Maybe I'm unaware of this being a feature already but I'd like to see BlackBerry Protect be able to force the GPS on so I don't have to have it on 24/7. It kills battery leaving it on all the time. I'd like to turn it off and in the case of me losing my phone I'd like to force it on so it can be located. Anyone else think the same as me or am I missing something? Does location services turn itself off when nothing is looking for your location?

Posted via CB10
    05-09-13 02:01 PM
    I don't think the GPS is actually active unless the location icon (looks like an arrowhead pointing down with a rounded back) is showing in the status bar at the top of the page. Maybe it is, but I haven't really noticed much difference in battery life with location services turned off.

Posted via CB10 & loving it!
    Mjackson38 likes this.
    05-09-13 02:09 PM
    You don't need for leave your GPS on. I allow the BlackBerry Protect permission to use location services and I'm able to track my phone. Just tried it now and it works fine. I suspect the service will communicate to your phone via the network and turn on the GPS Briefly to locate your phones location.

Posted via CB10
    05-09-13 02:20 PM
    I have not seen the location service running unless I am actively using an application that is using GPS.
    00stryder likes this.
    05-09-13 02:22 PM
    Thank you for this information!
    05-09-13 02:39 PM
    I've never seen the icon at the top unless an app was actively using it. But I wanna know if it constantly updates your location in the background so that apps work faster when opened such as Maps or Facebook check-in. Can anyone confirm one way or the other?

Also I just checked BlackBerry Protect and it says right in the app that LS must be on I order for the device to appear on a map. Are you sure you turned off LS and could still see your phone's location?

Posted via CB10
    05-09-13 02:55 PM
    I'm still getting over 50 hours use on a single charge regardless if the location services are on or completely disabled. Maybe something else is or the carrier settings are causing the drain with services on. I'm on Telus in Ontario and it makes no difference to my battery life.

Posted via CB10
    05-09-13 02:58 PM
    I don't even see an option anywhere to set BlackBerry Protect's permissions. Where are you looking?

Posted via CB10
    05-09-13 03:17 PM
    The location services are on but the icon was not present. When I go to the BlackBerry Protect site and locate my device the icon turns on and turns it self off when i'm done with bb protect. If the icon is constantly on I suspect another app is keeping the services on.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by flacko; 05-09-13 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Z10 prematurely sends my post before I am done with my edits
    05-09-13 03:19 PM
    I'm still getting over 50 hours use on a single charge regardless if the location services are on or completely disabled. Maybe something else is or the carrier settings are causing the drain with services on. I'm on Telus in Ontario and it makes no difference to my battery life.

Posted via CB10
    50 Hours? WOW... How long have you had the phone? How did you achieve that? I get 16 hrs at most
    05-09-13 03:25 PM
    No, the icon isn't constantly visible. It's only there when an app is using it. You said you turned off LS and it still worked which is a lie. Never mind. I guess no one can tell me for sure if it's always searching or only when it needs to. Thanks for all the replies though, people.
    05-09-13 03:31 PM
    Not a lie. I could have phrased it better. I'm at work and my concentration was divided. I was going to edit it before posting but when I went to hit the back button on my Z10 I hit the return button by accident and it was posted. This happened on all three of my posts today. The last time I tried to hit the period and hit the enter key by accident again. Have to be more careful about that. Sorry for the confusion.

I turned off the gestures on the lock screen and my battery life is much improved. I've had the Z10 from day one.

Posted via CB10
    05-09-13 03:41 PM
    Going to do a reboot now. My keyboard is messed up!

Posted via CB10
    05-09-13 03:43 PM
    Not a lie. I could have phrased it better. I'm at work and my concentration was divided. I was going to edit it before posting but when I went to hit the back button on my Z10 I hit the return button by accident and it was posted. This happened on all three of my posts today. The last time I tried to hit the period and hit the enter key by accident again. Have to be more careful about that. Sorry for the confusion.

I turned off the gestures on the lock screen and my battery life is much improved. I've had the Z10 from day one.

Posted via CB10
    I can relate to hitting the Send/Enter key as opposed to the Period key! Was trying to send my son a picture in a text message and of course the only thing that was sent was "Love you." Don't know what happened to my pic nor the rest of the text message, but his reply was so endearing.."love you too mom, is everything okay or are you still trying to get familiar with your phone." Gotta love your kids!
    05-09-13 03:50 PM
    Glad I'm not alone. The return key shouldn't do that and normally doesn't in the CB app when posting. My fingers were no where near the post button on the top of the screen. Just don't know!

Posted via CB10
    05-09-13 04:04 PM
    Glad I'm not alone. The return key shouldn't do that and normally doesn't in the CB app when posting. My fingers were no where near the post button on the top of the screen. Just don't know!

Posted via CB10
    Perhaps I need to get more familiar with the CB10 app as I think I have given out "thanks" and "likes" while trying to move to the end of a post! I'm not sure but there's always the possibility that I need new glasses! So most times, I use either my laptop or PlayBook rather than the CB10 app on my Z10, but I confess I do need more practice on my phone without disrupting the forum.
    05-09-13 04:10 PM
    Try logging into the site and you will see this message:

"To view your device's location, you must turn on location services in the BlackBerry 10 device settings, or location reporting in the Protect app options. Your device must also be turned on and connected to the wireless network. "
    05-09-13 04:44 PM
    That's what I just said. Oh forget it.

Posted via CB10
    05-09-13 05:30 PM
    Thanks to all. I understand the workings!
    05-09-13 05:35 PM
    50 Hours? WOW... How long have you had the phone? How did you achieve that? I get 16 hrs at most
    50 hours on standby? Hahahahahahaha

Sent from my WhiteBerry Z10
    05-09-13 06:44 PM
    Yes over 2 days with light usage! 9 hours a day on LTE (while at work) the remaining time on wifi.

Posted via CB10
    05-09-13 11:27 PM