HumanIPO

It became apparent as Rory O'Neill, Vice President of Product & Channel Marketing at BlackBerry, was answering questions related to the BIS service on the BB10 phones and on BB 7 based smartphones.

O’Neill explained that the BB10 smartphones will not come bundled with BIS nor support it. The only service to run on BlackBerry’s infrastructure will be BlackBerry Messenger (BBM) and some enterprise related applications.
    02-02-13 04:50 AM
    Hmm.. well, I'm coming from the 9900. If I wanted to make a phone call, I just press the Phone button. That brings me to the recent call list, but I can start dialling on the keyboard right away, OR, if I start typing in a name, it'll search my contacts right away. I suppose we'll have to wait until the Q10 to try this out.
    I see, on the 9900 you would be correct.. and I just checked my Torch with keyboard open does the same, before I was using virtual kb... so agreed the Q10 would be the best comparison but I'm thinking BB will probly allow the same functionality as currently on the 9900 & 9800/10.. But since the Z has no physical kb, there is the extra step of tapping the open field before typing...
    02-02-13 04:52 AM
    I think this calls for a Z10/Q10 FAQ Page given how long this thread is going in.
    Zack Konietzny likes this.
    02-02-13 04:57 AM
    I was wondering if the apps that you have open in active frames have any effect on the battery drain rate? Say you have the browser open or an app that uses the gps, will the battery drain quicker than if you just had the pictures folder in active frames. Also, can you close out apps in active frames?
    02-02-13 05:36 AM
    I saw your reply in the other thread, I did not follow up. Sorry. I have not used SIRI much, but Voice Control is simpler. Voice Control is pretty snappy and functional, but does not learn like SIRI.

Who my girlfriend is, or what my name will not be asked for by Voice Control. I tried to improvise it by adding nickname field into Contact data, nope.
    It does not remember that type of information, you can't really have a conversation either. I asked Who am I, said search the web?
    The voice commands have a structure, and it can be rigid. Dictation is pretty good. I'd love to compare them side by side. I know you wanted a more specific reply.

Look at this too. Awesome, clear video I found in Help.
    http://demos.blackberry.com/blackber...ce-Control.mp4

Does it remember commands and store them though?

The siri will remember if you tell it person A is your girlfriend and if you say "Call girlfriend", it remembers and knows, and things like "Remember when I say Sherdog, I want you to open Sherdog.net"
    Etc. _____, his Phone calls him batman because he was messing around when he bought it and said "i'm batman", then the phone asked if it should remember that.

I am just curious as to how it stacks up against the Siri and if it has the same ability to learn and adapt its voice commands.

* No, currently you can only set one Alarm time! * once and for all
    But that alarm [time] can reoccur! Like wake up at 7:50 am for Mon, Wed, Thurs, Friday. However changing the alarm as you need, will change the other days too. So if you needed alarm for 4:00 pm today, the occurrences would be Mon, Wed, Thurs, Friday, 4pm too. A bit silly.

You can not have alarms on the Calendar. I hope its Coming. I tried a few variations, even making a fake reminder in my calendar but can not set a different sound ;(

Has anyone checked to see if you can use the Calendar to set multiple alarms? I used to always use that route to be able to set different alarms....
    Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Novaone; 02-02-13 at 07:30 AM.
    02-02-13 05:47 AM
    So, you can have a different alarm on Wednesday than from other days in the week? Different times to Sat and Sun from midweek?
    austriker likes this.
    02-02-13 06:04 AM
    Great read on this thread!!! Many thanks to those of you who have taken the time to post on your actual, real world, real life experiences, and to answer questions that people would have.
    Between the reviews on the blogs and those of you contributing to this thread, I'm learning a lot. Much appreciated.
    mingus007 likes this.
    02-02-13 06:19 AM
    Is the Z10 able to function without a SIM, I am in the Royal Air Force and when I go to certain parts of the world we aren't allowed to take our phones. What my colleagues with the Iphones do is to remove the SIM and use the phones wifi/email/media capabilities. Is this going to be possible with the Z10?

Yes all works even bbm voice etc.
    02-02-13 06:37 AM
    I think this calls for a Z10/Q10 FAQ Page given how long this thread is going in.
    Yeah, I totally agree. I consider expanding the first post to make FAQ, but a sticky could be better.
    02-02-13 07:16 AM
    How easy/difficult is it to move the cursor precisely between letters in a document or text?

This question addresses my worry about the loss of that trackpad.
    02-02-13 07:22 AM
    So, you can have a different alarm on Wednesday than from other days in the week? Different times to Sat and Sun from midweek?
    Ahh I see that. I rewrote for clarity.

The alarm time is selectable by the user, but Alarms can not be set for events the future, programmed, like when you need to wake for school, early meeting, early flight. Its' not flexible, for now.

How easy/difficult is it to move the cursor precisely between letters in a document or text?

I wouldn't worry per say, it will get better, but it is not perfect either. Text selection will improve but can be a nuisance, then again my text is pretty small. I also don't know the copy cut past icons by heart yet. Trackpad was precise-r but is also slow by comparison. Best bet, try it out for your self.
    02-02-13 07:34 AM
    My question is about the adobe flash capability of the Z10. Opening flash-rich sites (browser) is my main concern or inquiry. When opening a Site for example, YouTube...when playing a video, does the z10 immediately direct you to its native video player? Or does it play the video right on the browser? Does it open videos just as how android phones/iphone open videos via sites with videos?
    02-02-13 07:51 AM
    opens within the browser. went to YouTube which was a couple of flicks on the keyboard (didnt have to type much) it took me to m.youtube.com. playing a video in portrait gave you a small screen version with rest of page blacked out. swipe down to bring page back, or turn portrait and it goes full screen. works well
    arvveeeeee likes this.
    02-02-13 08:23 AM

IMO this is the biggest loss going to the Z10. Using the trackpad with gloves in the winter, using it in bright sunlight... always worked. The "selection" magnifiying glass works better than the iPhone but I'm still getting used to it. Selecting text and precisely moving the cursor around is still easier with the trackpad for me.
    Novaone likes this.
    02-02-13 10:51 AM
    Sure would like to know how well the screen works in direct light - screen washout
    How good is the speaker volume & clarity - is it a good speaker phone
    How well does the vibrate function work - strong, weak etc
    Any info appreciated - Thanks
    02-02-13 11:06 AM
    IMO this is the biggest loss going to the Z10. Using the trackpad with gloves in the winter, using it in bright sunlight... always worked. The "selection" magnifiying glass works better than the iPhone but I'm still getting used to it. Selecting text and precisely moving the cursor around is still easier with the trackpad for me.
    Could you provide a video for this, please?
    02-02-13 11:06 AM
    I would like to know a few things about the Blackberry z10

1 - The screen is more or less bright than the Galaxy S3?

2 - Quality of call is good?

3 - Quality and volume of the sound compared to S3?

4 - wi-fi signal gets to a distance greater than the galaxy s3?

5 - Select text and copy / paste is as good as the Iphone?

5 - The browser has shortcuts or bookmarks on the home screen when you open a new tab (like the chrome and dolphin)?

7 - fixed GPS satellites quickly and has good accuracy?

8 - They believe that blackberry will update the software to add some functions like: Adjust volume for expensive program, alarm can be programmed with different schedules, pop up notifications (text or email)?
    02-02-13 12:18 PM
    Oh yeah, another bummer, no UMA. No Wifi calling either. And I'm on Orange in the UK. Hopefully will come in a software update but the lack of information isn't a good thing.
    Thanks for posting this. I'm a T-Mobile US customer, and was hoping for UMA. Hopefully US release (doubtful) or the Q10 has it.
    02-02-13 12:24 PM
    Can you please help, also know that I am new to Crackberry and unfamilar with forums

I am trying to figure out how I can reactivate a bb 8330 that havent used in couple years. The one I was using is no more, water damage and cannot afford to purchase another plus the bb 8830 has been my favorite expect trackball issues.

Can you please help and explain my options.

I am grateful for any help
    02-02-13 12:54 PM
    Few further thoughts after 24 hours

- Annoyed that there's no clarity on whether a BIS plan will allow me data compression, which is a huge plus.

- Keyboard is quite awesome, quickly becoming my fave feature.

- Battery life _ I've been very careful to use sparingly today, just checking messages every now and then with push on 4 Gmail accounts, off the charger at 6AM and its now 715 in the evening, 30% left. But I have used it VERY sparingly.

- Sucks not having WhatsApp.

- BBM is a bit difficult for me, I converted 2 friends to BlackBerry before I moved to Android, they still have their 9900s, for some reason even with them on home wifi, I can't BBM voice them. they're insisting they BBM is updated to the max but the option for BBM voice isn't showing up at all for them or me.
    Can't see any button for BBM video either, guess that only shows up if your contact is on a Z10.

- Device crashed twice, sort of. Took it out of holster to find it off. Second time think I realised what happened, when I was putting it in the holster, accidentally briefly pressed up the power button on top as I was sliding it in. Briefest of presses when pushing it into holster seems to turn device off completely. Weird.

- App world very populated, found loads of RSS apps for example. No reviews at all though, early days for the OS, bit overwhelming knowing what to try. Good to have choices though, definitely, very impressed with their app strategy so far for BB10.

- How is there no CrackBerry app? Weird...

Still feel like this is a beta, but it sure is a fun beta, and I really think this is gonna take off once they release the first few updates. I hate the word potential, but wow it feels like this has potential.
    02-02-13 01:20 PM
    I don't want to go through all 12 pages of this thread so I apologize if this was answered already. Is there a way to put the phone on vibrate quickly? For example, on my 9900 I would just push and hold the "Q" button and it would switch from whatever profile it was in to vibrate.
    02-02-13 02:12 PM
    I don't want to go through all 12 pages of this thread so I apologize if this was answered already. Is there a way to put the phone on vibrate quickly? For example, on my 9900 I would just push and hold the "Q" button and it would switch from whatever profile it was in to vibrate.
    From home screen, you can drag down from the top and bring up quick settings, theres a button to quickly change profiles.
    Mine only changes between normal and silent, I'm sure there will be some element of customisation there eventually.
    No keyboard shortcuts on the virtual keyboard as far as I know.
    02-02-13 02:24 PM
    Thanks bobauckland!
    02-02-13 02:32 PM
    I'm seeing a lot of comments like "I'm sure we'll see such and such feature soon"... that is starting to worry me...
    CDM76 likes this.
    02-02-13 02:51 PM

- Sucks not having WhatsApp.
    I thought Whatsapp was one of the "confirmed" apps during the launch? Is it really not there?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    02-02-13 02:59 PM
355 ... 1011121314 ...