Disclaimer...only been using my z10 for a month and new to BlackBerry as a whole....

Is it common knowledge that developers can take down reviews of their apps? I left a 3 star review for evolution browser. There was nothing childish or profane in the review. Just a statement that if it was free and I tried it out I wouldn't have spent the money as I preferred stock browser. I was shocked that a day later the review vanished. After googling the issue it seems it's pretty common. Wtf? How can that be. The whole review process is based on credibility and trust but now I have none. Hard to justify paying for apps knowing this. Sorry for the rant, but back to my question. Is this common knowledge in the BlackBerry community and if so how can it be acceptable?

Posted via CB10
    01-08-14 08:25 AM
    Maybe this is something that is left to the discretion of the developer as I've seen many negative reviews on apps that I look at that have not been removed

Not sure if it answered your question but was just giving you my take on it

Posted via CB10
    01-08-14 08:36 AM
    There have been a few other threads on this issue. Developers are SUPPOSE to justify removing reviews but I THINK they can remove any that they don't like. So, yes, reading reviews may not provide a true picture of users' experiences with any particular app.
    Barljo likes this.
    01-08-14 11:32 AM
    From what I know, they can remove specific reviews but the star rating of that review remains

Posted via CB10
    01-08-14 12:15 PM
    As a developer, we can remove ratings including stars at any time through the vendor portal, albeit the removal takes around 24 hours. This is done by opening a ticket with pushing a button - no explanation needed

There are some developers that simply refuse to support their apps and moderate any non-5 star review to keep sales going - you'll notice sometimes that it's often the same developer.

Myself, I let the bad reviews stay as long as there is nothing offensive for viewers. But sometimes I clean up reviews if they bash the app for a bug and I fix the bugs to resolve it (just because it confuses new people).

Posted via CB from my LE
    oystersourced likes this.
    01-08-14 12:52 PM
    Example of what we see attached for the curious

BlackBerry World reviews-img_00000668.png

These are for one of my free apps Bridge Alternative for PlayBook early OS2. It shipped without bridge on the one OS and this let's you bridge without it.

Posted via CB from my LE
    01-08-14 12:57 PM
    Tbh it is a joke of a situation.

Posted via CB10
    01-08-14 01:29 PM
    Tbh it is a joke of a situation.

Posted via CB10
    Agreed. I figure it will change eventually. I think deleted is fine as long as it says <Deleted> for each one so folks can see someone moderating it versus truly inappropriate.

Posted via CB from my LE
    darkehawke likes this.
    01-09-14 08:18 AM
    Thanks all. Basically confirms my fear. I must say I am truly disappointed that BlackBerry would allow this and will never buy an app from the developer of evolution browser again. Shady practice!

On the bright side I feel better knowing that other non-5star reviews were being deleted. I was beginning to question myself... how could I not love this browser when every single review was 5stars. Lol

Posted via CB10
    01-09-14 08:43 AM
    I have left 5 star positive reviews and they sometimes do not show up.
    01-09-14 09:11 AM
    BlackBerry has a rotten filtering system that automatically denies reviews if they contain "objectionable" words.

Words like - password - trigger an auto denial. I have had to raise tickets for many 5 star reviews just to get them approved.

Also, if you look at my app, Noted, in BlackBerry World, you'll see that the reviews aren't even sorted by date. If you scroll through all of them you can see that it has three sections of reviews sorted by date. I feel that this hurts my sales, as people would be more prone to buy an app with recent reviews.

Basically, BlackBerry has a long row to hoe here, and I totally agree with the OP.

Download Noted, a 5-star rated, native BB10 memo pad app.
    scrapmetal58 likes this.
    01-09-14 10:32 AM
    I have had some 5 star reviews on my apps that haven't been approved by BlackBerry. Vendors can also change that and approve reviews that BlackBerry has not approved.

I follow the same practice as KermEd leaving in all reviews unless there is a valid reason to remove them. One example that KermEd doesn't mention is support requests left in reviews. Not new feature requests, that is fine. Quite often I will see a review like "I can't get x-y-z to work, please help me." But there is no way to get in touch with the person who left the review to provide assistance, so no way to help them. That is what the support contact information is for. I generally remove those regardless of how many stars they have.

I would also like to point out that some unscrupulous vendors will game the system by putting bogus bad reviews on applications they see as competitors. Even if it is only up for 24 hours this can have a significant impact on an application, especially in its early days when there aren't many genuine reviews.

So I think the ability to moderate reviews at some level is an important feature for vendors to have, but they should use it responsibly. When I'm deciding if I want to spend money on an application I will generally not even look at those with only 5 star ratings, as this probably indicates less than forthright moderation. Not everyone is going to like everything about an application.
    01-09-14 10:41 AM
    Some reviews and reviewers get auto blocked for other reasons - I have suspicions but no evidence on why. But keywords, too many reported reviews, strange bug, or appworld team accidentally pressing the wrong button when they meant it press approve are my suspicions

My advice to everyone though. If you have problems, leave a bad review. But mention it on here and get a refund if it's broken. At least posting on here stays a long time

We got a lot of good deal (see the guys above) who don't abuse the system. So my advice, follow the Dev if you can

There are valid reasons. And I've even had to delete reviews for racist comments etc. But it just needs some more time to mature. It will get there .

Posted via CB from my LE
    01-09-14 11:15 PM
    I've noticed an increasing number of spam account reviews in Birmingham World.

Posted via CB10
    01-11-14 02:52 PM