??? ... how. you can't return more than you sell.... its a fabricated article.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.0.1803
    Lmao exactly...." I got this phone through rogers, I know this is telus but I just want to get rid of it" lol how stupid!

BlackBerry forever, haters never!
    12-05-13 08:46 PM
    Wow, this company is out hustled from top to bottom by the competition. And they sure make it easy for them.
    12-05-13 08:59 PM
    Was the sales guy warning like this?

Yes it probably was, I got my phone at future shop and the sales guy told me twice how he sold his Q10 and got an iPhone. He tried suggesting some android but mentioned his iPhone twice. He had nothing good to say to me about the phone at all, seemed more blown away I wanted a BlackBerry

Posted via my Q5 and loving 10.2.1.1055
    12-05-13 09:17 PM
    Yes it probably was, I got my phone at future shop and the sales guy told me twice how he sold his Q10 and got an iPhone. He tried suggesting some android but mentioned his iPhone twice. He had nothing good to say to me about the phone at all, seemed more blown away I wanted a BlackBerry

I don't believe he sold his Q10 to get an iPhone, I think you got fed a line of horse manure.

It's funny to hear how important it is for reps to sell anyone on a particular manufacturer, it's almost like a religion for them. In the grand scheme of things they're just phones. It's not like the difference between an iPhone, Android phone or BlackBerry is going to effect a major change in anyone's life... That would be beyond pathetic.
    12-05-13 09:32 PM

I bet he never had a Q10... rofl

Z10STL100-3/10.2.0.1803
    12-05-13 09:33 PM

That's the kind of stuff that should go up to their manager. I understand, and can't really complain, if someone comes in not knowing what they want and being recommended Android or Apple. But when a customer specifically asks for a BlackBerry the rep shouldn't be trying to talk them out of it.

Z10 STL100-3 | 10.2.1.1055 | Bell | via CB10
    12-05-13 09:34 PM
    That's the kind of stuff that should go up to their manager. I understand, and can't really complain, if someone comes in not knowing what they want and being recommended Android or Apple. But when a customer specifically asks for a BlackBerry the rep shouldn't be trying to talk them out of it.

The funny stories are the ones where the reps laugh at people... What school of idiocy did these pimple faced rejects graduate from?

Maybe I'm old school but if a customer walks into a shop, the key is to make a sale, not alienate them... What moron laughs at a person who walks into their store asking for a BlackBerry? If I was the franchise owner, I'd quickly fire any dead weight minimum wage cockup that allowed his personal opinions to override the customer's choice.

It's a business. The customer is key, whatever they want is more important than some recently hired (and easily replaced) post-pubescent.
    HaberNik likes this.
    12-05-13 09:52 PM
    Without reading the article, im going to pose the question: how is it possible to have more returns than sales? I'm assuming they mean over a certain period.. Still a little bit of a strange headline..
    One possibility, Sales count if they stay sold. Ones returned go in the returns category.

Sell 4, get 3 returned -> 1 sold, 3 returns.
    look_alive likes this.
    12-05-13 10:31 PM

If done tactfully, it is 100% sensible for a salesperson to point out why someone might not want to buy something they came in and asked specifically for. You'd be surprised how many times people swear they know exactly what they need, but are wrong.

I used to flat out tell people not to buy several things, the Kyocera Echo (dual screens!) and one of our cheap android tablets were two easy ones. I had a good reason to, they were terrible.
    12-05-13 10:34 PM
    Most people don't really care what kind of phone they get. So when that "pimple faced moron" recommends a device they go for it. I mean he is "the expert" right?

I remember watching an interview from pre-BB10 launch with Frank Boulben and in it he explained part of his strategy was that early adopters would persuade friends and family to choose BB10. Well that annoyed me. That's his job, not mine. Because no matter how tech-savvy my friends perceive me that pimple faced kid at the store is still the expert.

For the record, I've convinced one friend to get a Z10. My wife would love to get a Q10 but she's under contract for another year.

007Storm likes this.
    12-05-13 10:43 PM
    You really can't tell these days unless you specifically ask that question.

Furthermore, I can assure everyone on this post, this is not how reps are trained by Bell to respond or act with clients, I speak from former experience. As a matter of fact, Bell Corporate Store reps are often referred to as consultants because their job function is to do just that....consult. They certainly are not there to make random remarks without bases. They are there to engage clients that walk through that door and assess what has brought them in with a series of fact finding questions. Once they have a prudent amount of information, they can make suggestions and recommend products or services. Ultimately, if a customer is adamit on a product that is not recommended, you can offer a final in closing suggestion as to why you would not recommend it based on the info you've acquired but you still need to shut up and sell what is being asked of you at the end.

This is a case of bad judgment or even worse an untrained consultant giving opinion instead of consultation.

From my Z10 to YOU, BOO-YAH!
    Agreed 100% I just chock it up too bad sales technique! Hey! Some agents are great and most not so great. I'm a customer care agent for one of the big telecom giants and even I have to correct other employees. Why would you ever steer the customer to a negative sales experience and lose the sale. Sales drives the business and if a manager was there I guarantee you he would have been spoken to. This sales reps sounds uninformed and uneducated!

Ps>I hate apple products and culture but I would never intentionally lose a sale! I went in to an Apple store to purchase a set of NOCS headsets, and I was standing around wanting to pay, then to my shock the chick in the back asked me if I needed any help and told me to go find a sales rep that wasn't busy to help me! I walked out briskly!

Posted Via CB10/SQN100-3 luvn leak 10.2.1.1055
    Last edited by cellphonejunkey; 12-05-13 at 11:20 PM.
    12-05-13 10:52 PM
    Most people don't really care what kind of phone they get. So when that "pimple faced moron" recommends a device they go for it. I mean he is "the expert" right?

I remember watching an interview from pre-BB10 launch with Frank Boulben and in it he explained part of his strategy was that early adopters would persuade friends and family to choose BB10. Well that annoyed me. That's his job, not mine. Because no matter how tech-savvy my friends perceive me that pimple faced kid at the store is still the expert.

For the record, I've convinced one friend to get a Z10. My wife would love to get a Q10 but she's under contract for another year.

You're absolutely right, people that march into Best Buy, etc. tend to go with the "pimple faced moron".

When it comes to other lifestyle choices they'd never listen to these "life-challenged" morons. But when it comes to tech, for some unfortunate reason, they do.

WHY? It's a mystery to me. And I'm not saying that just from a pro-BlackBerry point of view. Long before I switched from iPhone to BlackBerry I felt this way...
    12-05-13 10:53 PM
    Agreed 100% I just chock it up too bad sales technique! Hey! Some agents are great and most not so great. I'm a customer care agent for one of the big telecom giants and even I have to correct other employees. Why would you ever steer the customer to a negative sales experience and lose the sale. Sales drives the business and if a manager was there I guarantee you he would have been spoken to. This sales reps sounds uninformed and uneducated!

Ps>I hate apple products and culture but I would never intentionally lose a sale! I went in to an Apple store to purchase a set of NOCS headsets, and I was standing around wanting to pay the chick in the back asked me if I needed any help and told me to go find a sales rep that wasn't busy to help me! I walked out briskly!

Thanks for pointing that out, nice to hear from someone who actually works in the field!

A real sales agent that was worth their salt would sell a BlackBerry, iPhone, Android or Windows phone and never blink an eye. And they'd do it with a smile on their face and leave the customer walking away thinking they'd made the best decision of their life.
    laketrout73 likes this.
    12-05-13 11:01 PM
    The Bell sales...guy was doing everything he could to deter my girlfriend from switching from her iPhone 4 to the Z30 (she has never had a BlackBerry before and has rightfully been apprehensive about buying it, she considered the Note 3 before until she tried it.) The guy annoying went ahead and transferred everything from her iPhone to the Z30, which took about 45 minutes as she had every photo and video she ever took... This guy was anything but professional.

So during this time we were off to the side looking at other phones and accessories. I was explaining to her a few of the features of her new phone, which only made her want it even more. We get to the part about comparing the fingerprint sensor on the iPhone, standard picture passwords and the upcoming cryptographic picture password on BB10 and her face lights up. And other customers perk up, some distracted from their purchase. And sales....guy glares at me.

Should have asked to see the manager. I'm pretty sure I could have been hired on the spot.
    R Field and 007Storm like this.
    12-05-13 11:16 PM
    *fired

Z10STL100-3/10.2.0.1803
    jusaread likes this.
    12-05-13 11:47 PM
    The guy annoying went ahead and transferred everything from her iPhone to the Z30, which took about 45 minutes as she had every photo and video she ever took... This guy was anything but professional.
    That guy did your girlfriend a huge favor by transferring all of her personal content from one phone to the other.
    12-06-13 01:08 AM
    Wasn't the same experience I had going into the Bell Store at the Toronto Eatons Centre for a new Router model/FIBE TV package. The rep as he was processing my transaction had the Q10 as his personal device and really liked it. He even called head office to get me a discount on the bundle and I didn't even ask for it. I showed him the features of 10.2 from the leak before it was released officially.

Sorry to hear your interaction was so unprofessional. Seems like this is a huge problem to BlackBerry gaining traction besides their inability to properly market device if reps are actively turning people away from the device that's a major problem. Seems like they need much better education on the subject. This is a far too common thread. It's one thing to point out a devices shortcomings and totally another to be unobjective with the other devices.

Z10 (Z30 inbound) | 10.2.1.1055 | C0006E212
    12-06-13 02:16 AM

Ps>I hate apple products and culture but I would never intentionally lose a sale! I went in to an Apple store to purchase a set of NOCS headsets, and I was standing around wanting to pay, then to my shock the chick in the back asked me if I needed any help and told me to go find a sales rep that wasn't busy to help me! I walked out briskly!

Wish more reps had your mindset this is how it should be done.

Z10 (Z30 inbound) | 10.2.1.1055 | C0006E212
    12-06-13 02:22 AM
    ...Now as he was looking at possibly switching to the samsung I pulled out my z10 and said why don't you switch to blackberry.

At this point this is when the sales guy litterly yells at the top of his voice no not a blackberry!!!
    Were you interrupting them? Sounds like you were interrupting them.
    12-06-13 07:34 AM
    Hey folks how's it going. Just thought I'd share my mall experience last night. So as I was walking in the mall I bumped into a friend of mine in those kiosk stores located in the middle of the hallway. He shows me his iPhone that not only was cracked but concaved. Lol

He was pissed that rogers his current provider wasn't helping him out much on getting another one so he says I'm going to Bell. Now as he was looking at possibly switching to the samsung I pulled out my z10 and said why don't you switch to blackberry.

At this point this is when the sales guy litterly yells at the top of his voice no not a blackberry!!!

I was at first shocked and surprised to be honest with his reaction. I look up at him and say REALLY pretty loud as well. But this time the mall Santa didn't turn around and look over as he did last time!

The sales guy then just turned around after my vocal expression and pretended he got busy doing stuff. I laughed and told my buddy good luck with his decision and I walked away.

Cheers.
    Talk to the stores manager and let the store manager you will take his or hers employee's behaviour up with Bell. Bell stores and kiosks are all owned privately by people, Bell doesn't own them. The owners must abide by Bell's rules and regulations for reselling Bell devices. If a franchisee does something that harms Bell in anyway such as a employee acting out like this one did Bell can legally terminate their franchise contract.

It's costs 10 if not 100's of thousands to be a cell phone franchisee these days so the owners don't want to see their lives work being harmed.

I know the cost because I worked for a company who wanted to be a franchise and looked at Bell, Rogers and Telus back then in 2002 they wanted about $40k upfront before they would even look at you.
    12-06-13 08:35 AM
    ..... I remember watching an interview from pre-BB10 launch with Frank Boulben and in it he explained part of his strategy was that early adopters would persuade friends and family to choose BB10. Well that annoyed me. That's his job, not mine. Because no matter how tech-savvy my friends perceive me that pimple faced kid at the store is still the expert......
    This might have worked if the product had been better or had improved more quickly. Coming from a 9650, my Z10 was a wonder to behold - the browser was very quick and responsive. The Hub was a great feature and the way thing worked together was impressive. That said, I knew that iOS and Android were already doing many of these things, to one degree or another. Without only having 4hrs of battery life and rebooting once or twice a day. That first month was a beta nightmare gone bad. Granted they did fix the rebooting issue and battery life did improve (along with having a portable recharger). But the App Gap didn't improve - everyone I know uses Instagram today, and there are several other apps that different people have and use on a daily basis that we didn't have and still don't have. Unless you want to install go into Sideloading, Tokens, Converting...... or maybe a leaked OS and 3rd Party Apps or Stores to get APK that don't all work and don't all work 100%. It appears that we may soon have the App problem fixed - I'm assuming that 10.2.2.xxx will have an offical APK app store access and that more API will be working within six months. By that time there should be replacements for the Z10 and the Q10 and maybe us early adopters can persuade friends without them having a conversation stopper like "can I play CandyCrush" and our response requiring pages of instructions and screenshots and diagrams, and still having to say that "you can't buy stuff within the app".

I don't blame any store reps for their aversion to BlackBerry devices, they, their managers and the companies they work for have a much better understanding of what the average person wants than we do. Now laughing at someone is not acceptable...
    12-06-13 09:04 AM
    It's a bull**** article and they are known to bash BlackBerry to push the stock down.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.0.1803
    So, the BILLION DOLLAR write down of the Z10's that came two months later was also a fabrication? Gotcha.

In addition to the Wall Street Journal, this was also reported by Business Insider, Barrons, eWeek, Cnet, and the Financial Post based on the quarterly reports of the carriers.

There are more Z10's sitting in warehouses than there are in people's hands. And yes, many of those are returns, and can be verified by the various carrier's quarterly reports.

And to answer the question, "how can returns be higher than sales"? That's because in accrual accounting a return doesn't count as a sale. If I sell four Z10's and three of them are returned, then that nets me "1 sale and 3 returns."
    12-06-13 10:53 AM
    Okay, don't leave us hanging...what did your friend end up doing/buying?
    Survey says.......... Apple!!

Posted via CB10
    12-06-13 01:07 PM
    Perhaps now that Bell has the Z30 at $0 for a two year contract
    Seems like that was a one-day deal, or perhaps a mistake on their website because it's $49 now. I was in the store the day it was showing as $0 and the Bell salesperson insisted it was $49.

What I don't understand is why the Q10 is $99 on all carriers when the Z10 and Z30 are between $0 and $49, depending where you go.
    12-06-13 03:03 PM
    You could be right... Id say its more like 4 sold 3 returned. But that isnt as catchy as a headline I guess.

One possibility, Sales count if they stay sold. Ones returned go in the returns category.

Sell 4, get 3 returned -> 1 sold, 3 returns.
    12-06-13 03:22 PM
79 1234