Al news is against blackberry before BlackBerry 10 was released. On many new sites in europe blackberry get the worst 2013 stamp for smartphones for this year so what do you think CNN will report.

Strange think for me this year that apple user really bullying me for having a blackberry, but customers switched from apple to blackberry are thanking me and they really like the Z10.

So what people don't know is mostly hated, like we say in holland "what the farmer doesn't know he will not eat"

Posted via CB10
    Thewaxedworm likes this.
    12-27-13 10:33 AM
    My wife is a luddite. As anti-tech as they come. I got her an Android tablet a while back, and she promptly killed it (after asking so many questions and getting so frustrated with it because it didn't do what she wanted it to do)

I got my Z10 a couple months ago, have handed it to her to make calls or look up stuff while I'm driving... she can swipe it and move stuff around, and just make it work fine.

I got her an iFruit to replace her android tablet - she has had nothing but problems getting the swipes to work on it... she actually asked me the other day why she couldn't get it to work like my phone does....

The whole gesture thing boils down to this: people who diss in some of the reviews are so programmed to iOS are either too stupid or lazy to learn something else - or they are selling you something (iOS) . BB10 gestures work. Period.

As far as the "app gap" - there are a few glaring omissions that BB should address... no argument from me... HOWEVER, when I hear about sheer numbers of apps... honestly people, be willing to step up and point out a couple of facts -

1) a lot of those apps are phishing expeditions to get your information - https://blogs.rsa.com/rogue-mobile-a...are-and-fraud/

2) A whole lot of apps are simply not being used or are zombies: 700K of the 1.2M apps available for iPhone, Android, and Windows are zombies | VentureBeat | Mobile | by John Koetsier

But, of course, CNN will never delve into actually doing any reporting... so we'll never hear about either of these little facts...
    The app gap is enormous and probably cant be overcome. Sure, there are useless apps in the Apple and Android world. That doesn't matter. What does matter is the vast assortment of good apps that in aggregate attract more customers than the much smaller selection of apps for BB.
    21stNow and Thewaxedworm like this.
    12-27-13 10:58 AM
    The app gap is enormous and probably cant be overcome. Sure, there are useless apps in the Apple and Android world. That doesn't matter. What does matter is the vast assortment of good apps that in aggregate attract more customers than the much smaller selection of apps for BB.
    Don't forget too that one person's "stupid" app is another's "convenient" app. Example: when I say I appreciate ordering Outback as I'm driving home and just crossing the Shenandoah, it's because I know that in a certain amount of time I'll be curbside picking it up. Critical? Nope. Convenient when I've GOT to have a Bloomin' Onion??? You bet.

That's just one example and I can hear the groans, but for me, smartphones should be about productivity, entertainment, and convenience. People are multifaceted, at least I am. The iPhone works for me.

So it might have lacked in the beginning, but so did all the others, in their way. The early Blacknerry devices did not have cameras or media players. They do now.

Sent from a smartphone of my choosing.
    12-27-13 11:49 AM
    Don't forget too that one person's "stupid" app is another's "convenient" app. Example: when I say I appreciate ordering Outback as I'm driving home and just crossing the Shenandoah, it's because I know that in a certain amount of time I'll be curbside picking it up. Critical? Nope. Convenient when I've GOT to have a Bloomin' Onion??? You bet.

That's just one example and I can hear the groans, but for me, smartphones should be about productivity, entertainment, and convenience. People are multifaceted, at least I am. The iPhone works for me.

So it might have lacked in the beginning, but so did all the others, in their way. The early Blacknerry devices did not have cameras or media players. They do now.

Sent from a smartphone of my choosing.
    I completely agree, although I suspect there are some that might be tough to sell as not stupid, at least to sober people, but heck, apps that appeal to people after a few drinks don't have to be bad.

I just counted and I use something in the range of 70 apps fairly regularly. These range from my task list to sending me boarding passes or sending messages on shared bulletin boards for projects I manage. At lunch today I used the CB app and an app to post a request for a project status update on Basecamp, which we use for project management. Without the wide selection of apps, BB won't appeal to a wide range of users I think.
    12-27-13 12:12 PM
    And the platform hasn't really evolved into anything greater in the 9+ months it's been on the market. In my opinion everything up until 10.2.1 should have came at launch in 10.0

Most consumers running official OSs (I'm afraid to download leaks)are still on 10.1 and we still haven't got a single huge name app that everybody in the beginning claimed would come to bb10 down the road. Even Kevin and Chris from CB are using other platforms in addition to their bb10 devices.

Posted via CB10
    12-27-13 12:43 PM
    Has this CNN article actually appeared yet then?!????

Posted via CB10 on Z10 STL100-2 on EE, UK - Activated on BES10.2
    ha ha... good question. Based on the pile of ranging posts here, I'm guessing NOT yet.
    12-27-13 05:13 PM

As far as the "app gap" - there are a few glaring omissions that BB should address... no argument from me... HOWEVER, when I hear about sheer numbers of apps... honestly people, be willing to step up and point out a couple of facts -

1) a lot of those apps are phishing expeditions to get your information - https://blogs.rsa.com/rogue-mobile-a...are-and-fraud/

2) A whole lot of apps are simply not being used or are zombies: 700K of the 1.2M apps available for iPhone, Android, and Windows are zombies | VentureBeat | Mobile | by John Koetsier

But, of course, CNN will never delve into actually doing any reporting... so we'll never hear about either of these little facts...
    How many zombies are there in BlackBerry World?
    12-27-13 05:53 PM
    Has this CNN article actually appeared yet then?!????

Posted via CB10 on Z10 STL100-2 on EE, UK - Activated on BES10.2
    ha ha... good question. Based on the pile of ranging posts here, I'm guessing NOT yet.
    See post 30 on this thread.
    Boight likes this.
    12-27-13 06:02 PM
    My wife is a luddite. As anti-tech as they come. I got her an Android tablet a while back, and she promptly killed it (after asking so many questions and getting so frustrated with it because it didn't do what she wanted it to do)

I got my Z10 a couple months ago, have handed it to her to make calls or look up stuff while I'm driving... she can swipe it and move stuff around, and just make it work fine.

I got her an iFruit to replace her android tablet - she has had nothing but problems getting the swipes to work on it... she actually asked me the other day why she couldn't get it to work like my phone does.... .
    Dude, this can be said about anything. I gave my wife an Samsung S3 and she came from a Nokia phone that was an mp3 player. I put cyanogenmod on it before I gave it to her because I'm not a fan of Samsung Touch Wiz but my wife learned it. Anyone can learn any OS. It comes down to where are they coming from. If it's from iOS your going have to teach the person because they have a notion on how things should work which was taught to them from using iOS. Example. My friend and his wife had an iPhone 4 and 4S. Once Apple pushed iOS7 is ruined there phone. It made it slow and was janky. They ended up buying Nexus 5 phones to replace them. I had to walk his wife through how to use it. She would get frustraded because in her mind things should work a certain way. After showing her how you do it on Android and she got use to it there was no problem. She kept hitting the home button then the app folder, then the app she was in only min ago. I told her "that's the apple way." NO NO NO. Then I had her hit the multi tasking button and select the app that she was in. I had to remind her of this multiple times and if I wasn't their she would have had a meltdown. To get people to buy BB 10 devices they have to have something that grab people. The hub is good but how many normal people are going to care. People use iPhones for darn sake with no good notification center but they have been programed by Apple to look for the number next to the app icon. My friends wife wanted that too and I had to explain where to look on Android because it different. Is BB10 the worst OS? Hell No. But out of the "Big Companies" selling phones with different OS's BB has done the worst based on sales and the "Going Out of Business" perception. Mass layoffs with "looking for a buyer" makes CNN or any new outlet looks at BB (once the #1 phone brand to now in 4th place over all OS's) and say "dont buy." No one else is.
    12-28-13 09:58 AM
    And the platform hasn't really evolved into anything greater in the 9+ months it's been on the market. In my opinion everything up until 10.2.1 should have came at launch in 10.0
    Ding Ding Ding. Your hit the nail on the head. If you are going to bring out a new phone platform then you can't 1/2 *** it. I say 1/2 *** because BB rushed this out because of all the delays. They either should have used Android and Modified it (to save loads of time and money and have all the apps) or they had to have a complete OS with all the features like 10.2.1. that would have made a buzz with the tech media. They should have build a wow phone like the HTC ONE or like the iPhone. Again the buzz on TV and in the Carrier Stores are what drives sales and perception.
    12-28-13 10:14 AM
    Ding Ding Ding. Your hit the nail on the head. If you are going to bring out a new phone platform then you can't 1/2 *** it. I say 1/2 *** because BB rushed this out because of all the delays. They either should have used Android and Modified it (to save loads of time and money and have all the apps) or they had to have a complete OS with all the features like 10.2.1. that would have made a buzz with the tech media. They should have build a wow phone like the HTC ONE or like the iPhone. Again the buzz on TV and in the Carrier Stores are what drives sales and perception.

Yes. It is impossible to overcome the initial and I think well deserved bad impression that a basically unfinished BB10 gave. 10.2 is too late. Customers have made up their mind.
    12-28-13 10:26 AM
    Yes. It is impossible to overcome the initial and I think well deserved bad impression that a basically unfinished BB10 gave. 10.2 is too late. Customers have made up their mind.
    Sad old repeated arguments as if it were the only possible outcome.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    12-28-13 10:32 AM
    Sad old repeated arguments as if it were the only possible outcome.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    And you continue to fail to acknowledge that when people say this they are saying what they think is by far the most likely outcome, not the only possible outcome. It isn't technically the same. And your argument that it is possible for a different outcome is meaningless, unless you're arguing that it is likely; is that the case? Typically people state what they think are probable outcomes, not definitive outcomes since we can't see the future with 100% accuracy. So unless you are arguing that the likely outcome is different it seems like you are playing rather weak semantic games in an effort to obviate the rather grim situation that BB is in.
    12-28-13 10:44 AM
    You said it's impossible. I think that is completely wrong.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    12-28-13 10:52 AM
    You said it's impossible. I think that is completely wrong.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    I would say that is a semantic argument. I think you are saying impossible means zero chance of them overcoming it where the real odds might be 1 in 5000 or something. Whatever. In either case it is a suckers bet to go with them.
    12-28-13 11:09 AM
    Correct which is why you are on crackberry. Still believing they have a chance ? Or just putting people down that still believe in them.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    12-28-13 11:26 AM
    Correct which is why you are on crackberry. Still believing they have a chance ? Or just putting people down that still believe in them.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925

For better or worse I am troubled when I observe delusion.

I still use my Q10 although probably not for much longer. I thought it would be a good compliment to my iphone because of the keyboard. But the app and ecosystem situation is so dismal I think I am going to get a new Android phone and bag it with the Q10. I will probably keep it for use sometime, but it mostly stays in a pocket or case and doesn't get used because of the lack of software.
    12-28-13 11:28 AM
    For better or worse I am troubled when I observe delusion.

I still use my Q10 although probably not for much longer. I thought it would be a good compliment to my iphone because of the keyboard. But the app and ecosystem situation is so dismal I think I am going to get a new Android phone and bag it with the Q10. I will probably keep it for use sometime, but it mostly stays in a pocket or case and doesn't get used because of the lack of software.
    When 10.2.1 is officially released you seriously won't take advantage of the Google play store ???

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    12-28-13 11:45 AM
    When 10.2.1 is officially released you seriously won't take advantage of the Google play store ???

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    What year will it be released? It will have access to the Google store, really? What percentage of Android apps will actually run?
    12-28-13 11:50 AM
    What year will it be released? It will have access to the Google store, really? What percentage of Android apps will actually run?
    Released in January for most parts of the world. You only sideload Snap to gain access to Google play store.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    12-28-13 11:56 AM
    I'm running dead trigger 2. It won't run apps that require Google play services.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    12-28-13 11:57 AM
    Released in January for most parts of the world. You only sideload Snap to gain access to Google play store.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925

I asked what year, not what month, especially for Verizon. Why should I bother sideloading to get some apps in a workaround instead of just getting an Android phone? I am not sure if the keyboard is worth it, perhaps it is; I certainly don't see any other advantages to the Q10. Also, the voice recognition on the Moto X intrigues me. That is something new, and if it works well a potential killer feature.
    12-28-13 12:22 PM
    I asked what year, not what month, especially for Verizon. Why should I bother sideloading to get some apps in a workaround instead of just getting an Android phone? I am not sure if the keyboard is worth it, perhaps it is; I certainly don't see any other advantages to the Q10. Also, the voice recognition on the Moto X intrigues me. That is something new, and if it works well a potential killer feature.
    Do whatever you want. Once 10.2.1 is released load it up from a Canadian carrier don't rely on yours.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    12-28-13 12:24 PM
    Do whatever you want. Once 10.2.1 is released load it up from a Canadian carrier don't rely on yours.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    Well, no, I am not loading it from a Canadian carrier. Why, because why is it worth it? That is the problem for BB when they release a half baked OS and then expect to catch up with a good one later.
    12-28-13 12:42 PM
    I just purchased a Z10 - the first smartphone I have ever handled. I have never used a tablet before either. If gestures are so hard, why did it take me less than a day to become comfortable with them? One of the reasons I decided on a BB10 device is gestures. They are the cutting edge - not a Home button.

Think about this: Eventually your smartphone will just be a facilitator of your data. Screens of all sizes will be everywhere to use just by touching or pointing your phone, or by even more inventive means. How will people interact with these generic screens. I highly doubt it will be with a Home button. Sometime down the road BlackBerry gestures will be hailed as prescient and everyone will be wondering why anybody ever used a phone with a Home button when gesture phones were readily available. Of course, this doesn't help BlackBerry now. If it doesn't get its game together it may just end up as nothing more than an answer to a trivial pursuit "who was the first" question.
    Dave Bourque likes this.
    12-28-13 03:50 PM
135 ... 3456