Because of my job I travel almost every week to Canada. All provinces. I have a US Verizon Z10 (STL-004), and I got a Virgin Mobile prepaid sim card to use it while in Canada. Well, bummer, the sim card it's not working. I get the "search for network" message on and on and on but never connects. I tried it in Ontario, Quebec, BC and Alberta. The person who gave me the sim card lives in Toronto and said it worked fine with his phone, and I trust him. Therefore, my logical conclusion will be that the GSM frequencies on the STL-004 are limited and probably do not match the ones Virgin Mobile Canada uses.

My question to you guys, what Canadian prepaid sim card will work with my phone and which one has better coverage?

Thanks
    05-10-13 09:30 PM
    Because of my job I travel almost every week to Canada. All provinces. I have a US Verizon Z10 (STL-004), and I got a Virgin Mobile prepaid sim card to use it while in Canada. Well, bummer, the sim card it's not working. I get the "search for network" message on and on and on but never connects. I tried it in Ontario, Quebec, BC and Alberta. The person who gave me the sim card lives in Toronto and said it worked fine with his phone, and I trust him. Therefore, my logical conclusion will be that the GSM frequencies on the STL-004 are limited and probably do not match the ones Virgin Mobile Canada uses.

My question to you guys, what Canadian prepaid sim card will work with my phone and which one has better coverage?

Thanks
    Rogers or Bell

Posted via CB10
    05-10-13 09:46 PM
    Is the VZW Z 10 unlocked?
    05-10-13 09:56 PM
    Yup

PIN 333AE4B3
    Attachment 160374
    zeteo likes this.
    05-10-13 10:02 PM
    I really wasn't very clear. Sorry. Does the VZW Z10 come unlocked like the iPhone 5? Or did it have to be unlocked?
    05-10-13 10:35 PM
    I really wasn't very clear. Sorry. Does the VZW Z10 come unlocked like the iPhone 5? Or did it have to be unlocked?
    It came unlocked just like the iCrap 5
    zeteo likes this.
    05-10-13 10:38 PM
    Virgin mobile in Canada uses the exact same frequencies than Bell. I think it should work on HSPA+ but the LTE band won't work.

Posted via CB10
    05-10-13 10:44 PM
    Virgin mobile in Canada uses the exact same frequencies than Bell. I think it should work on HSPA+ but the LTE band won't work.

Posted via CB10
    It didn't work at all. Not even voice. It just kept looking for network endlessly

PIN 333AE4B3
    05-10-13 10:54 PM
    I think Verizon's partner north of the border is Rogers, as when I took my Storm 2 up to Ontario a few years back it switched to Rogers' network when we crossed the border (before I shut off data services to prevent the roaming raping from commencing). I would assume Rogers is the safest bet in this case.

Thanks for creating this thread, OP, I was actually thinking about this very question earlier today.

Posted via CB10 & loving it!
    05-10-13 11:16 PM
    I think Verizon's partner north of the border is Rogers, as when I took my Storm 2 up to Ontario a few years back it switched to Rogers' network when we crossed the border (before I shut off data services to prevent the roaming raping from commencing). I would assume Rogers is the safest bet in this case.

Thanks for creating this thread, OP, I was actually thinking about this very question earlier today.

Posted via CB10 & loving it!
    Yeah but if the phone is unlocked, it should actually work with any compatible bands.

Bell, Roger, Telus and their discount brand (Virgin, Fido, Telus) all share the same bands now.

Posted via CB10
    05-10-13 11:53 PM
    Rogers only. Verizon's preferred partner in Canada is either Telus or Bell, usually Telus, and on their CDMA networks.

Bell and Telus share an HSPA radio network, but not the network core. They have no legacy GSM, they just started with HSPA. Pretty sure its HSPA on 850 and 1900, which is why that Virgin Mobile SIM doesn't see a network at all - it's looking for the combined "Bellus" network. That network is invisible to an STL-004. Originally I was going to buy a Verizon blackberry but saw that it only supports HSPA/UMTS(900/2100). That means 2g GSM coverage only in North America with EDGE speeds maximum, or Verizon's CDMA roaming partners.

Rogers prepaid for sure will work but the fastest data you'll get is EDGE as there is no HSPA 900/2100 coverage anywhere in North America. If you don't want to deal with Robbers directly and use another prepaid brand, your choices are likely to be these brands as they use the Robbers network. You'll get 2g GSM/GPRS/EDGE data or data throughput of around 150kb/s at the very maximum.
    Look at:
    Prepaid Cell Phones | No Contract Phones | SpeakOut? 7-Eleven Canada
    chatr wireless - no worries - talk happy™ (Really just Robbers)
    Cityfone Cell Phones
    DCI Wireless - DCI Telecom
    Mobile phones, plans and more reasons to love Fido | Fido.ca (Really just Robbers)
    Last edited by zowwie85; 05-11-13 at 12:26 AM.
    00stryder likes this.
    05-11-13 12:15 AM
    Petro Canada
    05-11-13 12:24 AM
    Rogers only. Verizon's preferred partner in Canada is either Telus or Bell, usually Telus, and on their CDMA networks.

Bell and Telus share an HSPA radio network, but not the network core. They have no legacy GSM, they just started with HSPA. Pretty sure its HSPA on 850 and 1900, which is why that Virgin Mobile SIM doesn't see a network at all - it's looking for the combined "Bellus" network. That network is invisible to an STL-004. Originally I was going to buy a Verizon blackberry but saw that it only supports HSPA/UMTS(900/2100). That means 2g GSM coverage only in North America with EDGE speeds maximum, or Verizon's CDMA roaming partners.

Rogers prepaid for sure will work but the fastest data you'll get is EDGE as there is no HSPA 900/2100 coverage anywhere in North America. If you don't want to deal with Robbers directly and use another prepaid brand, your choices are likely to be these brands as they use the Robbers network. You'll get 2g GSM/GPRS/EDGE data or data throughput of around 150kb/s at the very maximum.
    Look at:
    Prepaid Cell Phones | No Contract Phones | SpeakOut? 7-Eleven Canada
    chatr wireless - no worries - talk happy (Really just Robbers)
    Cityfone Cell Phones
    DCI Wireless - DCI Telecom
    Mobile phones, plans and more reasons to love Fido | Fido.ca (Really just Robbers)
    Thank you for your awesome answer

PIN 333AE4B3
    05-11-13 01:09 PM