Black dots in the camera-img_20140408_105705.jpg

Hi all, I recently began having problems with my Z10 rear camera. I started seeing a black dot in the videos and pictures. Reinstalling the OS did not help. So I ignored it for a while. A few days ago three more spots emerged, as the attached picture illustrates. I am guessing I would need to replace the camera. Or is there anything else that can be done? My phone is out of warranty, so simply gutting a new one from the carrier is not an option.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Posted via CB10
    04-08-14 10:03 AM
    Looks like the CCD is going bad, or there's a problem with its connection on the board. This typically happens when the phone is subject to impact shock or strong vibration. But the how is not relevant. AT&T plays it pretty loose with upgrade permission. Supervisors, if jaded enough, will often override your eligibility, but you'd have to upgrade over the phone. Can't be done in a store or online. I don't advise this path. My recommendation is to acquire a no-contract replacement. Last time I looked, the Z10 was $300, on AT&T. May be different now, because it's been several months. The camera being borked isn't a game-over scenario for your current phone, and excepting the videos, minor image editing can cover up the dead spots in the still photos.
    04-08-14 10:30 AM
    Thanks so much for the quick reply. I am with Virgin in Canada and would need to spend $210 on the upgrade. Don't think it is worth it at the moment for the reasons you state. I can just do some minor image editing. Thanks again!

Posted via CB10
    04-08-14 10:37 AM
    Not a problem. Z10s are getting cheaper as time goes on, and a lot of people who can't figure them out might be selling them below cost. Keep your eyes peeled, and put money aside. I should do the same, because the insurance deductible for my phone is more than it would cost to buy one on Amazon. Feh. Oh, right, they're about $220 US or so on Amazon.
    04-08-14 10:50 AM
    you;'ve got dead pixels on the ccd of the camera. only way to fix it is to buy a replacement camera module. should be some off ebay if you do a search.
    04-08-14 07:49 PM
    Thanks for the advice. I will take a look.

Posted via CB10
    04-08-14 07:51 PM
    It does seem like it is easy to find a camera module. Is it hard to replace it though? I am not particularly handy.

Posted via CB10
    04-08-14 07:57 PM
    It does seem like it is easy to find a camera module. Is it hard to replace it though? I am not particularly handy.

Posted via CB10
    It's soldered onto the board so unless you are extremely skilled with soldering small PCB components, you probably have no chance of doing it.

Posted via CB10
    04-08-14 08:30 PM
    First time for everything!

Posted via CB10
    04-08-14 08:33 PM
    Thanks! I will ask my friend who is good at soldiering if he can help me.

Posted via CB10
    04-09-14 12:02 AM
    Hello. I also have one point. Bought a camera and changed. Changes easily. Russia
    04-09-14 02:49 AM