I felt I have to post something about an issue I feel very strongly about. Right now we are at the mercy of the carriers for our major OS10 updates.

I would like to see Blackberry set up something like Apple has by porting out OS10 updates to all the devices via BB link and let the carriers control the small updates that are required for the hardware to communicate on their associated networks.

This would at least let the BB users get the major updates with the OS updates and bug fixes at the same time and we would not be at the mercy of our carriers. Apple currently does it with all their carriers, why can't Blackberry? Just my thoughts.
    05-23-13 04:20 PM
    Quite sure that was their original plan, but do keep in mind that BlackBerry isn't as strong a it once was and even then, their deal with carriers about OS updates was just like this.

As BB10 gains traction, I do hope (and expect) that it will become just as you described.
    05-23-13 04:44 PM
    Quite sure that was their original plan, but do keep in mind that BlackBerry isn't as strong a it once was and even then, their deal with carriers about OS updates was just like this.

As BB10 gains traction, I do hope (and expect) that it will become just as you described.
    I valid point, but my main concern is now that Blackberry has passed the warranty and update issues onto the carrier, what happens when the associated carriers sales numbers fall and decides to limit their commitment to Blackberry? What then?
    05-23-13 05:20 PM
    I remember when my son got his first iPhone (AT&T, of course) and being charged $5k for data usage while in Paris (he didn't even have an email account). AT&T -- after lying through their teeth -- ended up eating it. Because Apple had a financial stake in the carrier's subscriptions with customers, every time they did an OTA update they would relock the phone (making it impossible to use a local SIM while traveling, of course). This ended up in court as an anti-trust action. Restraint of trade. They were also accused of re-activating "data roaming" on phones when they did their OTA updates. (I can't say personally). Apple, of course, has the moral scruples of a rabid Coyote, and even presuming BBerry does not, the idea of a single entity controlling completely the OTA on a device leaves me cold.
    05-23-13 05:34 PM