I have my BB Protect setup just the way I want it. But, let's say somebody steals my Z10, inserts his SIM card and of course doesn't know my BBID. Can BB Protect locate my phone under such conditions? Or even if he don't have internet connection setup on phone?
    Even worse scenario would be with OS10> BB's if thief doesn't have BIS you cannot find your phone.
    Or did I get it all wrong?
    10-08-13 06:51 AM
    Protect has failed me twice. I lost a z10 and protect wasn't able to locate/lock/wipe the device because the Sim had been taken out. I also had a curve(9315) stolen from my house during a burglary, and even with the Sim still in the phone, protect failed to make contact with the device.

Posted via CB10
    10-08-13 07:00 AM
    It will allow you to wipe your phone. And, of course, you can see where it is. But it has to find it. Which means it has to be on wifi or cell. And running your SIM. The best way to protect your phone is to put a device lock in place (phone is wiped after ten bad tries) and a SIM lock (SIM killed after three bad tries). Then call your carrier and report the IMEI (and PIN?) stolen to now block the phone from ever being used.
    David in Durham and stlabrat like this.
    10-08-13 07:04 AM
    I bought a Bold 9860 last summer and lost it in a car accident close to Xmas. Somebody at the scene stole it. Needless to say BlackBerry Protect wasn't able to find my phone bcos it was not connected to a mobile network or wifi, but I was able to get everything from the 9860 to my Bold 9900 since I backed up everything with it.
    On BB10 BlackBerry Protect seems to not be the case, kinda like what BlackBerry bridge was until this recent update

Posted via CB10
    10-08-13 07:26 AM
    So verdict is: BlackBerry Protect is useless. Except that you can maybe get your data back. Is there any other way (app) to locate stolen or lost phone?
    I'm asking myself why the f**k did they made it? Just so I can find out where am I while phone is in my property. Stupid, very stupid. It is supposed to help you retreive your lost/stolen phone and it doesn't do that... WTF is wrong with BB people? Of course that first thing thief is going to do is put new (his) sim card into phone.
    Data wipe after 10 wrong passwords - useless (at least for me) because I don't have any "Top Secret" files on my phone. And for everything else there is backup. I want my DEVICE that I paid with my blood, sweat and tears earned money.
    Edit: BTW, every android phone have antivirus/anti-theft app, that can help you locate device itself. I've installed couple of those to my friends.
    10-08-13 07:55 AM
    Just report your IMEI and your PIN to your carrier and the thief will not be able to use your phone. Or, as someone said, put a pass code on it. Even if they do put in a different sim, they won't be able to use your phone. You don't need Top Secret files, all you need to do is keep someone from using it and getting your info.

Not every thief knows about changing the sim card. So to say Protect is useless is overstatement. It will find your device if someone tries to use it as is. It does allow you to retrieve info stored on your phone. You can remotely disable it.

There may be an app that does what you want. But I would take personal responsibility to make sure that it has a password to help foil dishonest people.

Posted via CB10 via my Z10
    10-08-13 10:00 AM
    REMEMBER: putting a pass word on your phone will only cause your data to be wiped. However, the phone is then fully functional. You must report IMEI/PIN to carrier to kill the phone itself. Which will immediately be sold to a victim on ebay.
    10-08-13 10:23 AM
    Edit: BTW, every android phone have antivirus/anti-theft app, that can help you locate device itself. I've installed couple of those to my friends.
    Tell me, how does that work if the first thing I do is take out the sim and wipe the ROM?

Posted via CB10
    10-08-13 10:33 AM
    So verdict is: BlackBerry Protect is useless. Except that you can maybe get your data back. Is there any other way (app) to locate stolen or lost phone?
    I'm asking myself why the f**k did they made it? Just so I can find out where am I while phone is in my property. Stupid, very stupid. It is supposed to help you retreive your lost/stolen phone and it doesn't do that... WTF is wrong with BB people? Of course that first thing thief is going to do is put new (his) sim card into phone.
    Data wipe after 10 wrong passwords - useless (at least for me) because I don't have any "Top Secret" files on my phone. And for everything else there is backup. I want my DEVICE that I paid with my blood, sweat and tears earned money.
    The android apps work with the phone out of wifi and data network? How do they do that?
    10-08-13 10:39 AM
    There is no device I can think of with a "location" system that will work with the SIM gone. And, since I value my life more than my (insured) phone, I'm not going vigilante to get it back. Unlike that kid in the news recently who tracked his phone and got killed for his efforts.
    Chris Chin likes this.
    10-08-13 12:36 PM
    I think you need to understand what you are asking first before you go any further. What you are asking is for a way to retrieve your device if it has been taken out of service. How exactly do you anticipate (technically) that you can locate a remote object that is not connected to a network? Even professional grade telematics devices used for asset tracking and monitoring require an active network connection of some sort even if it is just a GPS signal. Certainly no consumer mobile device has this ability, regardless of the app or the platform. If you lose your Android with *any* app, I can still wipe your device then run it as my own. The only true way to prevent the user from using it is to report the device as stolen. Otherwise, if I disable the GPS and the device is wiped there is no hope you will ever find it.
    10-08-13 02:14 PM
    The android apps work with the phone out of wifi and data network? How do they do that?
    They don't. What he said makes no sense at all. At the very minimum you need an active GPS signal.
    10-08-13 02:16 PM
    In my country when you give IMEI and/or PIN to your carrier and report phone stolen, they don't do anything. That's it. You can go to police, but they also won't actively search it. If it comes out in some arrest or some raid, they will give it back to you.
    Let me explain how this on android devices work. You install program, program is than set as device administrator thus forbidding uninstalling that program unless you know password. First time somebody inserts SIM card other than yours, you get sms on number you provided (friend or family). Here, SIM cards come with pre"installed" network parameters, so as soon somebody inserts sim card, he is online. Program (anti theft) keeps GPS running in background, so you can locate your phone, assuming that phone is ON and that you have any sort of internet connection.
    Is there anything like that for BBZ10?
    10-08-13 02:34 PM
    Any thief with half a brain, and that's probably all they have given that they're a thief, would pull the battery as soon as possible. I guess that's a plus for a sealed battery although they could still turn the phone off if they know what they're doing.

9700 > 9900 > Z10 STL100-3/10.1.0.4633
    Pegon_Fighter likes this.
    10-08-13 02:38 PM
    I think you need to understand what you are asking first before you go any further. What you are asking is for a way to retrieve your device if it has been taken out of service. How exactly do you anticipate (technically) that you can locate a remote object that is not connected to a network? Even professional grade telematics devices used for asset tracking and monitoring require an active network connection of some sort even if it is just a GPS signal. Certainly no consumer mobile device has this ability, regardless of the app or the platform. If you lose your Android with *any* app, I can still wipe your device then run it as my own. The only true way to prevent the user from using it is to report the device as stolen. Otherwise, if I disable the GPS and the device is wiped there is no hope you will ever find it.
    Dude... lojack it... Just rip that bad boy off yer car, slap it on the back of the case, run a wire to the battery, boom. done!

next. ;P
    Mack Gans and newcollector like this.
    10-08-13 02:41 PM
    Dude... lojack it... Just rip that bad boy off yer car, slap it on the back of the case, run a wire to the battery, boom. done!

next. ;P
    Awesome!
    paper_monkey likes this.
    10-08-13 02:43 PM
    The bb7 protect was much much better

Posted via CB10
    FF22 and qwerty4ever like this.
    10-08-13 03:46 PM
    It will allow you to wipe your phone. And, of course, you can see where it is. But it has to find it. Which means it has to be on wifi or cell. And running your SIM. The best way to protect your phone is to put a device lock in place (phone is wiped after ten bad tries) and a SIM lock (SIM killed after three bad tries). Then call your carrier and report the IMEI (and PIN?) stolen to now block the phone from ever being used.
    ^THIS! Always follow these steps.

From my Z10 to YOU, BOO-YAH!
    10-08-13 03:48 PM
    In my country when you give IMEI and/or PIN to your carrier and report phone stolen, they don't do anything. That's it. You can go to police, but they also won't actively search it. If it comes out in some arrest or some raid, they will give it back to you.
    Let me explain how this on android devices work. You install program, program is than set as device administrator thus forbidding uninstalling that program unless you know password. First time somebody inserts SIM card other than yours, you get sms on number you provided (friend or family). Here, SIM cards come with pre"installed" network parameters, so as soon somebody inserts sim card, he is online. Program (anti theft) keeps GPS running in background, so you can locate your phone, assuming that phone is ON and that you have any sort of internet connection.
    Is there anything like that for BBZ10?
    Yah it's called blackberry protect. App admin rights mean nothing when the device gets wiped. Think about that.

Posted via CB10
    10-08-13 04:01 PM
    I know... So IMHO, Blackberry protect is useless in case of stolen phone. If you lost it, it's ok, but if get's stolen bye-bye Z10.
    10-08-13 04:26 PM
    Useless on z10. Take out sim and it's done. It's times like that I wish they had the sim in a hard to reach spot/require some code to remove anything.

No backup no restore

Posted via CB10
    10-08-13 08:08 PM
    BlackBerry Protect had worked for me before.

Just wondering if the issues you guys described is the same across all mobiles? Aka unable to locate th phone if they are not connected to a network... ?

Posted via CB10
    10-08-13 08:15 PM
    Besides the "find my phone type stuff", as noted above, BB has crippled BB Protect like they crippled Bridge in the new devices. In the past you could backup and restore data using Protect. That very handy function is GONE. Why? Wild speculation - they knew they were in trouble and did not want more stuff on their servers!! Bis gone, Protect - yech!
    10-08-13 09:02 PM
    Useless on z10. Take out sim and it's done. It's times like that I wish they had the sim in a hard to reach spot/require some code to remove anything.

No backup no restore
    My toughts exactly. Utterly useless. Only way you can use it is if you actually misplace your phone and than to locate/find it. If it's stolen. bye-bye Z10
    10-09-13 04:03 AM
    BlackBerry Protect had worked for me before.

Just wondering if the issues you guys described is the same across all mobiles? Aka unable to locate th phone if they are not connected to a network... ?
    Android if not wiped/factory resetted and network connected (even with other SIM) can be located.
    Any law enforcement agency CAN locate specific phone, even without sim in it. But you and me, average Joe are not worth the trouble. Try becoming a terrorist and see how much time do they need to trace your phone...
    10-09-13 04:06 AM
57 123