Hey, guys!

Did you have notice any difference between BIS and others phones data plans in the Z10? For example, I'm using a regular data plan and can't update my os to 10.1. For example: If I were using BIS, an exclusive blackberry service, could i update it faster?

Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    05-26-13 06:11 PM
    there should be no difference now. BB10 runs full on any data plan. Actually you dont even need a data plan and can run all on wifi too i think.
    hzguo likes this.
    05-26-13 06:14 PM
    there should be no difference now. BB10 runs full on any data plan. Actually you dont even need a data plan and can fun all on wifi too i think.
    You're right. You can run pretty much everything using Wi-Fi.
    05-26-13 07:42 PM
    You're right. You can run pretty much everything using Wi-Fi.
    It runs full on wifi, but I wont say ANY data plan. I'm visiting a country in the Caribbean, and a carrier here (corrupt as ever) are forcing you to pay BIS services in order to get data. I don't know how, but their regular data just wouldn't work with my z10!
    05-26-13 07:49 PM
    They are blocking blackberry services on the regular plan, maybe not on purpose but by design of their carrier services or limited service.

So maybe bis plan is all they have for BlackBerry devices to work on.

Bell on canada at first was doing this to their customers, but figured out a way to fix that.

Bell is a cdma company.

Posted via CB10
    05-26-13 07:55 PM
    It runs full on wifi, but I wont say ANY data plan. I'm visiting a country in the Caribbean, and a carrier here (corrupt as ever) are forcing you to pay BIS services in order to get data. I don't know how, but their regular data just wouldn't work with my z10!
    Rogers as well here in Toronto, they still insist on a bis data plan.

Posted from my Z10
    05-26-13 08:33 PM

Posted from my Z10
    is there a work around though? I mean, if wifi works, there should be a way we can make data work?
    05-26-13 08:46 PM
    Can we use BIS PLAN on Z10?

Where is the HRT option and the service book?

Posted from my ZZZZZZZZZZ
    05-26-13 08:47 PM
    Yeah, BIS plans still work on the Z10...
    05-26-13 08:51 PM

Posted from my Z10
    What rogers not require a bis plan, call me back as z10 does not utilize bis.

Posted via CB10
    05-26-13 09:02 PM
    Z10 does not compress data like all top of line phones don't. So BIS us not going to be utilized.

If your in a country that us subpar then if bis is all they have the z10 will work, but again no compression.

Posted via CB10
    05-26-13 09:04 PM
    Yeah BIS is not necessary anymore, older plans will work (as i did not change my plan from my legacy OS 9900). BBM goes through the NOC but that's about it.
    05-26-13 09:06 PM
    Compare to BIS functions (which I used to use on 9900), I find BB OS 10 doing a much better job at synchronizing calendar/contacts/emails without BIS. BB OS 10 does not require a BIS plan to work.
    05-26-13 09:06 PM
    is there a work around though? I mean, if wifi works, there should be a way we can make data work?
    There is a simple workaround: Say you got any other phone. They can't tell a Z10 from an iPhone as far as data comsumption goes.
    05-26-13 09:10 PM
    There is a simple workaround: Say you got any other phone. They can't tell a Z10 from an iPhone as far as data comsumption goes.
    Yeah, that or change carriers (did that while on a trip). Most times when i explained to the reps they had no idea about the BB10/Z10 and insisted you need a BIS plan or their specific plan for a BBRY to work.

My workaround was activating data on the sim card on my Galaxy Note (carrier termed the plan a NON BBRY plan --> and you had to activate the plan on the handset itself!) got it up and running full internet access then swapped the sim card to the Z10, changed to the appropriate APN settings and success!
    05-26-13 09:21 PM
    Can we use BIS PLAN on Z10?

Where is the HRT option and the service book?

Posted from my ZZZZZZZZZZ
    go to settings> about, in the drop down, choose network then look the three points bottom right corner of the screen, click on it and chood register blackberry now.
    05-26-13 10:05 PM
    Hey, guys!

Did you have notice any difference between BIS and others phones data plans in the Z10? For example, I'm using a regular data plan and can't update my os to 10.1. For example: If I were using BIS, an exclusive blackberry service, could i update it faster?

Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    Due to the size of the update you must connect to WiFi to download and install the software. Normally there is a pop-up message to that effect.

Posted via CB10 from the BlackBerry Z10
    05-26-13 11:46 PM
    I dropped my BIS plan, but I had to prove to the people at AIS Thailand that it would actually work because they didn't believe me, LOL.

I can honestly report that everything works faster on a straight data plan; BBM, Browser, email................
    05-27-13 12:34 AM
    go to settings> about, in the drop down, choose network then look the three points bottom right corner of the screen, click on it and chood register blackberry now.
    found this settings, but nothing happens (carrier O2 germany).
    I also cannot access the blackberry e-mail address, as I don't know the password for this, thought it is the BIS password, buts the Q10 says its not...
    Any ideas?
    05-29-13 12:19 PM

Posted from my Z10
    That's not true. I'm with rogers and I'm on just a data plan on both my z10 and q10.

Posted via CB10
    05-29-13 12:21 PM
    Actually the phone doesn't compress the data it would be the BB servers.

With BB10, BIS is carrier dependent now... meaning its up to the carrier if they want their customers to be routed via BIS or just straight data - I have T-Mobile and they no longer use BIS, hence why there isn't an extra charge for a Blackberry plan.

I know a few people who use the Z10 via BES as they work for the Federal Government here in the U.S.
    05-29-13 12:26 PM
    If anyone is interested, and maybe it's already written somewhere else:

Just contacted O2 Germany support. BB10 does not need and support BIS and therefore cannot connect to the BIS.
    At least they'll cancel my BlackBerry option (BIS connection) within the next month and not when the contract expires in one and a half years
    They'll do this to everybody who bought a new bb10 device, they told me.

Posted via CB10
    05-31-13 04:49 AM
    This is 2015 now. I have z10 and using a regular data plan with TMobile. Yesterday I chat with tmobile rep and asked her if Tmobile still has BIS and she said yes. I asked her to activate it. She said there is no extra charge for BIS and will be activated at my next billing cycle. So I have to wait for another week and see what happens. Just wanted to see what happens when they activate BIS on my Z10.
    06-01-15 09:29 PM
    Yeah, BIS plans still work on the Z10...
    I use one on my Classic... I'm grandfathered into an unlimited BIS plan for $10/mo with TMO and my phone get's LTE etc... The only thing I can't do is teather but I think it's a small trade off...
    06-01-15 10:08 PM
    Does anyone know whats the difference between a regular data plan and BIS. Whats the advantages or disadvantages or getting getting BIS over regular data plan.
    06-01-15 10:13 PM
37 12