Hi, I'd just like to clarify what will happen with my BB Z10 in the new year. Will it definitely stop working and why? Why does my Z10 need to connect to BB when I use it for talk and text, and not only use my cell phone provider?

Thanks
    12-27-21 10:55 AM
    Hi, I'd just like to clarify what will happen with my BB Z10 in the new year. Will it definitely stop working and why? Why does my Z10 need to connect to BB when I use it for talk and text, and not only use my cell phone provider?

Thanks
    No one knows for sure.

It will likely work for calls and texts - until the shutdown of 3G of course.
    12-27-21 11:19 AM

Thanks
    I think the only issue will be without BlackBerry support... Carriers might not be able to update network setting on these devices. Not that they do that very often anyways. In the end I suspect most devices will work fine, but might be a provider or two that uses this to get some older devices off their networks.... so it's anyone's guess as to what will happen on an individual basis.
    12-27-21 11:28 AM

Thanks
    Assume and prepare as if the device will be completely and totally dead. Have a supported primary device that's already loaded and ready to go, and have all of your data backed up in open formats that can be imported into other apps and platforms. Act as if your device was going into a shredder.

Then, if it keeps working well enough, you can choose to keep using it if you want to, and if it doesn't, then you're already prepared with a supported device. What you don't want to do is have data loss or be in a situation where your phone stops working when you really need it and you don't have an alterative ready to go.
    Laura Knotek and goku_vegeta like this.
    12-28-21 11:45 PM
    I'm to the point now that I'm half expecting a puff of blue smoke to come out of the top speaker of my Z10 come 12:01 am Jan 4.
    12-29-21 01:34 AM
    hopefully the basics of calls, texts, emails work without issue.

what else will actually be missed at this point? (In Canada or areas with adequate 3G)
    Last edited by Phillip st; 12-29-21 at 10:13 AM.
    12-29-21 10:02 AM
    hopefully the basics of calls, texts, emails work without issue.

what else will actually be missed at this point?
    If not in the USA, I expect calls and texts ok with 3G still available. I'm not as sure about email if BlackBerry setup any type of additional protocols in BB10 from a security perspective.
    12-29-21 10:06 AM
    If no access to emails reliably, then it'll absolutely be the end.

I see key2 popularity and prices to increase.

I'm typing this from my slippery pixel pro - and not enjoying this experience at all!
    12-29-21 10:15 AM
    If no access to emails reliably, then it'll absolutely be the end.

I see key2 popularity and prices to increase.

I'm typing this from my slippery pixel pro - and not enjoying this experience at all!
    But the KEY2 is mostly EOL as well... Android is a much bigger target than BB10 was so expecting to use without updates and patches just isn't viable. And we have seen issues with app compatibility already that needed BlackBerry to fix them... but most of those are going to be EOL this year as well. And as more folks figure out that without 3G, LTE isn't really enough...

While I don't doubt KEY2 prices being high and staying there... that has more to do with just aren't many in circulation.
    12-29-21 10:31 AM
    If not in the USA, I expect calls and texts ok with 3G still available. I'm not as sure about email if BlackBerry setup any type of additional protocols in BB10 from a security perspective.
    I've just finished re-installing from Link (worked great, surprisingly) and selectively restoring settings/apps/app data etc and then to my 3 email accounts. No problem with 2 of them but I have a century-old account I use for junk and for the life of me I cannot seem to get it configured properly. Even took screen shots of the account settings previously and still will not SEND. Receiving is ok. Something must have changed somewhere.
    12-29-21 12:00 PM
    Toronto is littered with used and like new key2's and Le's.

The hub+ or whatever is working great on this p6p.

Why are we not able to get the blackberry virtual keyboard downloaded. Flick typing and all.
    12-29-21 01:40 PM
    Toronto is littered with used and like new key2's and Le's.

The hub+ or whatever is working great on this p6p.

Why are we not able to get the blackberry virtual keyboard downloaded. Flick typing and all.
    BlackBerry's licensing from SwiftKey was limited to only their own devices... was talk of them developing it in house, but that never really worked out before TCL pulled out.

Links to it can be found and loaded on other devices...
    12-29-21 01:50 PM
    Had no idea swift key was behind the blackberry virtual keyboard!
    12-29-21 02:25 PM
    Had no idea swift key was behind the blackberry virtual keyboard!
    Going back to BB10... BBOS didn't have a "smart" keyboard really, and BlackBerry just didn't have what it took to create one from scratch. But clearly the "flick" was BlackBerry....
    12-29-21 03:26 PM
    Going back to BB10... BBOS didn't have a "smart" keyboard really, and BlackBerry just didn't have what it took to create one from scratch. But clearly the "flick" was BlackBerry....
    Yeah, and had SwiftKey stayed a standalone company, BlackBerry very well could have made a deal to make their version with the flick typing generally available in some way. But since Microsoft bought SwiftKey in 2016, that probably caused a change in plans.
    12-29-21 04:45 PM
    Yeah, and had SwiftKey stayed a standalone company, BlackBerry very well could have made a deal to make their version with the flick typing generally available in some way. But since Microsoft bought SwiftKey in 2016, that probably caused a change in plans.
    Yeah, in the end MS didn't really care about their keyboard - and has pretty much left SwiftKey alone to thrive. It was the AI/ML technology that MS wanted - SwiftKey was a lot cheaper than Cylance was....
    12-30-21 07:14 AM
    thanks for the info. I will continue using my Z10 until it will not work with my carrier, and in the meantime I'll search for a replacement just in case the end is closer than we'd thought.
    12-30-21 06:29 PM