Title says it all. Wouldn't this be an incredibly useful feature, or have I just been doing it wrong?

If there was a capacitor (or some sort of mini-battery) built into the device that gave basically one minute of run time then the device wouldn't shut off when swapping batteries on the road.
    VR6 and pttptppt like this.
    04-23-13 11:08 PM
    How many gigawatts should it be? About 1.21?
    04-23-13 11:12 PM
    At least enough to power a small nation for a week.
    SubCamp likes this.
    04-23-13 11:15 PM
    Agreed with the idea.. dont want to reboot when I just want to replace a used battery with a fully charged one.

P's.. lol love the Back to the future joke!

Posted via CB10
    04-23-13 11:25 PM
    That is a great idea. Question : anyone tried to use the phone without a battery? Plugged in? Would that work?

Posted via CB10
    04-23-13 11:28 PM
    I have that battery pack.. when my phone is low on charge and i need more time before swap, I just plug it into the battery pack... it charges the phone a little, then when I have time I do the swap...

But, definitely did think about a hot swap option... would be nice...

Posted via CB10
    pcguy514 likes this.
    04-23-13 11:56 PM
    great idea!!

Title says it all. Wouldn't this be an incredibly useful feature, or have I just been doing it wrong?

If there was a capacitor (or some sort of mini-battery) built into the device that gave basically one minute of run time then the device wouldn't shut off when swapping batteries on the road.
    04-24-13 12:12 AM
    Not sure if it's too late to reply. you can swap battery with power cable plugged in (usb or ac charger) during battery swap without rebooting.

niss63 and pcguy514 like this.
    10-17-13 04:06 PM
    Kinda like the new Thinkpads that have the integrated battery so that when the external battery dies you have about an hour or two to change without powering down.

It would definitely work but the look at the Z30. Battery built in.

Posted via CB10
    10-17-13 07:13 PM

Neat as this idea is, a capacitor that could hold enough energy to power the phone even that long would add weight. It's also something of an explosion hazard.
    pcguy514 likes this.
    10-17-13 07:18 PM
    Neat as this idea is, a capacitor that could hold enough energy to power the phone even that long would add weight. It's also something of an explosion hazard.
    capacitors do not explode. the problem is size because capacitance is determined by surface area of the plates.

using inspiration from the other members, i think the solution would be to plug a larger capacitor into the phone via usb which powers the phone while swapping the batteries instead of being inside the phone. maybe the capacitor could be part of the external battery charger???
    10-17-13 09:07 PM
    capacitors do not explode.
    Capacitors explode easily, especially the electrolytic varieties. Not normally when being discharged, though.

It's possible to change batteries without losing power. Connect another source equivalent to the battery, in parallel. Lift the original battery out, and insert the replacement. So long as the contacts in the phone are being supplied the correct voltage, and sufficient current draw is permitted, then the phone need never be off.

Or you could just power the phone off and swap batteries without all the hassle.

Or just keep a charger in your vehicle, and anywhere you'll have access to a free-to-use AC outlet.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    10-17-13 10:16 PM
    Introducing the new, semi-portable, BlackBerry Battery Aid. Never turn your phone off again.

Blackberry should build a capacitor in so you can swap batteries without rebooting-img_00000185.jpg
    10-17-13 10:35 PM
    However big the secondary battery will just take away space from the primary battery. Most people will rather have say a 12 hour battery rather than an 8 hour battery with the ability to hot swap. One of the main reasons from going from sim to micro sim to nano sim cards to to squeeze as much battery as possibly into the phone. Companies will not give up that precious space.
    10-17-13 10:43 PM
    Yes, then we can do a double battery pull to reboot. I kid.

I've never pulled my Z10 battery.
    How much bulk would it add to a light,small thin mobile device?
    10-17-13 10:57 PM
    You'd want a small battery rather than a capacitor, the energy density of capacitors just isn't high enough. The old Mac Powerbooks used to be able to hot-swap their batteries using the internal PRAM battery to keep things alive for a minute or two. I like the idea but for a manufacturer to include it is kind of admitting that the battery life of the phone isn't that great, which I'm sure isn't how they want to pitch it.
    anon(4018671) likes this.
    10-17-13 10:59 PM
    [QUOTE=Mister Xiado;9349744]Capacitors explode easily, especially the electrolytic varieties. Not normally when being discharged, though.

exactly...and more to my point that "exploding" results in near zero damage to surrounding objects or people. its more of a self destructive process....grrrrr thunderbuck makes it sound like they are dangerous. ****! batteries explode too smh

@travisredpath ever make a rail gun with dem puppies? lol
    10-17-13 11:22 PM
    ever make a rail gun with dem puppies? lol
    Actually, either a gauss gun or a rail gun was the thought when I bought them but I never got around to it. You'd probably want them to discharge a little slower than that though in order to keep your phone running (and not a flaming wreckage).
    10-18-13 02:16 AM
    [QUOTE=dentynefire;9350009]
    Capacitors explode easily, especially the electrolytic varieties. Not normally when being discharged, though.

exactly...and more to my point that "exploding" results in near zero damage to surrounding objects or people. its more of a self destructive process....grrrrr thunderbuck makes it sound like they are dangerous. ****! batteries explode too smh

@travisredpath ever make a rail gun with dem puppies? lol
    Capacitor failure can absolutely result in explosions and fires. Even failing that ( and I'll grant that the ones we'd be looking at in this application would be low risk), there's always the potential for shorting and catastrophic damage from the discharge.

Water damage, for instance, is actually repairable in many instances, but if a cap discharges the instant the phone gets wet and fries the mobo, there's zero chance at all.

From the awesome PHYSICAL keyboard of my Q10
    10-22-13 10:42 AM
    Introducing the new, semi-portable, BlackBerry Battery Aid. Never turn your phone off again.
    And bundle it up like this with some advertising
    Blackberry should build a capacitor in so you can swap batteries without rebooting-img_00002106.jpg

Posted via CB10
    10-22-13 05:28 PM
    How many gigawatts should it be? About 1.21?
    Yup but you'll need a Flux Capacitor to achieve time travel to 1985!

Anyone have a DeLorean DMC-12? Lol!

From my Z10 to YOU, BOO-YAH!
    10-22-13 09:00 PM
    That is a great idea. Question : anyone tried to use the phone without a battery? Plugged in? Would that work?

Posted via CB10
    I have tried. It works for good amount of time to allow battery replacement. It needs be connected to USB port or Power source during this swap operation.

Posted via CB10
    10-22-13 10:00 PM
    This is a pretty good idea

Posted via CB10
    10-22-13 10:37 PM