Does anyone know FOR SURE what it indicates?

I'm on EE in the UK on a 4g plan.

About an hour ago the BlackBerry logo disappeared and it just showed 4G with full signal strength. I am not on wifi.

BBM stopped working, I have messages that will not send, i can't receive any either. However, data does work. I'm typing this right now from the CB10 app. Emails work, i can browse the Internet, everything apart from BBM.

I did a battery pull, still no blackberry icon, just 4G. But weirdly after I did that all my contacts in BBM disappeared. After 5 minutes they re populated, but the chat histories were empty apart from the last message I had sent to several contacts trying to test the service, which showed with the red hourglass icon next to them.

So two things, is anyone else having service issues with BBM today?

Secondly, does anyone have a definitive answer regarding what the BlackBerry icon next to the signal strength is supposed to indicate. There have been other threads on it, with all sorts of answers given, and a lot of people agreeing that it means you have data connection. That's not the case though. I have a data connection right now and running a test on speedtest.net in the browser shows speeds of 13.78mbps which is actually faster than usual.

Posted via CB10
    04-10-13 09:34 AM
    "YOU ARE CONNECTED TO THE BLACKBERRY SERVER"

for the z10 it basically mean that without this icon dont expect your bbm to work
    drydenshabsfan likes this.
    04-10-13 09:42 AM

for the z10 it basically mean that without this icon dont expect your bbm to work
    Thanks. So ONLY bbm is now reliant on a connection with the BlackBerry servers?

I have tried turning wifi on and when I do, the blackberry icon returns and bbm works, but as soon as I turn off wifi I'm left with only the 4G icon again with no bbm.

Posted via CB10
    04-10-13 09:49 AM
    As i replied in another thread, could be that EE are having network issues and only way to find out is by calling them and asking.

But yes the BB icon next to the wifi icon or your 4G icon means that you are connected to the BBM servers.

As for me?? im on vodafone here in the UK and my BBM works perfectly fine, can send and receive bbm messages.
    04-10-13 10:00 AM

Little off topic but love the avatar GO HABS GO
    BerryWizard likes this.
    04-10-13 10:13 AM
    Little off topic but love the avatar GO HABS GO
    I notice your username, are you from dryden ontario or was from there??. Reason im asking is because i lived in that small northern ontario town for a good 15 yrs of my life. Then ended up moving to Ottawa for a few yrs till i moved back to London UK.
    Miss that place so much, remember the summer days when me and my 2 brothers and my dad used to go out fishing on Wabigoon lake...ahhh those were the days, am planning on coming to Dryden to visit our old house on St Charles drive or was it street...my memory fails me at times but i remember the place very very well especially the moose on the side of the highway along with the big fish.

Sorry for going off topic but your username caught my eye.
    04-10-13 10:31 AM
    I notice your username, are you from dryden ontario or was from there??. Reason im asking is because i lived in that small northern ontario town for a good 15 yrs of my life. Then ended up moving to Ottawa for a few yrs till i moved back to London UK.
    Miss that place so much, remember the summer days when me and my 2 brothers and my dad used to go out fishing on Wabigoon lake...ahhh those were the days, am planning on coming to Dryden to visit our old house on St Charles drive or was it street...my memory fails me at times but i remember the place very very well especially the moose on the side of the highway along with the big fish.

Sorry for going off topic but your username caught my eye.
    No sorry not from Dryden been there but never lived there. I am a HUGE HABS fan and growing up Ken Dryden was my puck idol I even became a goalie because of him. I was a huge Bobby Orr fan before that but never a Booins fan lol.
    Spawn12 likes this.
    04-10-13 10:35 AM
    No sorry not from Dryden been there but never lived there. I am a HUGE HABS fan and growing up Ken Dryden was my puck idol I even became a goalie because of him. I was a huge Bobby Orr fan before that Booins fan lol.
    Ahh right thats cool lol.

Sorry for going OT OP....
    04-10-13 10:37 AM
    The BlackBerry icon means you are connected to the internet, either through WiFi or through your cellular carrier. Meaning that you can surf the web, receive email, and yes of course BBM. If you do not have it when connected one way or another you do not have access to the internet meaning none of the things I mentioned above will work for you. If it works on wifi just fine but not on your cellular network I would assume a carrier issue as someone stated above.

Posted via CB10
    04-10-13 10:54 AM
    You know that in the help function there is a description of the icons used by the system?

Posted via CB10
    04-10-13 10:56 AM
    Some people here are misinformed. The BlackBerry symbol ears you're connected to the BlackBerry servers. On legacy devices it meant all services on BlackBerry 10 it means BBM only.

Posted via CB10
    Vithulan L Nathan and BLu like this.
    04-10-13 11:00 AM
    The BlackBerry icon means you are connected to the internet, either through WiFi or through your cellular carrier. Meaning that you can surf the web, receive email, and yes of course BBM. If you do not have it when connected one way or another you do not have access to the internet meaning none of the things I mentioned above will work for you. If it works on wifi just fine but not on your cellular network I would assume a carrier issue as someone stated above.

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    04-10-13 11:04 AM

Posted via CB10
    This was why I started this thread, so many people have said it means different things. Rjkolo I now know it doesn't mean you have Internet access, as I don't have the BlackBerry icon but I have full access to and functionality of everything that requires the Internet (browsing, email, apps) but bbm doesn't work.

I've been on the phone with EE for half an hour troubleshooting it, they're not sure why it's not working. However they did say they are doing some work here in Manchester on their 4G network, making it a lot faster, but they're not sure why that should be affecting just my bbm. They are going to call me back later tonight once they have finished the work on the network to see if bbm is working again.

One strange thing, the tech support person I was talking to said the "BB10 services" had never been activated on my phone, even though I've had it for over two months now and everything has pretty much been working fine up until now. She activated it, but it's not made a difference to anything. I wonder what those services are for?

Posted via CB10
    04-10-13 11:11 AM
    BBM randomly started working again this evening, EE put it down to network issues.

Posted via CB10
    04-10-13 06:46 PM
    I'm from d Philippines and having the same problem. Bbm works perfectly on wifi but when I use mobile data, it will only work for 5-10 minutes then can't send anymore. All other data - related apps work. It can't be the fone coz I tried a different carrier's sim card and bbm worked perfect. I keep on calling my carrier and all they can do is report it to the "Concerned team". It's getting exhausting......

Posted via CB10
    04-22-13 03:09 AM
    Hi switmelody0109. Do you lose the BB logo when you are on mobile date? If yes, then there is something wrong with the line where it won't connect to the BB servers. All other functions should work though, as BBM only relies on the BB servers.
    04-22-13 03:29 AM
    The closest comparison I can think of is the wifi and signal icons in Android: they're Grey when connected, but turn blue (or green, on older devices) when you are connected to Google's servers.

The BlackBerry icon shows up when you're connected to BlackBerry's servers. You can still be online, but not connected to BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    04-22-13 04:11 AM
    BlackBerry icon = connection to the NOC. This includes BBM and push services that go through the NOC. It's not just BBM on BB10.

Posted via CB10
    04-22-13 08:22 AM