So.... to keep using my unlimited data plan and not changing not only do I have to buy my phone outright but I have to buy it from someone other than Bell. Well..... I hate Bell..... but all other plans are complete rubbish out there currently, 1GB of data MAX for what I'm paying right now from any carrier and that's the barebones plan as well. Owell, for unlimited I am going to jump through ever hoop I need to.
    02-10-13 08:22 PM
    Wrong! APN is not hard-coded on the phone it is provisioned on the SIM. Talk to someone at Bell's tech support and they will tell you.
    02-10-13 08:28 PM
    Z10 APN cannot be changed on Bell...locked phone or unlocked, put the Bell SIM in, and it automatically populates as blackberry.net, and if you don't have BIS you don't have mobile data.

More interesting news from Blackberry Technical Support:

Details:
    BlackBerry Z10- Customer wants to know if he will need a BIS plan for a BlackBerry 10..

Resolution:
    Advised the customer that he needs a BIS plan for his BlackBerry 10 device

Would really like to get a Z10, but can't give up my unlimited data...\
    02-11-13 10:54 AM
    I was really looking for my Q10. Bell in making it impossible! This will hurt Blackberry again.
    02-11-13 11:03 AM
    No. I will not accept this. I will not be bullied by Bell. This is unacceptable, the only carrier to require this. I need to find ways to combat this before I receive my Z10.

Bell be warned. I am coming for you. I will fight you tooth and nail to keep my current plan and if I cannot, if I lose.... well if I do have to change my plan there's always Rogers and Telus.
    02-12-13 12:00 AM
    Has anyone confirmed whether a Bell Blackberry data sim for Z10 works interchangeably with an Android/Iphone?
    02-12-13 01:24 AM
    This is interesting. Although I'm not someone who switches sim over to different phones, I have gotten a Z10 on an existing blackberry social plan which only includes social networking in terms of the data. I've talked to Bell but haven't made any changes to my plan as of yet. I thought that my data would not work without wifi on my current plan but it turns out today that it is in fact working like regular data and not just social networking. I am looking forward to following up with bell to see if I'm being charged per MB use on the data and if not I might just stick to my current social plan for 40$. When I tried using the data, I just reloaded fb and twitter but was surprised that any Web page would also load. When using it without wifi I get a "H" and the blackberry data symbol beside it so I'm not entirely sure of what that means however.

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    pcguy514 likes this.
    02-12-13 03:37 AM
    telus is offering unlimited local talk,long distance, sms and 1 gig of data for $80.00 and koodo which is still telus the same plan for $60.00.no BB plan
    02-12-13 07:35 AM
    I am also on Bell and have an old unlimited BB data plan for $30/month. No one in the stores have been able to tell me if I upgrade whether or not I can keep my existing plan. They only way to guarantee it is to buy the phone outright. It is a corporate plan so I'm going through a 3rd party service provider Worldlynx Wireless and when ordering the phone on 3 yr contract for $139.95 it gave the option to select Keep Existing Data Plan. I ordered on Thursday February 7th and haven't heard a thing other than an initial email saying your order has been received and will be processed shortly. Originally there was a pending charge on my credit card (online statement) but that seems to have disappeared. Hoping I don't have to shell out the $649.95 that Bell wants. I'd buy from Koodo for $550 and get it unlocked.
    02-12-13 08:07 AM
    .... When using it without wifi I get a "H" and the blackberry data symbol beside it so I'm not entirely sure of what that means however...
    Capital "H" means you are streaming data thru the network. Bell use to have an app called "Bell Self Serve" that would let you monitor data usage, I guess it hasn't been tweaked to run on BB10 yet. I would call cust. care just to make sure your not going to get over charged.
    02-12-13 09:38 AM
    Capital "H" means you are streaming data thru the network. Bell use to have an app called "Bell Self Serve" that would let you monitor data usage, I guess it hasn't been tweaked to run on BB10 yet. I would call cust. care just to make sure your not going to get over charged.
    This exists on the Z10. It is a part of the "Sim Services" app.
    02-12-13 10:31 AM
    For clarification, it is Bell who is making us do this, and it is very simple. You just call them and ask them to put the proper provisioning on your sim card. It takes 5 minutes and everything is great. You do not need to switch plans.

And the APN Settings are on the sim, they are NOT hard coded in to the Z10's like someone mentioned above. So if you unlock it to use it on another network it will be fine.
    I have bell and this is what they said they had to do "proper provisioning on your sim card" to make this work and it doesn't cost anything.
    02-12-13 10:52 AM
    The Self Serve app is now working through the "Sim Services", just tried it. Also just got off the phone with Bell and asked them to take a look at my data usage and see if they see any extra charges and so far it's all good. I'm still using all my data through my old BlackBerry Social plan which only allows social networking but as of now for some reason I am able to use all the data features without having to change anything. Will continue to monitor my usage and see how it goes.

02-12-13 11:16 AM
    Has anyone confirmed whether a Bell Blackberry data sim for Z10 works interchangeably with an Android/Iphone?
    I'll throw our demo sim into my phone tomorrow and post back, if you would like...

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2
    02-12-13 11:18 AM
    I'll throw our demo sim into my phone tomorrow and post back, if you would like...

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2
    A SIM from a Z10 demo phone into a Samsung? That would be great if you could do that and report back.
    02-12-13 12:52 PM
    The Self Serve app is now working through the "Sim Services", just tried it. Also just got off the phone with Bell and asked them to take a look at my data usage and see if they see any extra charges and so far it's all good. I'm still using all my data through my old BlackBerry Social plan which only allows social networking but as of now for some reason I am able to use all the data features without having to change anything. Will continue to monitor my usage and see how it goes.

A similar anomaly worked on CDMA with opera browser. Basically allowing unlimited data on a social plan.

Bell thinks your data will be restricted to social by service books at the NOC. They don't watch your data usage because they think it's impossible . I hope that they stay dumb to it. *You lucky bastid*
    02-12-13 12:52 PM
    This exists on the Z10. It is a part of the "Sim Services" app.
    that's just a link to their mobile website
    02-12-13 12:55 PM
    that's just a link to their mobile website
    Does the trick though, for the guy who was looking for his usage.
    02-12-13 01:04 PM
    Does the trick though, for the guy who was looking for his usage.
    yea i use it daily.
    02-12-13 01:26 PM
    Has anyone called Blackberry's own support and confirmed what Bell is saying? I mean get it straight from the horses mouth, and then go back to bell?

My take is that Bell is well within their rights to do what they are doing. It is there decision if they want to charge more for whatever they want. However blaming Blackberry and saying that BIS is needed for the Z10 to work properly is devious at best, and all all out lie in reality. I'm sure Bell wouldn't be happy if Blackberry said something like "Our new Z10 had an MSRP of $200 but Bell requires special features to work on their network so we had to price it higher for all providers", and that's essentially the same thing.
    02-12-13 01:46 PM
    sounds like Bell sucks,,,is that really true?
    02-12-13 02:01 PM
    sounds like Bell sucks,,,is that really true?
    That they suck? Yes.
    02-12-13 03:15 PM
    I've had the same problem as you chriswong11, but when I renewed my contract with Bell, they changed my smartphone data into bb data. After reading about it as well, I asked Bell to switch it back and they did. My Z10's data then didn't work and I talked to their Network Service department to figure out what the deal is. They said that there are two options with the Z10: I can either have a blackberry phone plan and then the smartphone data plan will work or if I have a regular phone plan (or a corporate plan in my case that cannot be changed to a BB phone plan) I then have to use BB data. I don't fully understand that, but I guess it has to do with BB network. So that's the deal and I'm back on BB data. Bell was great at changing everything, but that was a very complicated experience. I'm lucky that I love the phone!
    02-12-13 06:54 PM
    I havent talked to tech support or retentions yet but every Bell rep I have spoken to has said that it is currently impossible to keep using my plan if I get a Z10. I brought up the argument that this seems to be a Bell only requirement and neither Rogers nor Telus have it, they responded saying that I would not get LTE on the Rogers or Telus networks, I rebuked that knowing it to be false. They quoted something about data provisioning and being able to spread my data across devices which seems extremely irrelevant to me.

As the date of my Z10 draws nearer I will make more inquiries, but as it stands, if I am being forced into a BB only plan on Bell I will jump ship no questions asked.
    02-12-13 09:51 PM
    I now have a Z10 and Lumia 920 with Rogers and have been swapping the sim card back and forth without issue. LTE works fine, and reception actually seems to be better with Rogers than it was with Bell.
    02-12-13 09:59 PM
446 ... 56789 ...