I almost exclusively use voice dialling via headphones when making calls, only when someone's not in my contacts' list do I dial directly. Last night I tried making a call and it went something like this:

Me: Call Jane Doe Mobile;
    Z10: Do you want to call Fred Bloggs (my name) on Mobile 1 or Mobile 2?;

I hung up and tried again only to have the same thing happen. Twice.

I checked my contact list and couldn't find Jane Doe's information anywhere but her call icon was now showing on my profile, I opened my contact info and hey presto Jane Doe's information had merged with mine. I took a quick visual at my entire list and found about half the number of contacts I should have. Turns out half of my contacts had merged with others making my contact list useless, even when profiles worked it couldn't discern what number was the correct one. On top of that, some profiles' names had changed to their email addresses; this morning I tried calling my mother to wish her a happy birthday only to find voice rec couldn't find her. Checked my profiles yet again and found that her profile name had changed to her email address.

I have made no changes to my phone since the 10.2.1 update and have not downloaded any apps since then either. Nothing that I can think of has occurred on this phone that would instigate such changes. I'm running 10.2.1.537/10.2.1.1925, STL100-3. I've tried rebooting, battery pulls and a reinstall and nothing's helped.

Any ideas? I need my contacts back!
    02-21-14 08:15 AM
    Anyone? I really need to deal with this and have run out of options, I've searched everywhere for a solution and I can't find one. Any suggestions gladly accepted even if you think it might be trivial. I would approach BlackBerry themselves but the last couple of times I've done that it's taken about a week for them to get back to me with no solution other than to take it to my carrier who are equally as usueless.
    02-21-14 09:29 AM
    I have not had quite this measure of issues with contacts. But each time I have updated the software, my Z10 has confused names and phone numbers. I just rebooted a few times and once the software settles, it seems to be ok. Have you recently updated software? If so, let it settle for a day or two and report back. If not, I can only wish you luck.

Or perhaps delete your email profile and re-add...assuming you are on a hosted exchange server.

Posted via CB10
    Jonesy1966 likes this.
    02-21-14 09:38 AM
    Wow crazy,

How/where are your contacts backed up?
    Jonesy1966 likes this.
    02-21-14 09:52 AM
    I have not had quite this measure of issues with contacts. But each time I have updated the software, my Z10 has confused names and phone numbers. I just rebooted a few times and once the software settles, it seems to be ok. Have you recently updated software? If so, let it settle for a day or two and report back. If not, I can only wish you luck.

Or perhaps delete your email profile and re-add...assuming you are on a hosted exchange server.

Posted via CB10
    I've not had an update for 2 or 3 weeks, since the official 10.2.1 update and my contact were working properly until last night. Have tried battery pulls, reboots and a reload from Link to no avail
    02-21-14 09:57 AM
    Wow crazy,

How/where are your contacts backed up?
    Backed up through Link, last back up I did was for the 10.2.1 update a few weeks ago.
    02-21-14 09:58 AM
    Do you have a Gmail account or any account that handles contacts tied to your phone at all? If so, check the contacts within that account and verify the contacts being in order or not.
    02-21-14 10:06 AM
    Do you have a Gmail account or any account that handles contacts tied to your phone at all? If so, check the contacts within that account and verify the contacts being in order or not.
    I don't use GMail or Yahoo! only my ISP addresses which are run through Outlook. Someone just asked me this in my office so I'll answer it here too in case it means anything; I only use my local calendar, it's not synched to Outlook.
    02-21-14 10:16 AM
    Are your contacts linked? Say you open "mom", how many links do you have shown? 1, 2, 3?

Bizzare Contacts Issue-img_20140221_082458.png

Posted via CB10
    02-21-14 10:25 AM
    Hi all,

This has started happening to my mums phone today also, however mine remains unaffected as it currently stands. Both phones are setup to use the Gmail CardDAV protocol, with the only difference between the two is that mine is a google apps account, whereas hers is just your run of the mill free gmail account.

For some reason, 59 of her individual contacts have just decided to link themselves. No common information in any of them, with very different names, and worryingly all from the same source which according to what I've read, shouldn't be possible. Oddly enough, a few days, she complained that lots of her contacts had disappeared, but after a battery pull, all was well at the time, but now this.

Even if I unlink all 59 contacts, many of them will merge together again in smaller groups, which can make locating accounts more tricky, though not impossible. Worse is incoming calls, as it could present itself with any name from the contacts app if you haven't realised that they have merged.

I've removed and re-added the account, both with and without a hard reboot inbetween. Can't help but think that something has changed with the way the phone is reading the CardDAV protocol which is causing this, but really cant say for sure! The contacts within gmail remain unaffected as expected, as this is only the phone that is creating the virtual link between contacts and not actually merging the contact entries.

Model: Z10 STL100-2
    SW: 10.2.1.537

Bizzare Contacts Issue-img_20140221_191956-1-.png

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
    02-21-14 01:59 PM
    Are your contacts linked? Say you open "mom", how many links do you have shown? 1, 2, 3?

Posted via CB10
    I don't have any of my contacts "linked" to anything whether it's GMail, Twitter or even other email accounts, etc. I may have their relative info in there but I've deliberately avoided linking them any further than that. I just tried to manually "unmerge" some accounts but they just go back to being merged a few minutes later and they all seem to have no known relationship with one another.

10.2.1 slowly seemed to ease a lot of the issues I've had with my Z10 since launch and I was hoping to start using it as my daily driver again, but without the ability to be able to make even a simple telephone call it's back to being relegated to nothing more than a secondary back up again.

Please, if someone has an answer then I'm all ears. I would love to be able to trust my Z10 again.
    02-21-14 03:32 PM
    I'm starting to think we won't ever be happy about contacts in BlackBerry 10.
    The last thing I noticed is when I receive a call, it doesn't show the name of who's calling even it's a contact recorded in my 'contact book' it only shows the number....

BBM channel: C0040FF4D..... Proudly Z10 owner...
    02-21-14 06:58 PM
    I have given up long time ago about the contact issues.. whenever I manually fixed them, they just go back and sometimes worst than before.. BlackBerry needs to fix this...

Posted via CB10
    02-21-14 07:02 PM
    I have given up long time ago about the contact issues.. whenever I manually fixed them, they just go back and sometimes worst than before.. BlackBerry needs to fix this...

Posted via CB10
    I hear you. It's ridiculous that I can't add phone numbers to Twitter and Facebook contacts. They just reset! I have to create a new local contact and then merge them together

Posted via CB10
    02-21-14 08:51 PM
    I have been having a similar issue since 10.2.1 was loaded. I tried reloading a back up from link, then fire chest but problems were still there. Eventually spoke to O2 guru, who was confused and went thru all I had done, and he arranged a phone swap out and I have had no major issues since.

Posted via CB10
    02-22-14 03:20 AM
    All the issues with contacts are an aggravation to be sure.

Random merging and mixing of data between unrelated and related contacts is the worst.

Linking and unlinking of contacts is a pain.

Duplicates for no apparent reason.

Syncing is hit or miss - completely unreliable.

Pictures from contacts in twitter sometimes appear and some times they don't.

Pictures swapped between different contacts.

BBM contacts have a problem sharing data with contacts - they show "invite to BBM" even when we already have a chat history. If you invite them, then it sends and they receive notification, but nothing changes. Cross platform and BlackBerry to BlackBerry.

Sometimes contacts disappear for a whole and then magically reappear.

Sometimes the caller's name is displayed, sometimes just the phone number is displayed.

Contacts is just a mess.

I've taken to keeping a spreadsheet with contact information so that I can have a master backup that I can visually see and trust. It's a pain, but I need the data to be reliable.

Posted via CB10
    02-22-14 05:43 AM
    So the gist I'm getting is that I have to live with this? Pretty much makes my Z10 useless as a phone.
    02-22-14 10:23 AM
    The part I find strange about all of it this is-

I never experienced what the OP is having trouble with, but have had MANY contact issues from the start with my Z10. The 10.2.1 update is the update that actually "Fixed" my contacts issue. However I do remember it wasn't a matter of just updating the phone. I did have issues at first, where the notifications on Text/BBM/Whatsapp side would stop chiming for no reason. A reboot would fix it, but sometimes only for a short time.

The method I did worked, but took a while, and NORMALLY not needed in some steps. My phone hasn't given any issues since. Please note that I am running a leak, and not the official OS. I also have my contacts set for auto-sync to my gmail account.

- Backup phone contents via Link (make sure link is up to date).
    - Disconnect from your computer and do a security wipe.
    - Once completed, RELOAD device software (back to stock/shipped with OS).
    - Once completed, pull battery, press and hold power button down for 5 seconds (ensures a flush to the circuitry). IF your phone is hot to the touch, letting it cool isnt a bad idea. I found it is less likely to fail when the unit is cool upon a restore.
    - Hook back up to your computer- Run OS update via link, autoloader, etc..
    - Restore your backup contents.

Long, not needed in a few steps normally. Keep in mind though by the time I had gotten to this point personally- I was pulling straws and desperate to fix this issue, or I would have had to leave the phone. Once this was completed, I have never had an issue since.
    Maybe it would work for some of ya!

Info:
    Model: STL100-1 - Factory Unlocked
    SW: 10.2.1.537
    ATT network
    Last edited by Grumblegrumble; 02-22-14 at 12:00 PM.
    02-22-14 11:44 AM
    One of the worst things besides battery life is contacts. Merging accounts that need not be merged. Not merging accounts where it should. Display contacts pictures on outward calls but not showing them with inbound calls, even though the numbers are exactly the same. I've tried many different things. I now have no social links anymore. No pictures except for one, which still has the same inbound outbound issues. Deleted numbers and email addresses I don't think I'll be using. It has become a desolate place and still it has many issues.

I'm not even going to get into the new call screen, we'll be here forever!
    FF22 likes this.
    02-22-14 11:59 AM
    I hear ya, contacts app/portion of the OS has been a very flaky experience for some of us. While others never seemed to have this problem at all. I used the app Contact X for a little bit, it helped some, but again thats a work around, not a fix. I dont care for the new call screen either, but it wouldn't stop me from updating my device personally. To me, the resources and efforts that was put into that, could have been diverted to fixing our contact issue, or handling of.
    02-22-14 12:04 PM
    Well, today I've backed up, security wiped, reloaded, re-added accounts from scratch, and immediately it did the same!

I'm at a loss!

Posted via CB10
    02-23-14 11:56 AM
    In contact settings, there is a place to select an option to get more info on your contacts from cloud services. Unselect this. I believe this is an issue because it picks up bad data and can merge your contacts.

The data is there now so you may have to reload contacts to remove this bad data.

Reply and let me know.

Posted via CB10
    02-23-14 03:30 PM
    Well, today I've backed up, security wiped, reloaded, re-added accounts from scratch, and immediately it did the same!

I'm at a loss!

Posted via CB10
    I did the same thing this morning and it merged everything back about 30 minutes later.
    02-23-14 04:08 PM
    In contact settings, there is a place to select an option to get more info on your contacts from cloud services. Unselect this. I believe this is an issue because it picks up bad data and can merge your contacts.

The data is there now so you may have to reload contacts to remove this bad data.

Reply and let me know.

Posted via CB10
    I'll try this tomorrow and post here with the results Thanks!
    02-23-14 04:09 PM

Reply and let me know.

Posted via CB10
    I have that off but anyway it keeps the duplicate for me. After OS update I'll know if that did the trick. Meanwhile I'll fix manually

Posted via CB10
    02-24-14 01:11 PM
30 12