Hi All,

Just wanted to share a handy hint for all BlackBerry 10 users.

If you've had your device for quite some time, and especially if you send and receive lots of text messages, BBM messages etc - you might notice that your hub starts to slow down a little, especially when responding to certain contacts.

I experienced this on my device - the device would get a little laggy each time I tried to text a certain contact. Then I realized that I had several thousand text messages in this single conversation! No wonder the phone was freaking out each time I loaded that conversation!

So here's the tip, and it's quite simple.

For Text Messages:

From the hub, Open a recent text from a contact who you frequently chat to. Tap the "..." <more> icon on the lower right of the conversation window. Select 'Clear Chat'. (then leave the phone for a good 10 minutes or so to allow it to clean out all the messages). Done!
    Note: this will erase all chat history, but on the bright side it will make your device respond much quicker when you're chatting to this contact.

For BBM messages:

From the hub, open a recent BBM conversation with a contact who you fequently chat to. Tap the "..." <More> icon on the bottom right (you may have to hide the keyboard to do this - tap on the conversation to do that). Select 'End Chat' and confirm. (then leave the phone for a good 10 minutes or so to allow it to clean out all the messages). Done!
    Note: this will erase all chat history, but on the bright side it will make your device respond much quicker when you're chatting to this contact.

If you do this periodically for high volume contacts, it will keep your device fresh and fast.

Keep the Hub short and tidy!

One final tip is to keep your entire hub history tidy. You might want to scroll down in your hub until you're viewing data from.. say... one month ago. Then, tap and hold on the date displayed at the top of the hub (eg. Thursday 1st August 2013) and a side menu will appear. Hit the trash can icon, and it will prompt you if you want to delete all prior items. Doing this will delete all items from your hub that are older than the date selected. (Note: If you have IMAP enabled, clearing out the emails in your hub may also delete them from your mail server, so use with caution!) This will again make your device respond quicker, as there's less clutter filling your hub!

Note: BB10 is a pretty amazing operating system and it's not until you have thousands of messages or many complex characters in a conversation that the device starts to slow down a little. Keeping these chat histories short helps do exactly that!

I hope this helps someone out there!
    Last edited by higherdestiny; 09-29-13 at 06:53 PM.
    09-26-13 06:26 PM
    Good tips, thanks!
    09-26-13 06:41 PM
    Thanks for the info but I believe there's a larger issue at hand.
    I had about 4 thousand text with a contact. The only way I realized this was when I researched why my text messages would freeze for almost 10 minutes. Or disappear and become a frozen blank space.

Erasing ALL text ( entire text of all contacts) resetting the Hub and restarting the phone didn't help.
    I've even removed battery and sim card at one point hoping the issue would go away.

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=852987

Posted via CB10
    09-26-13 06:47 PM
    I had about 4 thousand text with a contact. The only way I realized this was when I researched why my text messages would freeze for almost 10 minutes. Or disappear and become a frozen blank space.

Erasing ALL text ( entire text of all contacts) resetting the Hub and restarting the phone didn't help.
    I've even removed battery and sim card at one point hoping the issue would go away.

Posted via CB10

It can take quite some time to delete all the text messages. Important not to be impatient and reset the hub while it's still erasing old messages.

The process worked well for me - I deleted thousands of text messages, left the phone for 10 minutes or so and then tested - and it worked well.

For you, it might mean a fresh format. What version of OS are you running?
    Last edited by higherdestiny; 09-26-13 at 08:52 PM.
    09-26-13 06:54 PM
    The original Q10SQN100-5/10.1.0.4780 never installed leaks.

Oh yeah the weird thing was while the TM's were frozen and or blank. When new ones would come I and could go into HUB and see what was coming in before the text messages app unfroze or appeared again.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-13 07:12 PM
    The only thing I hate is how long it takes to delete messages

Posted via CB10
    09-26-13 08:07 PM
    This seems like a no-brainer.. well, you never know. Thanks, OP.

C0001BBF0 - BlackBerry 10 help channel.
    09-26-13 08:08 PM
    I've been doing this since day 1 haha. But i agree on the time it takes for the phone to delete everything, takes way too long.
    09-26-13 08:21 PM
    I've been doing this since day 1 haha. But i agree on the time it takes for the phone to delete everything, takes way too long.
    A lot of things about the OS is slow. Deleting messages, syncing contacts, boot time, the time for the Hub to load...

Posted via CB10
    09-26-13 08:28 PM
    A lot of things about the OS is slow. Deleting messages, syncing contacts, boot time, the time for the Hub to load...

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, if the Hub didn't make that little sound it does when it finishes doing its thing. I would forget why I reset it in the first place.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-13 08:43 PM
    Thanks for posting the information to help members. While others have been using it already, some will be posting request for help questions.
    09-26-13 08:54 PM
    I guess they should add an "archive" feature so you can prevent them from loading into the current conversation but allow you to go back through history. I use Skype, and its invaluable for being able to go back in history to check a chat. But I believe by default, it only goes to like 1 week or a month or something.
    09-26-13 09:17 PM
    Someone should make an app that do all those "cleaning" or "clearing up" tasks...

Posted via Z10
    higherdestiny likes this.
    09-26-13 10:11 PM
    Same thing happened to me. Took at least 10 min even after reboot...

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=852987

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    09-26-13 11:53 PM
    The best way is security wipe just kidding

Posted via CB10
    09-27-13 12:11 AM
    Another thing to remember is that if you erase e-mail messages from the hub and have an IMAP account, those messages will also be deleted form the account as well. Therefore, I do not have settings to go "forever" like many people wanted and complained because BlackBerry only went back 30 days.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-13 12:25 AM
    Another thing to remember is that if you erase e-mail messages from the hub and have an IMAP account, those messages will also be deleted form the account as well. Therefore, I do not have settings to go "forever" like many people wanted and complained because BlackBerry only went back 30 days.

Posted via CB10
    I hate the fact that I cannot delete on handheld only. I miss BB7 for that reason.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-13 06:13 AM
    If you turn on airplane mode while clearing caches it's faster...

Trusted Member Genius
    09-28-13 12:41 AM