Well your issue is completely different. You are on the old plan, and it is not LTE capable. Most phones made today are not CDMA either. So, you are on a very old plan, I used to have it too. This is different though then using a normal smartphone plan on a Z10
    I'm pretty sure it could still be done if they wanted to. I remember when Bell was making the transition to SIM cards, I was still on the 8830 with unlimited BIS plan I was continuously told that I would not able to transfer my unlimited plan to 3G/HSPA because it was only for CDMA BlackBerry's only. Finally I got a knowledgable rep and was able to do whatever provisioning needed for me to transfer my plan for use on a 9780. I could be wrong but I don't see how plans could be specific to a type of technology, it's just Bell wanting to get users off those grandfathered plans.
    02-13-13 10:56 AM
    Should we blame on carriers or BB? i mean who we should report it to to make things better
    Carriers are to blame for trying to extract every possible dollar from their subscribers. That said, they are for profit entities.

I don't think BlackBerry can do much about it. See my long post in the thread titled Ding Dong BIS is dead.

Your best recourse is to complain to the government regulator overseeing the specific carrier that's trying to gouge you.

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    02-13-13 10:59 AM
    I'm pretty sure it could still be done if they wanted to. I remember when Bell was making the transition to SIM cards, I was still on the 8830 with unlimited BIS plan I was continuously told that I would not able to transfer my unlimited plan to 3G/HSPA because it was only for CDMA BlackBerry's only. Finally I got a knowledgable rep and was able to do whatever provisioning needed for me to transfer my plan for use on a 9780. I could be wrong but I don't see how plans could be specific to a type of technology, it's just Bell wanting to get users off those grandfathered plans.
    Carriers certainly do have the technology to apply marketing restrictions of their offerings through the actual technical details of data plans to enforce their policies.

scooby103 likes this.
    02-13-13 11:02 AM
    Carriers certainly do have the technology to apply marketing restrictions of their offerings through the actual technical details of data plans to enforce their policies.

Is Bell applying it because they want to (to get rid of old plans) or is it an actual restriction? Two different things...

If and when I decide to switch to BB10, it's going to be interesting how everything turns out. From a BlackBerry to BlackBerry switch, there shouldn't be a problem but getting the old grandfathered unlimited plan to work with LTE (apparently it's hit/miss with some users) that's going to be fun to watch.
    jennyt88 likes this.
    02-13-13 11:06 AM
    lol seems like BB will lose many market because of that
    02-13-13 11:07 AM
    Is Bell applying it because they want to (to get rid of old plans) or is it an actual restriction? Two different things...

If and when I decide to switch to BB10, it's going to be interesting how everything turns out. From a BlackBerry to BlackBerry switch, there shouldn't be a problem but getting the old grandfathered unlimited plan to work with LTE (apparently it's hit/miss with some users) that's going to be fun to watch.
    Agreed.

02-13-13 11:12 AM
    lol seems like BB will lose many market because of that
    No. BlackBerry will continue losing market share as long as BlackBerry users don't make carriers profits at least proportionally equivalent to what the carriers are able to make on other smartphone users.

The limited info out there says that carriers make the least on BlackBerry subscribers on a per-user basis than any other *smartphone* platform currently offered.

Don't be surprised if BlackBerry still can't make it if everyone demands to keep a $10/month data plan and still use a Z10 on carrier networks.

02-13-13 11:18 AM
    @ktr04 I'd like to believe that but at this point.......

The fact that the Bell rep tried to convince me I wouldn't be getting LTE on Rogers or Telus was pretty sad to be honest, either he was lying or he did not know what he was talking about.

As for Bell sucking, yes, very much so. The only reason I am still with them is because I am loathe to give up my unlimited plan as I never EVER see it coming back. At least not for the price I am paying anyways. No, my family and myself have had nothing but headaches from bell. Sent in a phone under that warranty thing, took 2 months and then they said that that phone wasn't available anymore and when we came back with the only real comparable phone they said we couldn't do that due to it being on the newer network vs the old cdma one. Ended up being forced to cancel as the phone they were offering were not even comparable to the one we had before. I'm sorry but it really don't matter what network the phone is on, charged us for service too that entire time Bell had the phone too. And that's just one example of the rear side pain Bell has caused us.
    Some reps are idiots lol. I'm actually a sales rep for Bell as well. I've heard some horror stories about repairs and stuff and the cdma phone is an actual excuse, because if you change the serial number of the phone on the account, features can drop off. Sorry to hear you've had so many problems
    02-13-13 11:20 AM
    Are you on bell? I don't think so. You would be the first person who has successfully used a BIS plan on a normal smartphone. Regardless of that, it's Bell's practice of lying to customers about the capabilities of the Z10, and forcing is into crappier plans where the problem is.

If you have a BIS plan, please show screen shots of it working in both a Z10 and a normal smartphone please.

Yes, I'm on Bell, when I'm at work today I'll try and get some pics or a video for you.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk 2
    Yes, I'm on Bell. If you still want screen shots or something, I'll try to get some at work later.
    02-13-13 11:22 AM
    I am on Bell .. so how do you contact the Loyalty Dept ? When I switch to a BB10 device from my 9900 ... what should I ask for ?

Currently I have "Blackberry Personal Email & Internet 500MB "

Thanks
    Bell Loyalty Dept is the retention dept. Call 1-800-313-1086 and tell them that you are thinking of upgrading your phone to a Z10 and would like more data and you know people that have been getting the 6GB data plan for $30 and ask if they can give it to you. There's a thread going around on Crackberry about this.
    02-13-13 11:23 AM

I think Bell wants to get rid of the old plans so they are not giving LTEs to users on the old plans. Are there users out there who were lucky and got LTE on their unlimited plans? I would like to know how they got it.
    02-13-13 11:27 AM
    I got it to work on a Bell Incredible S. When my 9780 screen went out, I had to use a spare Incredible S for a week before I found a 9900 on Craigslist. It worked without any problems so it is possible. I should note that it depends on what plan you might have if it doesn't work. I know there was a time where Bell introduced BlackBerry specific plans (BBM only or e-mail only or those social networking only plans) and during that time, only appropriate data plans worked on specific phones.
    02-13-13 11:27 AM
    I think Bell wants to get rid of the old plans so they are not giving LTEs to users on the old plans. Are there users out there who were lucky and got LTE on their unlimited plans? I would like to know how they got it.
    I'm just waiting for someone to say they got it to work and I don't doubt someone will eventually get it to work. Again, it was the same story from going from CDMA to HSPA. Bell was saying it wasn't possible and the plan was incompatible with their new network trying to get those with the unlimited BIS 30 plan off it.
    02-13-13 11:30 AM
    I'm just waiting for someone to say they got it to work and I don't doubt someone will eventually get it to work. Again, it was the same story from going from CDMA to HSPA. Bell was saying it wasn't possible and the plan was incompatible with their new network trying to get those with the unlimited BIS 30 plan off it.
    I'm pretty sure the old CDMA plans don't work on the new devices/network. My manager and coworkers who have been there longer than me have always told me it won't work, so don't put it on. That being said, I've never tried it. I'll try adding a feature tonight and see if it works.
    02-13-13 11:35 AM
    I'm pretty sure the old CDMA plans don't work on the new devices/network. My manager and coworkers who have been there longer than me have always told me it won't work, so don't put it on. That being said, I've never tried it. I'll try adding a feature tonight and see if it works.
    Say you were making a jump to CDMA to LTE, I could see how Bell would (try to) prevent that. But if you went from CDMA to HSPA, I don't see why they would see it as an old CDMA plan, I'd figure it would be just any current HSPA plan and making the jump to LTE would be no problem. The only problem I see is the fact that a user has the unlimited plan and Bell sees that and wants to get that user off.

Again, I'm just waiting for someone to actually try and see what happens.
    02-13-13 11:40 AM
    Just to add to this, I had one of those grandfathered unlimited data plans but honestly I never really used enough data to warrant not being able to leverage some of the goodies that come with the capped plans. Some time ago with my previous BlackBerry Bold 9900, Bell Loyalty department talked me into a 6 GB plan and I'm paying $70.00 + tax for it. I have included a screenshot of it below. One of the biggest things that got me into the 6GB plan was the ability to tether (use my phone as a modem). I could do it on the other plan, but not "legally"....it involved some workarounds and third-party software such as that found at Tethering for BlackBerry, iPhone & Android | Tether.com (assuming they still exist). Bell was quite good to me through the switchover and offered me free call waiting and Message Centre Express. It's also a *shared* data plan which means that I can share my data with my wife and two kids. The most I've ever used was 3 GB and that was last month and only after a concerted effort on my part to tether, stream music and videos, etc. I don't know what the data usage now that I'm not using BIS with the Z10 but so far so good. I bought the phone outright on 5 February since I was only going to save about $300 if I used my early upgrade option and I would've been locked into another 3 year contract.

Anyway, I'm not a Bell fanboy, but my experience with them is that if I talk politely to them they tend to find lots of ways to save me money.
    Bell BlackBerry Z10 on Smartphone data plan not working-bell-6gb-plan.jpg
    reeneebob and jakie55 like this.
    02-13-13 11:46 AM
    Got a z10 phone with Virgin and now they are telling me that I cannot hook it up to my current plan either. I have to go with a $100 a month plan. Only the bell phones are locked with this APN. Why isn't blackberry going after them. It's hurting them the most.

scooby103 likes this.
    02-13-13 11:47 AM
    So playing with Bell Self-Serve online, if you don't have a compatible data plan, will it flag or give you a warning if you try to upgrade? I went through the site like I was going to upgrade (stopping at the point where I actually accept the changes for the upgrade to be finalized) and my plan remained the same. Is this one of those things where the site will allow you to upgrade but when you actually get the phone, it's not guaranteed to work?
    02-13-13 11:54 AM
    So playing with Bell Self-Serve online, if you don't have a compatible data plan, will it flag or give you a warning if you try to upgrade? I went through the site like I was going to upgrade (stopping at the point where I actually accept the changes for the upgrade to be finalized) and my plan remained the same. Is this one of those things where the site will allow you to upgrade but when you actually get the phone, it's not guaranteed to work?
    From previous posts, it sounds like the answer to this is Yes.

02-13-13 12:00 PM
    Got a z10 phone with Virgin and now they are telling me that I cannot hook it up to my current plan either. I have to go with a $100 a month plan. Only the bell phones are locked with this APN. Why isn't blackberry going after them. It's hurting them the most.

Please see up-thread.

02-13-13 12:01 PM
    Say you were making a jump to CDMA to LTE, I could see how Bell would (try to) prevent that. But if you went from CDMA to HSPA, I don't see why they would see it as an old CDMA plan, I'd figure it would be just any current HSPA plan and making the jump to LTE would be no problem. The only problem I see is the fact that a user has the unlimited plan and Bell sees that and wants to get that user off.

Again, I'm just waiting for someone to actually try and see what happens.
    I don't know if it's the same nowadays, but about 3 years ago I went CDMA->GSM from a BlackBerry Curve 8330 to the (then new) Bold 9700. My unlimited data plan got ported over as did all my other features and there was no change in my price. I would think it would be easier for Bell for customers going from GSM/HSPA+ to LTE because it's still SIM card technology. Just an additional radio for LTE.
    02-13-13 12:01 PM
    This is being posted from my Sgs3 using the HSPA+ network (we don't have lte here) using the z10 demo sim card with a BIS plan. So yes, having a BIS plan is useable in other phones.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by reeneebob; 02-13-13 at 12:28 PM.
    02-13-13 12:15 PM
    Yes, I'm on Bell. If you still want screen shots or something, I'll try to get some at work later.
    Yup, screenshots. No one has been able to get a smartphone plan to work on the Z10, nor a BIS plan to work on smartphones. If you can do it, you have found a loop hole. Keep in mind there is no reason why this WOULDN'T work, but Bell is putting roadblocks and restrictions.
    02-13-13 12:22 PM
    Yup, screenshots. No one has been able to get a smartphone plan to work on the Z10, nor a BIS plan to work on smartphones. If you can do it, you have found a loop hole. Keep in mind there is no reason why this WOULDN'T work, but Bell is putting roadblocks and restrictions.
    I JUST posted using a BIS plan in my Galaxy s 3 and I had a BIS plan working on my iPhone for 6 months. Not sure what more you want. All I did was put the sim card in my GS3 and power it up and it immediately connected. The only difference between the two is that with the iPhone being pda2.bell.ca you have to go to unlockit.Co.Nz and install the alternate bell apn of pda.bell.ca and after that it works but mms doesn't. Any other phone it works flawlessly.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2
    ktr04 likes this.
    02-13-13 12:24 PM
    I'm going to swap SIMs from my Z10 with my daughter's iPhone 4s when I get home tonight from work. Might not be necessary given reeneebob's post above, but I'm curious.
    02-13-13 12:29 PM
446 ... 7891011 ...