01-14-13 03:28 AM
    I translated the article for you guys:

We already assumed that the German Telekom will offer BlackBerry 10. A reliable source gave us another hint, saying that the Telekom will get BlackBerry 10 devices with the name "Liverpool" in stock.

The time frame they will start to offer these devices is not determined yet. We assume it to be February/March 2013.

As we heard from business groups in the know, T-Mobile will eventually offer BlackBerry 10. They are already using the BlackBerry "Liverpool" in preparation to do so.

The following specs are known about "Liverpool":
    * 4.2" full touch display
    * 1.5 GHz dual core cpu
    * 16 GB storage
    * SD card slot
    * 8 mega pixel camera
    * HSDPA 21 MBit/s + HSUPA 5..76 MBit/s
    * NFC
    * HDMI
    * fingerprint sensor (!)

A fingerprint sensor was not mentioned in any of the leaks so far. We suppose that you can securely unlock your device without an password by using the sensor. Also this device will not have LTE capabilities, we heard from a source close to RIM that a LTE capable devices are planned for Germany.
    01-14-13 03:44 AM
    I would suspect that the fingerprint sensor is a misunderstanding and given that all of the main three german networks have launched lte they will actually support it.

One thing to consider, we know about various l-series code names and haven't heard about Liverpool before, so maybe it is the one for RoW GSM/LTE.
    01-14-13 05:53 AM
    A fingerprint sensor would be a great feature for BB10 devices, but I've not seen or heard anything that indicates fingerprint sensors are coming soon.

With BlackBerry JavaOS 5.0+ there are APIs for biometric data, but nothing like this can be found on OS 10...
    FingerprintBiometricData (BlackBerry JDE 5.0.0 API Reference)
    01-14-13 06:24 AM
    it would be great if instead of password unlock, after you swipe up from the lock screen, you simply have to place your finger for fingerprint recognition on the screen and the phone unlocks!
    01-14-13 06:32 AM
    Perhaps what they really mean is the heat-sensor used for the keyboard mapping that has been spoken about in interview videos...
    Last edited by dscsayers; 01-14-13 at 12:24 PM. Reason: typo x 2
    01-14-13 09:51 AM
    Perhaps what they really mean is the heat-senor used for the keyboard mapping that has been spoken about in interview videos...
    That would definitely make more sense.
    01-14-13 11:36 AM
    Biometric fingerprint is becoming big. I've seen these fugly cases for iPhones that iPads, that in addition to adding a large amount of bulk to the device, also provide biometric access to the devices. I'm sure RIM has some government customers asking them for a phone with this functionality built in.
    01-14-13 12:28 PM
    it would be great if instead of password unlock, after you swipe up from the lock screen, you simply have to place your finger for fingerprint recognition on the screen and the phone unlocks!
    Definition and resolution of current touch screen hardware is several orders of magnitude below fingerprint recognition capability. Why do you think all the mobile fingerprint terminals have big clunky *optical* scanner devices attached?
    01-14-13 12:35 PM
    Definition and resolution of current touch screen hardware is several orders of magnitude below fingerprint recognition capability. Why do you think all the mobile fingerprint terminals have big clunky *optical* scanner devices attached?
    Big, clunky scanners like the one in the Atrix 4G?

amjass12 and shupor like this.
    01-14-13 12:53 PM
    would love to hove this! A lot harder to lose a finger than a password lol The older Atrix also had this and works great. The only problem I see is that law enforcement can easily compel you to unlock via biometric scan where its alway "possible" that you forgot your password. Now this isn't something I personally care about but in some places I feel police overstep their authority to download "all" your personal info. I think its unreasonable so I have mixed feelings even though the convenience is great.
    01-14-13 07:44 PM
    WooHoo, this would be great. Heck,...I still have the original Moto Atrix!,....and I think that finger print reader is really 'bout it 'bout it!
    01-14-13 08:02 PM
    would love to hove this! A lot harder to lose a finger than a password lol The older Atrix also had this and works great. The only problem I see is that law enforcement can easily compel you to unlock via biometric scan where its alway "possible" that you forgot your password. Now this isn't something I personally care about but in some places I feel police overstep their authority to download "all" your personal info. I think its unreasonable so I have mixed feelings even though the convenience is great.
    How often do you have such experiences with law enforcement?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    01-14-13 11:52 PM
    I couldn't trust a fingerprint scanner what if my fingers got burnt and I couldn't use my phone anymore
    01-15-13 01:29 AM
    01-16-13 09:25 AM
    One thing to consider, we know about various l-series code names and haven't heard about Liverpool before, so maybe it is the one for RoW GSM/LTE.
    Not heard it before but it seems like it could be legit BlackBerry L-Series detailed in official RIM document | News | TechRadar

Gordon
    01-16-13 03:21 PM
    Not heard it before but it seems like it could be legit BlackBerry L-Series detailed in official RIM document | News | TechRadar

Gordon
    Nothing in that article says there could be a fingerprint reader.....
    Sukhraj Singh likes this.
    01-16-13 05:40 PM
    I'd take this leak with a grain of salt.. first time we've heard about this, and not from a well known source.. but it would certainly be awesome if it turns out to be true!

...The only problem I see is that law enforcement can easily compel you to unlock via biometric scan where its alway "possible" that you forgot your password. Now this isn't something I personally care about but in some places I feel police overstep their authority to download "all" your personal info. I think its unreasonable so I have mixed feelings even though the convenience is great.
    This is something that definitely would not be a factor for me, but if you lived in such a place you could easily just not setup the finger print reader on your device.

I couldn't trust a fingerprint scanner what if my fingers got burnt and I couldn't use my phone anymore
    There would always be a password or pin backup if the finger print reader didn't work for whatever reason.
    01-16-13 05:50 PM
    I'd take this leak with a grain of salt.. first time we've heard about this, and not from a well known source.. but it would certainly be awesome if it turns out to be true!

This is something that definitely would not be a factor for me, but if you lived in such a place you could easily just not setup the finger print reader on your device.
    Indeed it would not be a factor for me, but I have grown so accustomed to my fingerprint reader on my laptop I get annoyed having to type in passwords to login to the computer at school, etc.
    It's just easier, faster and also more secure.

I also don't see this happening since we've seen nothing that points towards this but it would be cool to go up to my friends and say, "Can your (GS3, iPhone, etc) do this?"
    The only ones that could say "yes" would be anyone with an atrix, but then you'll go on to show them the Hub, Flow and the fact that your phone is much faster.
    01-16-13 06:35 PM
    Indeed it would not be a factor for me, but I have grown so accustomed to my fingerprint reader on my laptop I get annoyed having to type in passwords to login to the computer at school, etc.
    It's just easier, faster and also more secure.

I also don't see this happening since we've seen nothing that points towards this but it would be cool to go up to my friends and say, "Can your (GS3, iPhone, etc) do this?"
    The only ones that could say "yes" would be anyone with an atrix, but then you'll go on to show them the Hub, Flow and the fact that your phone is much faster.
    Not neccesarily more secure, but would be extremely secure if used in combination with a password. (And this would alleviate the need to constantly change passwords)
    01-16-13 07:19 PM
    This might be one of the surprises left to unveil when the phone is launched? Think about it. Was never talked about, never shown in any leaks? At least to my knowledge it has not. Pure speculation here folks
    01-16-13 08:08 PM
    Not neccesarily more secure, but would be extremely secure if used in combination with a password. (And this would alleviate the need to constantly change passwords)
    I guess in some ways it's less secure and in others it's more secure.
    It's more secure in the sense that you never have to enter your password or worry about someone looking over your shoulders and seeing you enter your pin or your patter lock. A pin is something that people can try and guess whereas you can't guess a fingerprint. Also, if a company forces users to use a password, some people might write it down or use something trivial. If you use a fingerprint reader, nothing to remember, nothing to type out and risk others watching you, just swipe and go. (actually works perfect with the rest of BB10, "Swipe" )

And I guess it's less secure as someone was mentioning, that someone can use your finger or force you to unlock your phone. (though I don't really see that as being such a big issue unless you were being interrogated and your phone had top secret info, lol)

Perhaps there might be some hardware exploit that could be done to the internals to the fingerprint reader or what not, but I'm not familiar with things like that so I can't comment.
    01-16-13 09:06 PM
    And I guess it's less secure as someone was mentioning, that someone can use your finger or force you to unlock your phone. (though I don't really see that as being such a big issue unless you were being interrogated and your phone had top secret info, lol)

Perhaps there might be some hardware exploit that could be done to the internals to the fingerprint reader or what not, but I'm not familiar with things like that so I can't comment.
    The readers aren't very sophisticated. All you need is someone's fingerprint (off a glass or similar) and the patience to melt some gummy bears into a mold of the finger. See Sweet bypass for student finger scanner | ZDNet for example. Anything you could put on a phone would be very much "entry level".
    01-17-13 02:36 AM
    The readers aren't very sophisticated. All you need is someone's fingerprint (off a glass or similar) and the patience to melt some gummy bears into a mold of the finger. See Sweet bypass for student finger scanner | ZDNet for example. Anything you could put on a phone would be very much "entry level".
    I think we are grasping at straws here.. it would be MORE then secure enough for any average consumer, or corporate user for that matter.. maybe some top level government users would be told to stick to their 12 digits passwords with weekly re-write protocols..

99% of us use a password on our device so our significant other can't peek at out text messages.. our buddy's can't change out bbm status to "i like c0ck".. or if we should loose the phone someone isn't going through my contacts and calendars.. my wife isn't james bond melting gummy bears and stealing my finger print off a glass.. my buddy's certainly aren't that brite, and if the criminal master mind who finds my phone on the street really wants to go through that much trouble.. I guess he can give grandma a call.. she's probably lonely anyway.. truth is I don't call often enough.
    curvezzz likes this.
    01-17-13 07:28 AM
    . my wife isn't james bond melting gummy bears and stealing my finger print off a glass.
    lol, james bond melting gummy bears. yummy
    01-17-13 11:22 AM
26 12