I ran across this article today on theguardian. It pretty much states "BlackBerry's new BB10 software has been rejected by the British government as not secure enough for essential work, the Guardian can reveal." I was wondering from people familiar with the security standards between OS 7 to BB10 what exactly has changed. From what I understood from the article was that OS7 was approved. So did blackberry not look into security standards for the UK before having it tested? Seeing that this BB needs every sale from consumers and government agencies I just didn't understand how they let this slip by. Any input is appreciated and thanks in advance.

Here is the article link: BlackBerry software ruled not safe enough for essential government work | Technology | guardian.co.uk
    Last edited by bb4life21; 03-19-13 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Add link!
    03-19-13 05:27 PM
    Ouch here's to hoping 10.1 will pass

Posted via CB10
    bb4life21 likes this.
    03-19-13 05:32 PM
    I'm sure they looked into the UK standards and that this is a minor setback. As its clear from the article they will be re submitting its just a matter of when. They already have various levels of UK govt branches as clients so I doubt they missed the ball completely.

I've slowed my pace on reading these articles as they are often. Exaggerated and misinformed. The best source of info is on CB10

Posted via CB10 on my Z10 Oreo
    03-19-13 05:35 PM
    Opinion disguised as a news story.... Do not know much about the politics across the pond but one thing that was missing is that as much as the phones need to be secure... so does the network which was totally ignored.... In the German case.... the government went for a secure SD card system in conjunction with a secure network.... seems to be the way to go....
    03-19-13 05:39 PM
    Just read this article online and was about to post, but bb4life21 got in before me.!!!
    It seems rather odd that the UK Government has rejected BB10, especially since the German Government approved the BB10 for use, because of the security features not long after launch.
    03-19-13 05:43 PM
    I'm sure they looked into the UK standards and that this is a minor setback. As its clear from the article they will be re submitting its just a matter of when. They already have various levels of UK govt branches as clients so I doubt they missed the ball completely.

I've slowed my pace on reading these articles as they are often. Exaggerated and misinformed. The best source of info is on CB10

Posted via CB10 on my Z10 Oreo
    First off thanks for your reply and opinion bintheredundat. Can't say I 100% agree though. Blackberry has to know that it's do or die time now with this BB10 movement. Though I'm not sure how big or small failing this test is... I'm not sure how many "minor setbacks" BB can handle. And I do agree that some articles have been exaggerated and misinformed. But I didn't find this one to be one of them. As blackberry fans we have to take the good with the bad. Them failing the UK security test is definitively news worthy whether BB submits for another test or not.
    03-19-13 06:11 PM
    BS and ios / android are? BB10 is the ONLY OS that meets NATO standards for device security The huge German government order would also disagree.

CB10- BlackBerry Z10
    03-19-13 06:15 PM
    This would appear to be an instance where a writer has seized on a technicality and spun it up into something bigger. For one thing, it's a mischaracterization to call BB10 "not safe"; it just doesn't meet the current standard. The writer fails to mention which platforms DO meet the standard.

As well, the piece quotes that analyst Faucette from Pacific Crest Securities; the analyst and the firm have both been somewhat discredited as being outliers and historical BB bears.
    m0de25 likes this.
    03-19-13 06:22 PM
    Funny, didn't the NHS in part of the country confirm they would be using BlackBerry 10?

Posted via CB10
    03-19-13 06:53 PM
    New software often never meets Common Criteria conditions - technology moves faster than Government testing labs, so this is a nothing story really.

It is not to say that it is not secure, just that the testing has not been completed to the point of receiving a certification.
    03-19-13 06:59 PM
    There's a thread here about this as well
    http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=783675

Posted via CB10
    bb4life21 likes this.
    03-19-13 07:02 PM