I am the new and happy owner of a BlackBerry Z10. However I became aware of conflicting reviews regarding the level of brightness the screen can output. I wish to highlight this is the fault of the auto dimmer and cannot be disabled as of yet. This screen is gorgeous and to have BlackBerry see reviewers underrate this over such an oversight when compared to competing smartphones is a dire shame. They must implement a feature to disable this immediately. Please support this request.

To prove this technicality, use your device in a dark room, then put it up against a light. Watch how whites become bright and brilliant and colours richly displayed. Watch how it fades once removed from the source of light back to dim with yellow whites. Fix this before you damage sales!

Thanks.

Mike
    collinc93, ctuffy, marts1x and 1 others like this.
    02-02-13 05:46 PM
    Exactly...that's why I'm glad to wait till march when hopefully a lot of things will be fixed! Plus income tax come in a couple weeks! LOL "Patience is a virtue"
    02-02-13 05:50 PM
    This is especially bad when trying to view a film in a dark room. Needs addressed before March, for sure. US sales do not want to be hindered. Already I've had friends tell me the screen looks decent but too dark.
    ivo1969 likes this.
    02-02-13 05:53 PM
    Interesting thread. I've been ALL OVER THIS.

We now have six Z10's here. My review unit (that was in the CrackBerry review), definitely had a not bright enough, slightly yellowish display which I mentioned in the review. As we got more Z10s during the Launch Events, we've been comparing them. Out of our six, two have very bright displays, two are a little darker but still ok (good color temperature), and too are definitely not as bright as the rest, and a little more yellow.

We put them side by side, tested in low light, bright light, etc., and I didn't see a difference based on that. So I don't think it's the dimmer as suggested by miko2097.

I've alerted BlackBerry to all our findings so far... I agree, if there is any issue, I really hope it's resolved ASAP. It could be that some of the units that were given out for the Launch event/reviews are older production models already, while the better ones are the new ones as they've ramped up for production and hopefully we'll be all good going forward. But definitely agree this needs to be fixed 100% and be in good shape for consumers asap.

Will keep everybody post if I find out more.
    02-02-13 06:04 PM
    You can adjust the brightness in settings and crank it up all the way.

I don't know what the default setting is as I've changed mine already, but if it is a lower setting I'd bet it's to conserve battery life. The display uses lots of battery.
    02-02-13 06:05 PM
    Shao - that's not what we're talking about. We put six Z10s side by side, all with the brightness cranked to the max and the color still varies quite a bit across displays.
    02-02-13 06:06 PM
    Shao - that's not what we're talking about. We put six Z10s side by side, all with the brightness cranked to the max and the color still varies quite a bit across displays.
    You must have been typing your reply the same time I was because I didn't see your post before I posted mine.
    02-02-13 06:13 PM
    Hahaha. Tooo fast!
    02-02-13 06:22 PM
    The display reveals a fantastic and bright capability when infused with light, then dims every time it is taken from that source, which would indicate a software communication with a sensor (front cam?). If what you say is true, then I my request a replacement Z10 through O2.
    WatFrog likes this.
    02-02-13 06:39 PM
    Another reason the US delay is good. Hope this is fixed.
    02-02-13 06:42 PM
    Noooo.... Delay for US sucks!!!
    02-02-13 07:16 PM
    Aus delay sucks too!
    11pts and DrWormBoy like this.
    02-02-13 07:21 PM
    Another reason the US delay is good. Hope this is fixed.
    I'm in the UK & got mine yesterday. No problems so far and I'm really happy we got it first because I've been fed up for a long time with the US having to have everything first. If any Americans would like a picture of me with my Z10, I will be happy to oblige. In our house we've got 2 S3's, an iPhone and the Z10 and in my opinion it's far and away the best of the three. The sheer speed with which you can get things done is incredible.
    lynxs_claw and FreddyE like this.
    02-02-13 07:24 PM
    Ok so reading over Kevin's post got me thinking. Since I don't have 6 Z10s with me :P I made a quick app that will tell you what kind of LCD screen you have on your device. My thinking being that maybe RIM is using different screens possibly.

You'll need to sideload this bar. The app doesn't do anything except create a file in your documents folder called LCD.txt
    After you run the app connect to your computer go into documents and open the text file and post your model number here.

http://shao-soft.com/Display-1_0_0_3.bar

The model from my Dev Alpha is: LCD-46537-001_2012-04-23_00-05-00_5185
    02-02-13 07:33 PM
    I'm being sent a replacement. I hope it's a fantastic one.
    02-03-13 12:00 PM
    Thanks for the little app Shao. Here is my screen: LCD-46537-001_2012-11-04_00-05-01_402
    meltbox360 likes this.
    02-03-13 01:20 PM
    Very interested. Hope we won't have to play a screen lottery. Had this already when I was getting my nexus one. Amoled or lcd.... you don't find out til you get it! Also bump! Really very curious to see if they are all the same or not...
    02-03-13 04:38 PM
    Very interested. Hope we won't have to play a screen lottery. Had this already when I was getting my nexus one. Amoled or lcd.... you don't find out til you get it! Also bump! Really very curious to see if they are all the same or not...
    Same. Hope this isn't the case.
    02-04-13 09:02 AM
    Bump again. Sorry but I am very interested and would really appreciate if more z10 owners chimed in. I must keep this alive or I might never know D:
    *Gotta keep sane somehow with T-Mobile releasing so late*
    02-04-13 08:31 PM
    Same problem here although even if I ramp brightness up to full, the movie still isn't bright enough, whilst menus and everything else do get much brighter. I'm very keen to see if Miko2097's replacement fixes this or whether it's a software issue. Other than that I'm very please with the phone but I watch movies/tv episodes on my commute so it's one of my core uses for the phone. I can always use the playbook instead for the movies but it seems wrong to settle with a screen that could be faulty so need to establish quickly whether this is hardware or software so i can do something about it, if necessary.
    02-05-13 08:59 AM
    Im going to be picking mine up in an hour and a bit and i'm just wondering if anyone can suggest any ways I can help prevent myself from walking out the store with a dim screened version?

Thanks so much!
    02-05-13 10:46 AM
    Noooo.... Delay for US sucks!!!
    Not really, we get to see the bugs and when I get my z10, I will ask to see the screen BEFORE I pay, no yellow screens for me. Patience is a virtue and will help us avoid the bugs and production issues we are seeing here.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    02-05-13 10:51 AM
    We're fine with the delay, let them fix the hardware problems, let them work out any software glitches and we'll enter the bb10 market in June after they release a BES server update. In the mean time, hope everyone enjoys their new device and look forward to reading about all the tips, suggestions, work arounds, etc when they come out.
    02-05-13 11:12 AM
    Wow ... I can't understand how this could have happened with all the pre-testing . Why don't they run in the phones for some period before shipping ? But I agree test your phone before you leave the store or return it if you are not satisfied. I am not thinking there is a fix except return the phone. This will certainly upset the retailers.
    02-05-13 11:52 AM
    Wow ... I can't understand how this could have happened with all the pre-testing . Why don't they run in the phones for some period before shipping ? But I agree test your phone before you leave the store or return it if you are not satisfied. I am not thinking there is a fix except return the phone. This will certainly upset the retailers.
    Its called mass production. You can't control giant factories and make sure EVERY phone is 100%; apple has had this in the the screen light leaks. It happens to everybody. When they narrow down the failure, they tweak the production lines and then it is gone. Testing in small batches can't fine this.
    CDM76 likes this.
    02-05-13 01:21 PM
131 123 ...