I'll test that later, I have a Koodo Z10 unlocked, when I put the Koodo SIM in it, the APN automatically change to sp.koodo.com. Everything works great with a Koodo SIM, but as soon as I put the Virgin SIM, it's back to blackberry.net and can't access the Internet. Virgin tech support told me my phone was incorrectly unlocked, try to unlock it again.
    Virgin is part of Bell.

That's not a good sign, as that would mean that Bell/Virgin is pushing the APN settings and it can't be hacked on the phone side.

But it could mean that unlocked Bell phones will work fine on other carriers.
    02-07-13 08:15 PM
    I'll test that later, I have a Koodo Z10 unlocked, when I put the Koodo SIM in it, the APN automatically change to sp.koodo.com. Everything works great with a Koodo SIM, but as soon as I put the Virgin SIM, it's back to blackberry.net and can't access the Internet. Virgin tech support told me my phone was incorrectly unlocked, try to unlock it again.
    Yes please post back...I'm thinking it's gotta be a default off SIM...the plot thickens lol.
    02-07-13 08:18 PM
    No contract...I paid full price and bought the phone...are they not obligated to release the APN?
    No.
    Last edited by reeneebob; 02-08-13 at 06:48 AM.
    02-07-13 09:33 PM
    If anyone needs the direct line,

1866-313-1086.

Bell retention and loyalty dept
    02-07-13 09:47 PM
    I bought a virgin blackberry outright and it had the hard-locked apn of "blackberry.net" it was greyed out and unchangable...
    After successfully unlocking it and putting a different sim card in it; you are able to edit the apn but after clicking save and going back in, you will see that it has reverted back to the carrier's apn.
    I tried this with a mobilicity sim card (YES, the Z10 is pentaband and will work on all carriers in canada including WIND and Mobilicity). When putting the Mobilicity sim card in, it automatically updates the apn to bb.davewireless.com and therefore your data doesnt work. I tried to change it to wap.mobilicity.com but after clicking save, it reverts. When a Virgin sim card is put back in, it will go back to the greyed out screen with blackberry.net. Trying a WIND sim in it, everything actually works... Data and all!

With experience using Virgin Mobile, Ive noticed that their phones are not branded. (eg. No carrier bloatware) which is why I was suprised to see a hard-locked apn. I was worried that it was the hardware but after testing several sims, Ive realized that the apn settings are all pushed from the carrier. So to all of you with Bell or Virgin blackberries, no need to worry... Its not the hardware with the problem.

Anyone that would like help unlocking their Blackberry Z10's for cheaper than most sites, feel free to PM me.

Ive attached an image showing that the phone has AWS (1700/2100) Frequencies
    Attached Thumbnails Bell BlackBerry Z10 on Smartphone data plan not working-img_00000004.jpg  
    Shanerredflag and schmeat like this.
    02-08-13 12:15 AM
    I bought a virgin blackberry outright and it had the hard-locked apn of "blackberry.net" it was greyed out and unchangable..
    How did YOU get to buy a Virgin Z10 outright?? Every store I called said sorry, can't sell to you. Try back in 30 days
    02-08-13 10:45 AM
    How did YOU get to buy a Virgin Z10 outright?? Every store I called said sorry, can't sell to you. Try back in 30 days
    You should have bought a Bell or Rogers phone then...the phones aren't branded anymore like the use to be!!
    02-08-13 10:53 AM
    I would like to reiterate one fact,

if you get or are on a BlackBerry plan you will not have any issues using that plan on an android or IPhone I swap sims regularly and my plan has always been bis data.

:thumbup:
    I wonder if this is because you've always been on a BB plan. I contacted Bell and they said that the smartphone data won't work with the Z10 and the bb data won't work with my android phone. They said that I can swap the sim back and forth, but would have to change my plan each time, to the appropriate data. He said it would be the same plan, just that the data would change from BB to smartphone or vice versa. He said I may even be able to do it myself, online.
    02-08-13 11:11 AM
    K...APN issue put to bed....just swapped a Telus SIM into my unlocked Bell Z and voila...APN magically switched over. Phone fully functional and data working fine.
    Did not have to security wipe either...just pull the battery and change SIM...pretty effortless.
    Conclusion....software defaults to SIM and carrier coding...what a relief lol.

Thanks to the very nice fellow at the Telus Store who let me use his SIM and explain things.
    02-08-13 11:37 AM
    So you are with Telus but using an unlocked Bell phone?
    02-08-13 11:50 AM
    So you are with Telus but using an unlocked Bell phone?

No..I'm with Bell using an unlocked Z...I went to Telus to buy a sim and try it but the guy said no no...we'll use mine...Telus LTE SIM out of his Android.
    02-08-13 12:05 PM
    No..I'm with Bell using an unlocked Z...I went to Telus to buy a sim and try it but the guy said no no...we'll use mine...Telus LTE SIM out of his Android.
    This sounds promising. Could you please explain what you did more clearly? Did you buy your Z10 from Bell and unlock it? Then after battery pull and sim insert your old Bell sim card works, data and all?
    02-08-13 12:09 PM
    I bought it from one of the employees whom Ive activated many lines with. Therefore he made an exception.

Anyone else looking for a buyout, check Koodo... Their price is only $550, and they're cheaper to unlock.
    02-08-13 12:16 PM
    This sounds promising. Could you please explain what you did more clearly? Did you buy your Z10 from Bell and unlock it? Then after battery pull and sim insert your old Bell sim card works, data and all?
    I think he basically just proved that Bell's locking is on the sim card/network, and that an unlocked Bell phone works correctly with all other carriers without requiring a BB-specific data plan.

Unfortunately that means that any Z10 you bring to Bell will require a BB plan.
    jakie55 likes this.
    02-08-13 12:39 PM
    I think he basically just proved that Bell's locking is on the sim card/network, and that an unlocked Bell phone works correctly with all other carriers without requiring a BB-specific data plan.

Unfortunately that means that any Z10 you bring to Bell will require a BB plan.
    Ah, I see. Thanks. I was hoping that he was then able to put his Bell sim into the phone and have it work fine, data and all. I guess I'll be cancelling my Bell account, then.
    02-08-13 12:45 PM
    Sorry...yes, bought from Bell (paid in full) unlocked through on-line service the same day then noticed the APN issue. To be clear, I never tried an old bell sim card, I went to Telus to try a diffrent card in phone to see if it would clear the APN lock...and it did.

Then put my SIM (from Bell that came with the Z) back in and thats it...interesting idea though on other Bell SIMS, I will try my wifes out of her iPhone tonight to see what that does.
    02-08-13 12:49 PM
    I bought it from one of the employees whom Ive activated many lines with. Therefore he made an exception.

Anyone else looking for a buyout, check Koodo... Their price is only $550, and they're cheaper to unlock.
    The problem is still that anyone on Bell with a Smartphone plan won't be able to use the Z10 as the SIM will indicate a smartphone plan. This doesn't really solve anything to use any unlocked phone on a Bell Smartphone plan.

Unless of course I'm completely missing something, all you have proven is that a Telus SIM determines the APN. The real question is if we unlock the Bell Z10, and use a smartphone planned Bell SIM, will it work.
    02-08-13 12:57 PM
    The problem is still that anyone on Bell with a Smartphone plan won't be able to use the Z10 as the SIM will indicate a smartphone plan. This doesn't really solve anything to use any unlocked phone on a Bell Smartphone plan.

Unless of course I'm completely missing something, all you have proven is that a Telus SIM determines the APN. The real question is if we unlock the Bell Z10, and use a smartphone planned Bell SIM, will it work.
    what's shown is that its not the phone itself, its the sim/network. In order to be on Bell network with a BlackBerry, you need to go through bells apn settings. And the way the provision the sim, it won't let you change those settings.
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    02-08-13 01:07 PM
    I started a thread about this, but have you seen anyone confirm that they are able to swap cards back and forth between a Z10 and and Android phone on any other carrier (particularly Rogers and Telus)?
    02-08-13 01:24 PM
    I started a thread about this, but have you seen anyone confirm that they are able to swap cards back and forth between a Z10 and and Android phone on any other carrier (particularly Rogers and Telus)?
    Yup, I have seen someone use an Android device (Note 2) and a Z10 on the Rogers network.
    02-08-13 01:27 PM
    what's shown is that its not the phone itself, its the sim/network. In order to be on Bell network with a BlackBerry, you need to go through bells apn settings. And the way the provision the sim, it won't let you change those settings.
    Which is cool to know. However, the issue remains. If you are on the Bell network then, and have a Bell SIM in a Z10 it won't work. My question, is how does the SIM know? It shouldn't know any of that information. All a SIM does is provision and offer service. It doesn't care what device it's in. So, even if it is providing APN data as I'm on a smartphone plan (pda.bell.ca) I should be able to buy a device from another provider, unlock it and put my SIM in and it should stay on the pda APN.

THIS is what I'm looking for confirmation on. So, if you have an unlocked Koodo phone and have put a Bell SIM with a smartphone package in it, does everything work? Or a unlocked Rogers phone, Fido, etc, etc.

Tks.
    02-08-13 01:29 PM
    Yup, I have seen someone use an Android device (Note 2) and a Z10 on the Rogers network.
    Thanks. Time to say goodbye to Bell.
    02-08-13 01:49 PM
    I've found that on Virgin, to get a comparable plan to what I have currently I have to pay an extra $10 per month.

I even got to their loyalty department and they couldn't do anything. Guess I will wait out the remaining 9months on my contract and switch carriers.
    02-08-13 02:02 PM
    Thanks. Time to say goodbye to Bell.
    Sigh... agreed. It's just so painful to change and frankly I hate Rogers. I also don't think I'll get as good a plan. So, if I really want a Z10 I have to give up so much. So, it's almost going to be too bad for Blackberry that Bell is causing so much anguish.
    02-08-13 02:03 PM
    I was told by the person at Virgin tech support whom I was "escalated" to, that the APN issue has been "sent up to management", but who knows if that's the truth or how far it will go. I was basically told I needed to switch plans after being led on by the last two people I spoke with that they were working on a solution.

If anyone on Virgin / Bell is interested in my experience calling their support, check out my post here: The Autodidact • How Virgin / Bell Bungled the Z10 Launch . Hopefully we get some traction on this. I hate Rogers, and am slowly realizing I also hate Bell. Too bad I like Virgin, they're unfortunate relation... suppose I'll try Telus??
    02-08-13 04:12 PM
446 ... 34567 ...