I just voted today!!!! and I will again next week Let's do it Crackberry Nation!!!
    02-18-13 05:19 PM
    voted again this week
    So did I
    I voted today. One vote.
    I guess you can see why I assumed you had voted more than once, seeing as how the above poster claimed he had as well, and you agreed with him. Either way, the poll is a joke, but carry on!
    Charles Martin1 likes this.
    02-18-13 05:54 PM
    On the question of "aritificiality"....I believe I was one of the first to bring up this point in another thread in which CB'ers were calling for the flooding of a poll.

If you are having a "contest"...then it isn't "artificial"...the contest isn't meant to be a true reflection of the population....it just means BB has some galvanized/organized/fanatical followers.

If you are having a "poll" which attempts to create a statistic, or if you simply start interpeting the results as a statistic (regardless of it's original intent), then yes, the results are artificial, and essentially become meaningless/useless as anything other than a misleading statistic.
    02-18-13 06:10 PM
    BB needs all the positive support it can get. . .I agree it may in fact be artificial but the majority of people won't think so critically. . .they will see it as # one and proceed to take a second good look at the device. . .that's justifies the "false win" IMHO. . .
    I think this intellectually dishonest, but I applaud your honesty in admitting it! ;-)
    Charles Martin1 and aniym like this.
    02-18-13 06:11 PM
    "PhoneDog Media's Official Smartphone Rankings� (OSR) has become the gold standard for ranking the market's greatest smartphones by placing votes from readers and experts alike in respective charts each week."

Lol, this is the first time I hear about this poll.
    Oh no....it's "official". ;-)
    02-18-13 06:12 PM
    In correlational statistics, this is called the Hawthorne Effect. These kinds of manufactured findings aren't even helpful for word-of-mouth. They're just woefully inaccurate and hyperbolic, but keep drinking the kool aid if it makes you feel better.
    Heh, I like this, but I don't see this as being Hawthorne Effect...which generally relates to a form of observer effect, and takes away from naturalistic observervation. This is really just an outright, intentional skewing of the sampling population!
    02-18-13 06:18 PM
    Yip. However, given my displeasure with the media hacks I couldn't be a hypocrite and stack the vote.
    02-18-13 06:19 PM
    Kevin, if you're reading this, you should consider encouraging Thorsten to run for Prime Minister in the next election. He already looks like Stephen Harper's taller, thinner brother and I think it's clear that no one can beat Crackberry at getting out the vote!
    02-18-13 07:28 PM
    I have no problem with Crackberry creating these voting blitzes, it helps BlackBerry and is a form of marketing.

But after a poll has been been blitzed don't be posting that the poll has any kind of significance, especially amongst the general population.

This was apparent in the Superbowl commercial. Crackberry posts encouraged blitzing the Superbowl commercial, the nature of the commercial voting was such that you had to vote again to see the vote counts. As expected, the Z10 absolutely blew away everyone else.

After the commercial, during some of the discussion about the effectiveness of the Z10 many then used the NFL commercial polls as evidence the Z10 commercial was effective. Maybe it was, maybe it wasn't, but the NFL Superbowl commercial certainly wasn't an indicator either way.
    anon(3310921) and aniym like this.
    02-18-13 11:47 PM
  10. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    all i can say is … "Damn, this bb Z10 is so F***kin amazing!!! .. best phone i have ever owned!
    02-18-13 11:57 PM
    I'm impressed...
    02-19-13 12:38 AM
    Isn't this the competition that WebOS used to win? I seem to remember a beaming Jon Rubinstein stood up on stage in front of a graphic explaining how they were number one.
    02-19-13 01:14 AM
    I don't see this as any particular measurement of anything. It's absolutely a completely artificial popularity contest.

That doesn't actually render it useless, though. It shows that there's a community that at least cares enough to visit the site and go vote, and that sends the message that, yes, there actually are users who like the product.

I don't expect anyone to take it seriously (I'd actually be deeply worried about anyone who would), but at this point a win is a win. What would be really interesting would be if the Z10 could actually stay on top for a couple of months. That would REALLY send a message.
    02-19-13 01:34 AM
    I just don't see how people can say that this poll is "rigged" or that CrackBerry is bad because people from CB voted?

The poll was made aware to community.

People who wanted to vote for the phone they felt was best (in their own opinion) voted.

That's it. It's not like anyone was forced to vote via CB. Seriously, some of the comments in that poll are blaming CB for sending all it's users to vote for the Z10, as if anyone on CB really has any leverage of the internet to force someone to vote...

Sure, you can make the argument that there is a lack of iOS/Android votes for whatever reason (maybe they didn't know about the poll; just didn't care about voting; forgot to vote; etc), but those same reasons can be applied to people who would've voted for the Z10 but didn't.

Most of all, the lack of votes for other devices does not invalidate the votes for the Z10.

And please do not get it twisted. I'm not saying the Z10 is the best smartphone (although for me it is). What I am getting at is that this poll is just a testament to any other poll. Don't complain and say, "Z10 is only #1 because CB told users to upvote it." No one put a gun to their head and made them vote. If anything, the question should be, where were all the voters for Android/iOS? Again, the lack of votes for those devices does not invalidate the votes for the Z10.
    02-19-13 01:46 AM
    If anything, the question should be, where were all the voters for Android/iOS? Again, the lack of votes for those devices does not invalidate the votes for the Z10.
    The answer? Not bothered by this poll...the sales figures and customer satisfaction figures prove them right. Galaxy Note II easily sold 10 million units in 3 months. I'd be extremely surprised if the Z10 can get up to a quarter of that number in that time.

Then again, desperate times call for desperate measures
    02-19-13 02:04 AM
    The note has sold over 10 million units and is not even the flagship Samsung model. Posts like this relying on non scientific data, particularly very biased data from one source are embarrassing. Posts like this are the reason other blogs make fun of the users here
    djh_wolf, richardat, aniym and 2 others like this.
    02-19-13 02:23 AM
    The answer? Not bothered by this poll...the sales figures and customer satisfaction figures prove them right. Galaxy Note II easily sold 10 million units in 3 months. I'd be extremely surprised if the Z10 can get up to a quarter of that number in that time.

Then again, desperate times call for desperate measures
    So, 2.5 million Z10s in calendar Q2 would surprise you? I'll make a note to come back here in July...
    02-19-13 02:56 AM
    (sarcasm) I expected this to happen on the first day of release ......oh well, at least it happened (sarcasm)
    02-19-13 03:01 AM
    I love how people are complaining on the PhoneDog site saying "oh these results don't mean anything" etc etc.

So let me get this right, the PhoneDog is a good resource if Samsung or Apple are number 1, but when its Blackberry "oh these results are not scientific etc etc". These the same people who voted the Note2 and cheered the results in peoples face that "my phone is ranking at number 1"
    02-19-13 03:03 AM
    So, 2.5 million Z10s in calendar Q2 would surprise you? I'll make a note to come back here in July...
    Yes, that would surprise me.
    Here are my reasons
    1. Sales cannibalism from the Q10 (which is THE Blackberry most people are used to)

2. release of tons of high profile Android handsets from Samsung (Galaxy S IV), HTC, Sony, Huawei, Motorola etc will easily suck most of the sales at the high end...in conjunction with the iPhone 5

3. Cost of the Z10. Believe it or not, most of the approx 7 million units of BB phones sold last quarter were affordable curves and a few Bolds. In the developing countries, a not insignificant number of customers can afford the phone...but many many more cannot do so.

4. Rise of Whatsapp - this is currently weaning people off BBM. One of my BBM groups just switched over to Whatsapp, and a good third of the number just dumped their BB phones. For many millions of people, BBM is the only thing keeping them on BB.

5. No BIS on BB10: I just got my Z10 a few days ago and subscribed for a data plan. That didn't faze me much since i'm pretty well off, but i can assure you that in all my conversations with OS7 people who are intrigued about the Z10, nothing scares the living bejeezus out of them than when I tell them that their cheap BIS plans with unlimited data (and the ultra-cheap plans for social-only) will most likely not work. Nothing scares them half as much. Loads of people I know will NOT give up their BIS plans for anything...and this is even more worrisome for BB in developing countries where having 2 phones is considered normal. I don't think I know anyone with just one phone...and cheap Android phones are now powerful enough to run most of the apps they need.

Call me a pessimist, but i see myself more as a realist. BB10 is a great OS but I think Blackberry needs to do more to differentiate themselves on hardware AND software...and compete on the low end. There are Quad core Android devices zipping merrily on 1GB RAM on sale for slightly above $200. Nokia's Lumia 620 is grabbing SUPERB reviews...and it's doing that on a dual core 1Ghz, 512MB ram SoC. Thor needs to figure out quickly how to make lower end BB phones to sell to developing countries.

We'll see.
    imz likes this.
    02-19-13 05:35 AM
    That doesn't actually render it useless, though. It shows that there's a community that at least cares enough to visit the site and go vote, and that sends the message that, yes, there actually are users who like the product.e.
    That is true. it does say that....but what does that mean? Will it propel BB10 to success? Well, i don't want to rain on CB's parade or deny the efforts of fanatical fans, but....it sure wasn't making BB a success the last few years. (now it might have been helping! but certainly...not enough)

So would the poll tell us something we didn't already know? Well...no...especially those here on CB! (it might tell...uh...phonedog people that there is a fanatical CB base) Will it give us some promise of BB10 success? No. It also doesn't say anything about whether the base has grown....or the fanatical base for that matter.

So, it says something, something very simple, but I don't think it's anything useful to us.
    02-19-13 07:54 AM
    This is a nicety. Sales and only sales will propel BlackBerry and any other company.

So, enjoy the nice things.
    02-19-13 09:42 AM
    BB10 on top? Crappy poll.

Samsung on top? good poll.

Its so bizarre how upset people get by anything positive about BB, but the most bizarre thing is we are on a BB site.

Good BB news here to some is like pouring salt on a slug.
    02-19-13 11:47 AM
    ... nothing scares the living bejeezus out of them than when I tell them that their cheap BIS plans with unlimited data...will most likely not work.
    My $30 BIS plan with unlimited data works just fine with my Z10 in the U.S.
    02-19-13 12:05 PM
    Perception and reality are funny things. When enough people push a perception it can become a reality. Something that Apple perfected in their "marketing".
    So really, all this talk about artificial astroturf'ing sounds quite rich and hypocritical.

What I find really interesting is how out of touch "experts" are with the general "user" ranking when it comes to Apple & Blackberry.
    02-19-13 01:24 PM
102 1234 ...