Does the Z10 have BB protect? Has anyone tried restore the info to their Z10 using protect? i.e bbm contacts, saved text messages etc
    02-06-13 02:40 PM
    Yes it has BB Protect. It is built into the settings menu however it doesn't appear to have a backup/restore option, only an option to secure and find your device.
    02-06-13 02:49 PM
    Sounds like blackberry link is the only way to go
    02-06-13 09:34 PM
    It gives you an option to transfer devices via sd card. Its in Setup > Make It Your Own > Device Switch and then follow the instructions. My friend used it to transfer from his 9860 to the Z10 because he was having issues with Link and one of his email accounts. Link worked like a charm for me except for my Contacts lol that I'm still working on the best way to do it. It pulled it some of my contacts from my email account but not all, don't ask lol
    02-07-13 12:04 PM
    Blackberry Protect seems no longer to have any option to back up or restore any data. It allows you to find, wipe and lock the device - but that's it. On checking the Blackberry Protect website and clicking on data it says:
    "Hello, Nice to see you
    Your BlackBerry 10 device currently makes use of the BlackBerry Desktop Manager for Backup and Restore options."

Another useful feature removed in the name of progress. The Z10 is looking increasingly like a novelty toy than a serious Blackberry.
    02-07-13 05:45 PM
    Yeah, I agree. While I will be keeping my Z10 and hoping that the platform improves, it really does seem that despite the marketing hype, all the actual BlackBerry DNA has been completely stripped out of the platform in favor of looking pretty. If I wanted that I would have bought an iPhone in 2007. I need Bedside mode to work like it did. I need BlackBerry Protect to be a cloud backup solution like it was. I need Bridge to have all the functionality that it had..... I get that it's a new platform and that it takes time to mature, but I'm definitely feeling like I gave up a reasonably attractive chick with a ton of brains for a beautiful girl that has a for rent sign between her ears.
    jaydavidson and Fnen90 like this.
    02-07-13 06:30 PM
    damn that really blows. Under transfer device option, does that include transferring my text messages? That's all i really want to transfer lol.
    02-12-13 11:45 AM
    i couldnt have said it better myself.
    02-12-13 11:40 PM
    Yeah I believe I found that a bit disappointing too. Hope an update will bring that feature to bb10...
    02-12-13 11:44 PM
    BlackBerry Protect better be brought back to actually update contacts, notes and calendar. I have no use in using Link. The last time I connected my torch to my computer to back it up is the day blackberry protect became available. Now a year later I have to connect my Z10 to my computer to back things up

Come on, that sucks
    crimsonking likes this.
    03-02-13 06:11 AM
    i got the z10 a couple of weeks ago and wasn't able to restore my contacts via bb link.
    i found a way to over come this issue, it's a bit long but it worked.
    1. sync your contacts on your old bb to your outlook on your laptop
    2. export the contacts from your outlook to your desktop as excel sheet
    3. open your gmail on you laptop and go to contacts
    4. import the excel sheet from you desktop to your gmail contacts
    5. creat gmail account on your bb z10 and sync the contacts
    03-02-13 06:53 AM
    how can i backup my z10? every time i try to backup my z10 via bb link, a messege appears saying that i am not signed in to my bb id... but i am :-(
    pls advice how can i back up my z10
    03-02-13 06:58 AM
    Well I tweeted blackberry and after its a waiting game on if they'll answer me or not. On blackberry protect getting back up and restore back on protect.

Posted via microwave.
    03-02-13 07:11 AM
    Well I tweeted blackberry and after its a waiting game on if they'll answer me or not. On blackberry protect getting back up and restore back on protect.

Posted via microwave.
    I wouldn't count on it any time soon. In some ways the BB 10 reboot of BlackBerry has them starting over from scratch in a bad way. Loss of BIS and BlackBerry Protect only for finding the phone not cloud back up is one of them. Hope they come up with some first party solution or buy just Dropbox. Link is terrible.
    03-02-13 07:43 AM
    While I'm disappointed as well, this is of of those things that I am sure they will introduce in an update in the near future. They were the ones to introduce these features first back in the day.

Posted via CB10
    03-02-13 07:57 AM
    I'm in line with the folks here. It seems only half of my contacts were migrated over using Link. Perhaps Link is the software that needs to be updated.
    03-02-13 07:25 PM
    Found a cure until BB Protect is restored (punn intended) to its former glory. I use gMail but it should work with whatever email account you wish to use. It took only about five minutes for me:

1. sync your contacts on your old bb to your outlook on your laptop/computer
    2. export the contacts from your outlook to your desktop as excel sheet
    3. open your gmail on you laptop/computer and go to contacts
    4. import the excel sheet from you desktop to your gmail contacts
    5. creat gmail account on your bb z10 (if you haven't done so yet) and sync the contacts

Depending on how frequently your gMail account is set to sync, it should update with the information relatively quickly... or you can delete and recreate your gMail account on your Z10 (that was faster for me)
    03-02-13 08:08 PM
    BlackBerry Protect better be brought back to actually update contacts, notes and calendar. I have no use in using Link. The last time I connected my torch to my computer to back it up is the day blackberry protect became available. Now a year later I have to connect my Z10 to my computer to back things up

Come on, that sucks
    Totally agree with you, protect works like a charm on OS7.
    03-21-13 03:13 AM
    It gives you an option to transfer devices via sd card. Its in Setup > Make It Your Own > Device Switch and then follow the instructions. My friend used it to transfer from his 9860 to the Z10 because he was having issues with Link and one of his email accounts. Link worked like a charm for me except for my Contacts lol that I'm still working on the best way to do it. It pulled it some of my contacts from my email account but not all, don't ask lol
    You can transfer your contacts from one device to another through blue tooth. Press the menu key from the old device. Select blue tooth. Pair it with your new device and select the transfer your contacts option.
    jamesharmeling likes this.
    03-21-13 05:16 AM
    You can transfer your contacts from one device to another through blue tooth. Press the menu key from the old device. Select blue tooth. Pair it with your new device and select the transfer your contacts option.
    That's the best contacts solution I've seen. Can't they also do it at the carrier store for us?

My big thing is Password Keeper. I've been told that BB Link will transfer that data? True?
    03-21-13 05:48 AM
    Used BB Link yesterday when I got my Z10 and my Password Keeper data transferred. Password Keeper wasn't on the device though, so I had to get it from BB World. But it imported the transferred records nicely.
    03-27-13 10:40 AM
    Used BB Link yesterday when I got my Z10 and my Password Keeper data transferred. Password Keeper wasn't on the device though, so I had to get it from BB World. But it imported the transferred records nicely.
    This makes me very happy and has eliminated a ton of stress from my head.
    03-27-13 08:16 PM
    Yeah, I agree. While I will be keeping my Z10 and hoping that the platform improves, it really does seem that despite the marketing hype, all the actual BlackBerry DNA has been completely stripped out of the platform in favor of looking pretty. If I wanted that I would have bought an iPhone in 2007. I need Bedside mode to work like it did. I need BlackBerry Protect to be a cloud backup solution like it was. I need Bridge to have all the functionality that it had..... I get that it's a new platform and that it takes time to mature, but I'm definitely feeling like I gave up a reasonably attractive chick with a ton of brains for a beautiful girl that has a for rent sign between her ears.
    I have the exact same gripe.
    Disappointing that BB would do away with such a necessary, well thought out set of features.
    04-13-13 12:43 PM
    I just realized it's missing cos I wanted to do a wireless backup like what I did in the past with my Bold 9900
    05-01-13 02:36 AM
    There is no cloud back up yet. I am sure it will come its just not ready yet

Posted from my LE Zed10
    05-01-13 02:39 AM