Maybe you can post your issues on

supportforums.blackberry.com

Posted via CB10
    05-31-13 07:26 AM
    I tried this. My phone has been on the paper shredding screen for about 10 minutes now. Do I need to start pulling my hair out?
    Having done a reset twice in as many days, I can tell you that the "shredding" takes forever - well nearly an hour.

I actually share your frustration. Loved my Z10, found it to be the best OS on any phone (and I've tried a lot). I did experience the "random reboot" issue but I could live with that.

Then came the latest update and moving from personal to work (unlocking) now has a 10 second lag/delay (really, counting 1-steamboat, 2-steamboat...) and the random reboots increased in frequency. My wife told me that my phone rebooted at 3am the other day when she was up during a particularly nasty thunderstorm and I was fast asleep.

Others around me are not having any issues whatsoever. I'm thinking of opening a case with BlackBerry (we have a support contract).
    vjvj likes this.
    05-31-13 07:32 AM
    Good luck with that......
    BB is worthless in the customer service dept.
    I've tried before with a different issue with warranty, with proof of purchase at full price, not a subsidized phone...and all I got was a few headaches and hours of my life I can't get back....
    But, it is BB...so Be bold and wait, keep calm and keep on checking for updates....
    They don't care seriously....you think they really care about averages joes whinning and crying about this that and the other thing?
    Unless you are returning a million+ dollars worth of goods, they might reply then.....
    but really, a couple of phones here and there at the cost of few hundred dollars.....I think they believe its hardly worth their time
    05-31-13 08:28 AM
    Others around me are not having any issues whatsoever. I'm thinking of opening a case with BlackBerry (we have a support contract).
    If you could let me know what they tell you, I'd appreciate it. I am having different issues to you but who knows maybe there could be common fixes.

I have talked up the Z10 a lot since I got it in Feb and now feel stupid for doing so. I can't help but think if only I'd bought an iPhone 5, I'd have just taken it to an Apple store and got them to roll back the OS for me... I'm really not prepared to spend another hour or two wrestling with this problem on a Friday evening/my weekend.
    05-31-13 08:53 AM
    Vjvj I would love to help you. I don't take broken for an answer.

I would love to just grab your phone and set it up so you could just start enjoying it. I honestly think there is nothing wrong with most phones, unless if you are one of the unfortunates that have the random reboot problem. Even some have reported that it got fixed either by an OS update, battery replacements, unit replacement, SD card replacement.

If I was holding your phone right now this is exactly what I would do.

1. Save pictures, music, videos, documents by moving anything from the "device" to "media card". Any game progress will be gone. Remove memory card from device if you want.

2. Save any passwords from password keeper. I would just write them down on a piece of paper. Just make sure you shred it up nicely after.

3. Do a full security wipe on device. Will take 10-15min. Yeah, it does take too long, but BlackBerry doesn't mess with security.

4. Download any new leaks available in the Leaked/beta section. Any kind for any z10 model won't matter since you actually won't be installing it.

5. While that is downloading, I would delete BlackBerry Link from my desktop.

6. Once the autoloader is downloaded, unrar the file to your desktop.

7. I would pull the battery out from your phone. Start the autoloader and a window will open saying "connect to bootrom". With your phone off and battery out, plug your phone to the computer. It will either start writing or ask you for a password that would be your device password.

8. Once you see the autoloader writing, unplug your phone from the computer. This would brick your phone. Your phone won't start. Will have the red led flash 3 times.

9. I would reinstall the latest BlackBerry Link.

10. I would restart your computer and then start BlackBerry Link. Plug your phone in and BlackBerry Link will recognize that your phone is messed up and will offer to restore.

11. Perform the restore. Not sure if your computer needs to be connected to the Internet, but you will see bblink download something.

12. Once it's done installation, bblink will tell you to unplug your phone and follow the on screen setup on your phone.

13. Skip the update for now when you reach the screen saying there is an updated version available.

14. Once done through the tutorial, close the tutorial and swipe left from the home screen, then swipe right, then swipe right, then swipe back to left.

15. Now for contacts. I prefer to not store ALL my contacts in there. SIM cards can hold only a certain amount of details in contact information.

16. I would use my hotmail account to hold all my contacts information. This will have to be done, but only once if you it is done right.

17. Go to the hub and add your email account(s). You will only get the option to sync for 30 days since you don't have 10.1 installed yet. This is good because it syncs your emails pretty fast.

18. Unlink your contacts from the sim card, and from your phone. This will cause multiple contacts for now because the phone is reading from various sources.

19. Only edit the contacts that is only linked to your hotmail or whatever email. Every time you have edited the contact, delete the other contact that is linked to phone (local), and sim card. This way, the phone will now only show you contacts that is from your hotmail contacts.

20. Be patient. Don't have to do them all at the same time.

21. You can start using your phone.
    Or....

22. Do a software update. I can almost guarantee that you will like 10.1

23. Do a software update, and it may do a 2 part download. Let it do its thing.

24. Once the phone restart, you may need to add your email accounts again. The contacts should be fine if you have done it right.

25. If you want to start using the phone for the day, only sync emails up to 30 days.

26. Or you can sync it to forever but this will take a while. It won't necessarily sync by date. It may sync the first few months, and emails 4 years back and nothing in between. Don't worry. It will sync all of it eventually.

27. I would prefer to have it sync through a wifi connection. If you use your phone during this time, it will get hot and you will eat up battery life. Even if it's plugged in, it probably won't charge if you are doing other things on the phone.

28. It may take a couple of hours. Your phone will lag. The duration of syncing will depend on hard you are using the phone.

29. 10.1 has a great new bubble cursor. Tap one side, left, right, top, bottom of the circle to move in single increments.

30. PM me if you have any other questions.

Posted via CB10
    BB_Junky likes this.
    05-31-13 09:08 AM
    I tried this. My phone has been on the paper shredding screen for about 10 minutes now. Do I need to start pulling my hair out?

I bought a blackberry and sacrificed features because I thought it would be stress free and a pleasure to use. I am just now starting to regret my choice.
    why don't you try on someone else's hair first? make sure you really hate the person though
    JK hoefully you manage to solve the problems
    05-31-13 01:37 PM
    Thanks for the very thorough post vgorous. I'd like to avoid bricking my phone if possible so I'm going to do a full wipe again and this time only restore media (so no app data or settings). Let's see if that restores my z10 to its former glory.
    05-31-13 02:32 PM
    Vjvj don't worry. Bricking your phone won't hurt it.

This is the first time I ever bricked a phone. In fact I've never had any experience with bricking or installing leaks before I got this phone.

Bricking the phone is like having the phone or device with a corrupt data. Link will override the phone and just force to reformat the phone completely with a fresh untainted OS.

Very similar to having a hard drive fail because of a virus, or other harmful event. You can still just plug the hard drive back into any pc and it will read it, delete the partition, and reformat the hard drive.

Trust me, I know my sh!t lol.

Posted via CB10
    05-31-13 02:41 PM
    Do you need Windows to do this? I'm on a mac. I'm not afraid of bricking it but it's just such a time consuming process.
    05-31-13 03:08 PM
    Go to waterloo, walk in the front door and ask to speak to Elizabeth, she's usually doing nothing.

Posted via CB10
    05-31-13 03:09 PM
    Hi Vjvj, I'm not sure if autoloader works on Mac OS.

Does mac have DOS ability? When you run autoloader, it opens up a Dos window.

Reinstalling the factory OS only needs BlackBerry Link installed on any computer.

Posted via CB10
    05-31-13 03:12 PM
36 12