I saw the two questions I want answering, but haven't seen any answers for them.

1. Can you change the fonts and font size like previous BBs?
    2. Can you change the in call volume up and down during calls?
    3. What is the volume like during calls? is it noticeably nice and loud?

Thank you for answering these. I had a play on the z10 yesterday, am in the uk, but found couldn't do much on the demo model in the shop
    1.) Font sizes 5 through Blind (18). Hmmm... oddly enough I can't find anywhere to change the font. Looks like just size for now!
    2.) Yes - the rocker buttons on the side accomplish this in a call just fine.
    3.) I've only had one call on it thus far so can't judge, but it was on par with my 9900 - really nice so far.
    GlamGemini likes this.
    02-01-13 03:29 PM
    Is the Z10 able to function without a SIM, I am in the Royal Air Force and when I go to certain parts of the world we aren't allowed to take our phones. What my colleagues with the Iphones do is to remove the SIM and use the phones wifi/email/media capabilities. Is this going to be possible with the Z10?
    02-01-13 03:36 PM
    1.) Font sizes 5 through Blind (18). Hmmm... oddly enough I can't find anywhere to change the font. Looks like just size for now!
    3.) I've only had one call on it thus far so can't judge, but it was on par with my 9900 - really nice so far.
    Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions, much appreciated
    BrizzadMan likes this.
    02-01-13 03:38 PM
    Ok so I got one yesterday and I know there are two other threads on this already but they have been completely useless for me. So I am gonna ask this question here and see if anyone can solve my problem. So my question is do I need BIS to use data + BBM etc on the Blackberry Z10? I am currently with bell canada and I have 6gb smartphone data and that does not currently work with my z10. It only works on wifi.

The things I have tried:
    - System settings --> Network connections --> Mobile Network --> APN (No luck there APN is set to blackberry.net and its greyed out - It wont let me change it)
    - System settings --> About --> Category: Network ( When my wifi is on thats the only time I can click on "Register Blackberry" if wifi is off then that page is blank and there is no option to register BB)

The research I have done:
    - Called Blackberry and spoke to customer support they said I need BIS for it to work
    - Called Bell and they said I need BIS for it to work

My Concern:
    - BB said they will be phasing BIS out and I am currently on a promotional plan so If I switch to BIS and they phase it out I will lose my plan as well (which I dont want)

So...
    I want to know how people on other threads/ forum have claimed to have Internet/ BBM working on their z10 without BIS. What are they doing that I'm not? Or is this a service provider issue?
    02-01-13 03:43 PM
    Is the Z10 able to function without a SIM, I am in the Royal Air Force and when I go to certain parts of the world we aren't allowed to take our phones. What my colleagues with the Iphones do is to remove the SIM and use the phones wifi/email/media capabilities. Is this going to be possible with the Z10?
    I initially put it on my Hotel's WIFI first, before inserting the provided SIM. I didn't try everything (e.g: BBM) - but apps/browser/etc still worked fine. My only concern would be BBM - so maybe I'll try this later for you and let you know.
    02-01-13 03:45 PM
    I'm missing that... just pressing the phone button brings you to dial. On the Z10, you swipe up from the bottom, the phone button is on the screen, tap it. That brings up your recently called numbers. Three buttons on the bottom, "Calls, Contacts, dialpad." I'm used to being able to bring up the phone 'app' and just start typing a contact name. Can't do it on the Z10, extra tap into contacts, then two-finger swipe up to get the keyboard. And you have to specifically bring up the dialpad to dial a number. What a PHONE function on a PHONE?! no way.
    ummm not sure what phone u use currently but that's not how my BB 9810 works.. i hit Phone button, i get the dialpad with three buttons as well: Dialpad, Calls, Contacts.. unless you have the initial view set to Calls or Contacts you can't just start typing on OS7 either.. But I'm sure there's an option to set the default view in OS10 as well? so just set it to calls or contacts then hit the open field (instead of two-finger swipe for keyboad)... it seems ur making it harder than it has to be, it's the same number of gestures from OS7 touch to BB10 if you have default view set to contacts.

OS7: Phone button, tap field, start typing
    OS10: Phone icon, tap field, start typing
    02-01-13 04:17 PM
    I have a few questions on filing email messages. Hope someone can comment:

1. When you go to file an email message in an outlook folder, how does the folder list show up? Is it a long list of folders, with nested subfolders, that you scroll down like in iOS? Or does it flatten the nested folders and alphabetize them ALL like Android does (or at least it used to do)? Or is it like the PlayBook where you can expand/collapse the nested folders to make it easier to scroll through a long list of folders?

2. After you file a message in a folder, and then you go to file a reply or response to that message, does BB10 remember the folder in which the first message was filed? If you then send a message to the same email address, or with the same subject, does it remember the first folder as well, the way it does in BB7?

3. Is there any way to quickly jump to a specific folder? In BB7 you could start typing the name of the folder, and that folder would be at the top of the list. Obviously, you need a keyboard for that. Can you bring up the keyboard during the filing process and type the first letter? Or are there perhaps other shortcuts that could help in this regard? This would be helpful to people that have a very large number of project folders they work with.

Thanks!
    02-01-13 04:37 PM
    ummm not sure what phone u use currently but that's not how my BB 9810 works.. i hit Phone button, i get the dialpad with three buttons as well: Dialpad, Calls, Contacts.. unless you have the initial view set to Calls or Contacts you can't just start typing on OS7 either..
    Hmm.. well, I'm coming from the 9900. If I wanted to make a phone call, I just press the Phone button. That brings me to the recent call list, but I can start dialling on the keyboard right away, OR, if I start typing in a name, it'll search my contacts right away. I suppose we'll have to wait until the Q10 to try this out.
    02-01-13 04:44 PM
    How is watching youtube videos on the web browser? How clear are they? Is there an option for watching videos in hq/hd quality? Thanks for replying in advance! (:
    02-01-13 04:55 PM
    How is watching youtube videos on the web browser? How clear are they? Is there an option for watching videos in hq/hd quality? Thanks for replying in advance! (:
    The browser youtube function works perfectly. If the video is available in HD, the HD simple comes up on the bottom left of the video and can be turned off and on by pressing it.

It's very fast over 3G and Wi-Fi and all the videos i have watched so far are very clear and look very good on the screen. Overall a much better experience than any other blackberry for it.
    02-01-13 05:16 PM
    Ah yes! another question regarding installing and deleting apps - can this be done without having to restart the phone every single time? Does it need to be done through the app world or can it be done on the handset itself?

TIA!
    02-01-13 05:17 PM
    I have a few questions on filing email messages. Hope someone can comment:

1. When you go to file an email message in an outlook folder, how does the folder list show up? Is it a long list of folders, with nested subfolders, that you scroll down like in iOS? Or does it flatten the nested folders and alphabetize them ALL like Android does (or at least it used to do)? Or is it like the PlayBook where you can expand/collapse the nested folders to make it easier to scroll through a long list of folders?

2. After you file a message in a folder, and then you go to file a reply or response to that message, does BB10 remember the folder in which the first message was filed? If you then send a message to the same email address, or with the same subject, does it remember the first folder as well, the way it does in BB7?

3. Is there any way to quickly jump to a specific folder? In BB7 you could start typing the name of the folder, and that folder would be at the top of the list. Obviously, you need a keyboard for that. Can you bring up the keyboard during the filing process and type the first letter? Or are there perhaps other shortcuts that could help in this regard? This would be helpful to people that have a very large number of project folders they work with.

Thanks!
    1. The folder list shows up in a long list of folders with nested subfolders that you can expand and scroll down to select where you would like the email to be saved.
    2. Dont know.
    3. You can hit a drop down icon at the top that brings up all the folders. There is a search function at the top with "find a folder" in it so i assume you can search for whatever folder you would like to look in.
    kirson likes this.
    02-01-13 05:19 PM
    Ah yes! another question regarding installing and deleting apps - can this be done without having to restart the phone every single time? Does it need to be done through the app world or can it be done on the handset itself?

TIA!
    Apps can be installed and deleted without restarting the phone at all. I have yet to restart my phone apart from a sideloading issue and that didn't require a restart. It was just me being stupid!

So far I have only installed apps through app world. If you are not sideloading apps there does not appear to be a way to install apart from through the app store.
    kazmi and Novaone like this.
    02-01-13 05:21 PM
    So I got curious and picked up a black Z10 this evening.
    It's a very nice phone, feels nice in the hand, and I'm pretty happy with it overall.
    It's basically a beta, there's no major cross platform apps like WhatsApp or Viber yet. No Skype yet.
    I'm sure they will come soon enough, close to the US release.

Went through App World, packed with apps, no reviews, makes picking an RSS reader for example a very difficult proposition.

I'm digging the gestures.
    I think 6 months down the line this will do all I want it to and more. The keyboard is nice, the individual keys are big, widely spaced, and I like the prediction. No complaints.
    There's Universal search which I really like, and it works better than on my Android device.

The LED looks good, but only red so far, I'm told the APIs for customisation are not available yet.

There are no holster settings I can find which is bad.
    Emails from all my accounts are now 'Messages', so I can't have different tones for different accounts, which means my Android device, which stole that functionality from the BlackBerry, now does that better than the new BlackBerry. That's sad, and hopefully will change.

Played around with TimeShift, seemed like fun.
    Haven't had the chance to give the camera a good once over.

No Google Plus, tried Dropbox, its integrated into the filesystem but I can't get it to automatically upload new photos taken, which is a shame.

Overall I'm impressed because I think this has a lot of potential.
    I'm hoping to be blown away by upgrades over the next weeks to months.

I'm gonna try running this as my main phone but hanging on to my Razr I for now.
    djrupey and bob_n_along like this.
    02-01-13 05:28 PM
    Has anyone gotten HD Voice calling to work? I've tried calling an iPhone 5 but the HD Voice icon pops up then disappears when the ringing begins.
    02-01-13 05:36 PM
    Oh yeah, another bummer, no UMA. No Wifi calling either. And I'm on Orange in the UK. Hopefully will come in a software update but the lack of information isn't a good thing.
    CDM76 and raino like this.
    02-01-13 05:36 PM
    Can we sideload whatsapp?

It's a very nice phone, feels nice in the hand, and I'm pretty happy with it overall.
    It's basically a beta, there's no major cross platform apps like WhatsApp or Viber yet. No Skype yet.

Went through App World, packed with apps, no reviews, makes picking an RSS reader for example a very difficult proposition.

I think 6 months down the line this will do all I want it to and more. The keyboard is nice, the individual keys are big, widely spaced, and I like the prediction. No complaints.
    There's Universal search which I really like, and it works better than on my Android device.

The LED looks good, but only red so far, I'm told the APIs for customisation are not available yet.

Emails from all my accounts are now 'Messages', so I can't have different tones for different accounts, which means my Android device, which stole that functionality from the BlackBerry, now does that better than the new BlackBerry. That's sad, and hopefully will change.

No Google Plus, tried Dropbox, its integrated into the filesystem but I can't get it to automatically upload new photos taken, which is a shame.

I'm gonna try running this as my main phone but hanging on to my Razr I for now.
    02-01-13 05:41 PM

Thanks for the detailed rundown. Here in Australia we've got to wait till late march/early april at the very soonest to get ours. I'm confident there will be an update or 2 by then. Enjoy your Z10.
    02-01-13 05:56 PM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/asset.p...0&d=1359545075

A few of us are fortunate to win one today @ the Launch Events - So ask us questions in here, and we can answer!

Think of it like an Ad Hoc Review. I know I always want authors to follow-up on specific comments after a review, so do that in here.
    The rest of you probably won't have to wait too long though.

Cheers!
    Did any of you guys do a device switch from a BB7 device to the Z10? If so, how did it go? We've seen reports that it won't bring emails form your BB7 device across. Is that really the case? Anything else not brought across? I'm gonna be coming from a BB9900 with 8 email accounts setup with lots of emails in each one. Was hoping to bring them across.
    02-01-13 06:01 PM

The developer API's for the LED are there. Whether they're functioning or not I don't know, because everyone seems to be saying they aren't available - if not I imagine they'll be there soon.

There are also holster API's. I have no idea what that is, but it's in the developer docs. Although it comes with the disclaimer "not all sensors are available on all systems"... Maybe someone with a Z10 can make a quick app to see what sensors are available - that would be sweet. I could do it but I don't have a phone.

Some other cool tidbits from the developer docs - whether they're implemented eventually or not we'll have to see I guess... face detect and pressure sensors.
    02-01-13 06:02 PM
    The developer API's for the LED are there. Whether they're functioning or not I don't know, because everyone seems to be saying they aren't available - if not I imagine they'll be there soon.

There are also holster API's. I have no idea what that is, but it's in the developer docs. Although it comes with the disclaimer "not all sensors are available on all systems"... Maybe someone with a Z10 can make a quick app to see what sensors are available - that would be sweet. I could do it but I don't have a phone.

Some other cool tidbits from the developer docs - whether they're implemented eventually or not we'll have to see I guess... face detect and pressure sensors.
    I really hope they make a app Like ColorID where you can set each contact a different color. I am sure they can do that & BlackBerry wont stop them.
    02-01-13 06:06 PM
    I would like to thank uzmarvel for taking the time to seek out the answers to my questions. Don't worry uzmarvel, you are not helping someone hide things from a wife or partner, but rather I believe in the following in regard to smartphones software for myself: if I am not going to use it = uninstall it, if I can't uninstall it = disable it, and if I can't disable it = hide it. Someone in a android forum once said that I want a "dumb" smartphone, but rather my view is I want my phone to do certain things and if uninstalling applications or disabling features, that I will never use, can be done then I would rather do it to free up resources and space for the stuff that I do use. Phone/Email/Text/Web Browsing is what I use my smartphone for and maybe every once in awhile taking a picture/video/audio. Not interested in installing applications and have never installed an app on blackberry or android.
    02-01-13 06:21 PM
    You can create folders but cannot hide them. BB7 had limited space/home screen but in BB10 you can have unlimited apps and folders, you can pack all unuseful apps in a folder and put at the end, or delete them completely. If you have a big collection of apps, it will be difficult to find them (I had the same experience in iPod touch and android). you can find them with universal search easily.
    How many folders Can you create and have? Can you place folders within subfolders?
    There is no way to make hidden files/Folders? I find that strange since every system I have ever used makes it possible to hit "Properties. Hidden"
    It is never fun when someone is playing with your phone and thinks your pokerstars app is play money Or other random things you want invisible until you click "Show hidden"
    meganVee likes this.
    02-01-13 07:29 PM
    Will the software recognize phone numbers and addresses in messages and the Remember app so that it launches the dialer and map app when selected?
    Novaone likes this.
    02-01-13 07:58 PM
    Just want to second this, The font size adjustment is awesome. Thought that would stay with OS 7
    austriker likes this.
    02-02-13 04:20 AM
355 ... 910111213 ...