Am in the same country as davinci4real and I use the bis plan on my z10. Yes, you heard me right. BIS on BB10.
    Glo Absolute plan works on my z10.
    Used it on my bold 9930 and it still works fine on my z10 with 3G data

Awaiting 10.2.1 official while on the leak
    Thank you for clearing this out. I use the glo. BIS service too. MTN are just theives, I've tweeted that to them before.

From Zuri my Z10.
    01-24-14 01:33 AM
    What we are trying to say is that.
    Yes we know the new BIS plans are not pure BIS. They are just repackaged data plans for some carriers.
    While for other carriers, the old BIS plans that are still working on the legacy devices are also still working on BB10 devices.
    Now it might not come with security and the rest of the BIS package. But it comes with the same amount of data. And that is what makes us happy.
    Because the BB10 uses up a crazy amount of Data!
    But hey. The name is still BIS (for does carriers that allow it, not MTN that uses a rip off BB10lite and the rest package)

From Zuri my Z10.
    01-24-14 01:45 AM
    What we are trying to say is that.
    Yes we know the new BIS plans are not pure BIS. They are just repackaged data plans for some carriers.
    While for other carriers, the old BIS plans that are still working on the legacy devices are also still working on BB10 devices.
    Now it might not come with security and the rest of the BIS package. But it comes with the same amount of data. And that is what makes us happy.
    Because the BB10 uses up a crazy amount of Data!
    But hey. The name is still BIS (for does carriers that allow it, not MTN that uses a rip off BB10lite and the rest package)

From Zuri my Z10.
    Well, you hit the nail on the head. The Z10 uses more data (uncompressed) than the legacy BBerry phones. Which is why these carriers repackaged the offerings and some just decided to call them BIS.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-24-14 04:57 AM
    Well, you hit the nail on the head. The Z10 uses more data (uncompressed) than the legacy BBerry phones. Which is why these carriers repackaged the offerings and some just decided to call them BIS.
    No the main reasons carriers forced BlackBerry to give up BIS for BB10 was the fact Bis compressed your data something the carriers hated because they couldn't sell high cost data plans to BlackBerry users and secondly they had to pay a fee to BlackBerry to use BIS

Z10 Running 10.2.1.1925 Take that Mr App Gap!
    FF22 likes this.
    01-25-14 02:32 PM
    I read somewhere all the emails and other things going through BIS used less battery on OS7.1. So if BB10 does not use BIS then does it mean that it is using more battery to sync?

Posted via CB10
    It seems the no one answered, so I'll give it a try.

BIS did all the polling and syncing of the various email systems it was configured for outside of your phone. For POP3, it polled every 15 minutes. It did so with standard IMAP too, but some think otherwise. IMAP idle account could be instant, though. Gmail, MSN, Hotmail, GoDaddy, and a few other email services were also near real-time.

Point is, the BIS servers did all the work and would just feed emails as they came in directly to your phone. There was a single network connection via BIS.

With BB10, the phone does all the syncing and polling in-device. So it's going out and hunting the various emails servers you may have set up itself and then pulling what it finds into your phone. Although other push service type email accounts still only need the connection point so they would know where to push an email to, like IMAP idle, or EAS accounts, those are all still separate network connections to maintain. Then, if you have a POP3 account, like one of mine is, that's yet another constant polling that the phone is doing - unless you switch it to manual.

Posted via CB10
    andy957 likes this.
    01-25-14 05:03 PM
    Some third world countries have carriers that are conning their customers making them pay an additional fee for a special BB10 BIS package

Posted via CB10
    01-25-14 05:15 PM
    Nope you're wrong. Over here. We have the option to use it if you want to.

From Zuri my Z10.
    U can always pay additional premium for services you do not use.
    Bb10 does not need bis. Just the same data plan as with any android or iphone.

Posted from Z10 with 10.2.1.1925 leak. Pwnage apparatus!
    01-25-14 05:27 PM
    As stated MTN has a "BIS Lite" which is not legacy BIS at all. Just a data plan that mimics BIS features. Sort of.
    What BIS features?!

Main BIS feature is connection to BlackBerry servers for BlackBerry phone features, namely email and bbm.

Z10 and all bb10 phones do not need any special plan to connect to BlackBerry servers. Just simple data plan.

Tel your operators that you have android phone and that's it

01-25-14 05:31 PM
    I hope no one is paying more for a "BIS" plan. It can't be anything more than calling it that to make customers feel better.

You're right. It isn't BIS. It's a marketing gimmick by the carriers.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Tapatalk
    01-25-14 05:32 PM
    Hello my fellow debaters, I think it's best I do more explaining so that you guys understand my stand that BIS does work on z10.

In 2012, I activated a BIS plan on my Torch 9800(legacy device) and later that year, I changed my phone to Bold 9930(another legacy device) using the same BIS plan.
    Now in 2013, I changed my phone to a Z10(the new OS10 device) and I still use the same BIS plan I was using before and everything works perfectly.

Now based on the arguments so far and my experience, I can only CONCLUDE that carriers in my country(mtn, Glo and airtel) never had what is called BIS plans, it was only named so because it is blackberry(note these plans never worked on other phones except you apply some cheats which airtel is doing now).

After all has been said, If you disagree with my CONCLUSION , this means that you CONCUR with me that BIS plans does work on BlackBerry Z10.

Thanks you.

Awaiting 10.2.1 official while on the leak(3 days and counting)
    01-25-14 09:03 PM
    Hello my fellow debaters, I think it's best I do more explaining so that you guys understand my stand that BIS does work on z10.

In 2012, I activated a BIS plan on my Torch 9800(legacy device) and later that year, I changed my phone to Bold 9930(another legacy device) using the same BIS plan.
    Now in 2013, I changed my phone to a Z10(the new OS10 device) and I still use the same BIS plan I was using before and everything works perfectly.

Now based on the arguments so far and my experience, I can only CONCLUDE that carriers in my country(mtn, Glo and airtel) never had what is called BIS plans, it was only named so because it is blackberry(note these plans never worked on other phones except you apply some cheats which airtel is doing now).

After all has been said, If you disagree with my CONCLUSION , this means that you CONCUR with me that BIS plans does work on BlackBerry Z10.

Thanks you.

Depends on your definition of works. Can a BB10 device use BIS features like BIS email? No. Can it use wireless data included in the plan to get emails? Yes. The question you should ask is do I have an email address like [email protected] that delivers email directly to the phone and nowhere else? If yes, you have BIS service, if no you may have a BIS plan but not BIS service.

Posted via CB10
    01-25-14 09:28 PM
    Why this service is remove, if removed the why not tell at the time purchase ya in advertising, why make us fool the phone hang many times update issues, software installation issues

Posted via CB10
    Here we go again!

I'm with Bell Mobility in Canada and I can swap my sim from my 9900 to my Z10 without changing plans (I use an adaptor). You should ask more info to your carrier but my old BIS plan are compatible with the Z10.

Posted via CB10
    01-25-14 09:34 PM
    Why this service is remove, if removed the why not tell at the time purchase ya in advertising, why make us fool the phone hang many times update issues, software installation issues

Posted via CB10
    I think I speak for all of us when I say "huh?"

Photo a Day Channel: C002B5A07
    01-25-14 09:37 PM

Thanks you.

No, it just means that your BIS plan included a data bucket and therefore is working on your BB10 device. You can conclude whatever you want. If your carrier calls it a bag or oranges, you can say that your bb10 phone works with a bag of oranges, does not mean that it is actually using it.

BlackBerry, RIM at that time, never stated that the BIS plans could not be used for its bb10 devices, the plans that absolutely would not work were the Social plans, remmember the ones with certain carriers where it allowed just BBM and Email but no browsing.
    Laura Knotek and yessuz like this.
    01-25-14 09:55 PM
    If folks chose to believe BIS still works on bb10 devices, they can believe that.

When I got my z10, all Verizon did was give me a sim card since I purchased the phone privately. Then she waved a magic wand over the phone and I was connected. They never changed my plan (which had been bis but was no longer bis) When I asked about going back and forth between the z10 and my 9930, she said it could take a while till the network recognized the change over. And in fact, when my z10 died, I tried activating my 9930 but has to get Verizon to re-provision it and I was back on BIS. Then when the new z10 arrived, I moved the sim but could not connect and again needed Verizon's help. Now, there was no change in billing or my UNlimited plan. But I definitely also use more data now that bis compression no longer is in the mix.

Now, how do I know that my z10 no longer has bis - because NONE OF MY BIS FILTERS work. I get all email that comes to my gmail account and all email that comes to my compuserve account and all email that comes to my AT&T account (not cell, old dsl holdover). When on bis, my email was filtered and I only got email from certain people. And when I moved from the broken z10 back to the 9930 for two days, my email was again filtered - I loved it. I still miss that aspect of BIS the most - email filtering. And when the new z10 was enabled - BIS filters were gone.

There is no Santa Claus and there is no BIS on bb10.

You folks can believe what you want - it does not affect reality!
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-25-14 10:13 PM
    @MobileMadness002, thanks. I can agree with you that it is most likely that BIS plans in my country is inclusive of that packet data needed for it to work on a bb10 phone or any other device apart from blackberry. This is confirmed by folks here using BIS plans on iPhone and Android devices.
    @F2, I guess your carriers did not grant you that access as you have to always go back to them anytime you change platforms. In my own case, I didn't call anyone or go to any office to get my sim to work on my devices. All I do is switch.

So I will say here that BIS plans are entirely different in countries and amongst carriers.
    Yours may work with a bb10 device and it may not. It all depends on how your carrier has packaged the plan.
    Thanks again.

Awaiting 10.2.1 official while on the leak(2 days and counting)
    01-25-14 11:31 PM
    BIS (real BIS) does not work on 10 series BBerry phones. Some carriers will allow you to keep your BIS plan, but the series 10 phones lack -- technically lack -- the ability to use compressed data under BIS. What you are using is a conventional data plan with some sort of "data pricing" to compensate for the lack of BIS. This is real simple: a carrier wants you to buy their new BBerry phones. A lot of people -- especially in emerging markets -- resisted because the old BIS plan had a lot of advantages. So, the carriers played with the truth and told (are telling) their customers they can run BIS on their series 10 phone. It's not true. But it's easier than trying to explain the truth.

And, of course, Android phones and iPhones will never run on a BBerry BIS plan.

No BIS on BlackBerry 10 | News24
    01-26-14 04:40 AM
    Jesus.
    The fact, that you drive your petrol driven car to petrol station which has petrol and diesel, does not mean that your car run on diesel.

What you have is a simple data plan, the same android and iOS use.

Ffs, just put your SIM card into any android phone and you will have the internet. Will this mean that android phone use BIS? Hell no.

Bb10 phones has no technical cappability to use BIS as petrol cars cannot run on diesel.

01-26-14 05:08 AM
    I hate not having bis because now it uses crazy amounts of data
    I went over 6gs in less than a month ******* bs

Posted via CB10
    I have my Z10 since March 2013 and I usually have around 250 MB per month. I am using one email account and three Twitter accounts. Additionally I have probably 60 BlackBerry 10 native apps installed and around five Android side loads which also need Internet from time to time. I also occasionally download some updates while on mobile network. When I am at home or at work my phone is connected to wifi but I am using it heavily while I am commuting (around 90 minutes surfing and twitter).

Posted via CB10
    01-26-14 05:24 AM
    Don't know why people won't get my point.
    The data plan I am using on my z10 has been in existence years before Blackberry introduced the bb10 series. No modifications at all.
    At least I have been on this bis plan since 2011 when I let go of my iPhone 2g to get blackberry curve 8520.
    That is the basis of my argument.
    Should I agree to your conclusions that the 10 series cannot use bis plans when I am obviously using it.
    Noooooo! Unless someone gives me a better reason for why my case is different, I still maintain my stand that my blackberry z10 uses bis data plan.
    Afterall, Blackberry never announced that the 10 series does not support BIS.

01-26-14 06:08 AM
    The data plan I am using on my z10 has been in existence years before Blackberry introduced the bb10 series. No modifications at all.
    At least I have been on this bis plan since 2011 when I let go of my iPhone 2g to get blackberry curve 8520.
    Should I agree to your conclusions that the 10 series cannot use bis plans when I am obviously using it.
    Noooooo! Unless someone gives me a better reason for why my case is different, I still maintain my stand that my blackberry z10 uses bis data plan.

Bis not working in z10-mockit_26012014133637.jpg

Please continue.

BIS plan for legacy devices is nothing else as standard data plan, with additional function which adds your device PIN to BlackBerry servers. This was needed for legacy devices, as they could not work without being added to BlackBerry servers. Therefore, if your device was not on BIS, you could not use it for browsing or email even on wifi connection.

Now, new bb10 devices can connect to BlackBerry servers without being added to BlackBerry servers
    It means that you can use your device for email and browse internet even if you have no data plan at all and connect your device to wifi only.

To conclude: BIS 10 is sort of VPN which lets your device to reach internet through BlackBerry servers.
    Bb10 device do not use that.

What you use as BIS is just a standard data plan with BIS function. I mean: if you would just put a sim card to legacy BlackBerry device, it would fire up, because this function, BIS, is enabled. But BB10 devices DO NOT USE THIS FEATURE.

So if you are paying any additional premium for BIS, you should stop. Because you are paying for function which you don't use. Period.

Wanna proof? Put your SIM card to any android or iphone device and it will have data connection!!!!! So since you are on BIS - does it mean it will use BIS?

NO. Because BIS is just a simple data plan with additional feature.

HotFix likes this.
    01-26-14 07:49 AM

Your phone plan has the BIS feature added to it, it's an extra. Your previous phones needed that extra to do certain things. The z10 doesn't need it so now it just sits there doing nothing other than making you spend more money on something you don't need.

It's like having satellite radio in you car. It's there and you are paying for it but if you only list to cds, you just don't need it.
    If you still don't grasp this concept you probably need super ultra BIS. I'll give you a PayPal account to send some money and Ill get you set up.
    01-26-14 08:16 AM
    I am not convinced at all with your explanations. If I put my sim card in any other phone apart from blackberry, I will not have Internet connection.(i have tried this many times)

01-26-14 08:46 AM
    Live it up...
    01-26-14 08:48 AM
    And to also add, I pay very little compared to what I would have paid if I used the so called bb10 plans made available by carriers here.
    And I get to do everything as I would on a bb10 plan.
    BIS - #1,500 with 3gb data allowance
    BB10 - #3,000 with 1.5gb data allowance

01-26-14 08:54 AM
67 123