I know it has been mentioned over and over again that BB10 does not use BIS anymore. Well I just bought the Z10 no contract this morning. I have a 6GB smartphone data plan and I can confirm data is not working for me. In the APN settings it is trying to connect to blackberry.net. These settings are also locked.

I called Bell and they said I need a BB Plan. My data currently cannot be changed to BB data and thus I was told I need to change my plan. The best plan they could give me for the same price that I am currently paying for but I get 150MB of data. Seriously? So I would have to pay more money every month just to use a blackberry.. I don't see how this can help people switch from androids or iPhones. Looks like I'll be going back to my android.

Anyone else have this issue or solutions? Thanks.
    02-05-13 11:51 AM
    I know it has been mentioned over and over again that BB10 does not use BIS anymore. Well I just bought the Z10 no contract this morning. I have a 6GB smartphone data plan and I can confirm data is not working for me. In the APN settings it is trying to connect to blackberry.net. These settings are also locked.

I called Bell and they said I need a BB Plan. My data currently cannot be changed to BB data and thus I was told I need to change my plan. The best plan they could give me for the same price that I am currently paying for but I get 150MB of data. Seriously? So I would have to pay more money every month just to use a blackberry.. I don't see how this can help people switch from androids or iPhones.

Anyone else have this issue or solutions? Thanks.
    Sounds strange. I picked up mine this morning, mine works perfect and im not on a BB plan. I switched from an iphone.
    cjcampbell likes this.
    02-05-13 11:57 AM
    Is your carrier Bell?
    02-05-13 12:03 PM
    Is your carrier Bell?
    What tipped you off?

That being said, apparently Bell is forcing Z10 buyers onto a Blackberry-only plan. Wouldn't surprise me if they have a special BIS server connected to all non-bb accounts with the sole purpose of locking out BB10 devices.
    intprd04 likes this.
    02-05-13 12:14 PM
    where did you get one off contract anyway?
    02-05-13 12:23 PM
    I went into a Bell store and bought it
    02-05-13 12:24 PM
    really?

i thought they were only selling them on contract for now
    02-05-13 12:28 PM
    i just made a thread... i went to bell and picked up my pre-order and they forced me to switch over to a BB data plan. I had to pay $7 extra PER MONTH to be forced on to this plan.

if i find out that only bell is doing this there is going to be big problems. I was on the phone for an hour IN THE STORE because they wanted to give me a $70 BB plan which had 1GB of data... NO SHOT, so they made me pay $7 more but I am paying $69 now and have 6GB like usual.
    02-05-13 12:31 PM
    I switched from an iPhone and was told the same...had to run through BB plan....but, they gave me unlimited everything with Canada wide calling and five gigs of data for 30 bucks a month less than I was paying for a lesser plan. Now just waiting for an unlock code and all set
    02-05-13 12:33 PM
    They should be ashamed of themselves...
    02-05-13 12:34 PM
    I switched from an iPhone and was told the same...had to run through BB plan....but, they gave me unlimited everything with Canada wide calling and five gigs of data for 30 bucks a month less than I was paying for a lesser plan. Now just waiting for an unlock code and all set
    what are you paying?
    02-05-13 12:46 PM
    I can't get behind that.
    02-05-13 01:09 PM
    And that, boys and girls, is why I'm so happy I somehow sold my Bell contract on Kijiji against all odds.
    02-05-13 01:14 PM
    And that, boys and girls, is why I'm so happy I somehow sold my Bell contract on Kijiji against all odds.
    oh, they will be hearing from me if they are the only carrier doing it. I already told them I would go to the BBB if they are forcing me to pay more for a service that is unnessecary.
    Rickroller likes this.
    02-05-13 01:15 PM
    I think there was some mention of Bell's mysterious unwarranted BIS charge on the CB homepage, last night, here:
    BlackBerry Z10 Buyer's Guide - Canada Edition | CrackBerry.com
    02-05-13 01:19 PM
    I have the same problem as OP. Bell is making me switch to a BB plan from my iPhone plan. Current plan is 6gb for $60 , and they suggest the 3gb for $75 is the equivalent. I bought the phone this morning not knowing that.

Not sure what to do, as the rep was pretty firm. Trying an escalation of my complaint. That has worked before, so I am keeping my fingers crossed.
    ev44 likes this.
    02-05-13 02:12 PM
    Anyone try a z10 on pay as you go data yet?

I stopped using carrier minutes, a long time ago. SIP Ftw!
    02-05-13 02:19 PM
    I have the same problem as OP. Bell is making me switch to a BB plan from my iPhone plan. Current plan is 6gb for $60 , and they suggest the 3gb for $75 is the equivalent. I bought the phone this morning not knowing that.

Not sure what to do, as the rep was pretty firm. Trying an escalation of my complaint. That has worked before, so I am keeping my fingers crossed.
    Tell them that every other carrier in the world is NOT asking to change plans, and if Bell wants you to switch to BB data then THEY have to pay the extra (make you plan the same) because they cannot force you to do something like that.
    02-05-13 03:00 PM
    Bell has hard coded the blackberry.net APN in the APN settings on the Z10s, forcing you to use a BIS plan. Whereas, Rogers devices use ltemobile.apn so you can use the device on any smartphone plan.
    intprd04 likes this.
    02-05-13 03:07 PM
    Bell has hard coded the blackberry.net APN in the APN settings on the Z10s, forcing you to use a BIS plan. Whereas, Rogers devices use ltemobile.apn so you can use the device on any smartphone plan.
    it dsoesnt matter what the reason is... if they are forcing you to pa a fee that no other company is asking for then it is their responsibility. They cannot ask you to pay more for a service that you cannot deny.
    pcguy514 likes this.
    02-05-13 03:17 PM
    Shame on Bell and BB. I made sure the Rep instore did not open the seal on the Z10 box just cause i suspected this would happen. Needless to say i am returning the phone back to the store!
    mset likes this.
    02-05-13 03:38 PM
    what are you paying?
    95.00....guess I was getting ripped pretty bad on the other plan lol...I average 1250daytime minutes a month though so need a plan with lots of mins...now I can really go crazy!

Another guy upgrading his old curve was paying 270.00 for his family share plan...they saved him a ton today as well.

I think we pay more out west here than you GTA folks.
    02-05-13 03:45 PM
    Its a no go with Bell. They are making me change the plan as the plan i have now is no longer available. I guess I am returning my Z10 because the extra cost is too much per month. It appears that Bell is making it very difficult for iPhone and Android users to switch to BlackBerrry, at least switch and keep a good data plan. This sucks! I tried the Z10 on wifi only, and this phone is absolutely amazing.
    02-05-13 03:56 PM
    Ouch. This bad news for Bell and Z10. Bell sucks anyway. I'm stuck in a contract with Bell and can't upgrade for a little less than 2yrs from now. Ill be getting BB11 or 12 if it survives I guess. But definitely not with Bell. To put yourself in other peoples shoes, I pay $60 a month and I have a BB social plan. Apparently it was the cheapest plan I could get with a BB. That means no Data. Zip. For $60. I'm calling them up and telling them to lower my plan or give me 6GB of data too. WTF. You ppl are lucky. I have felt like such a chump for the past year. And those b@stards fought me on it and after a month with no working phone and constantly calling their loyalty BS dept (from home obviously) I'm listening to ppl complain about a 6GB data plan under the $100 they quoted me for 1 fn GB!!!??? Sorry for the rant people. Talking about Bell still hurts. I would say screw bell and if you can't like me then go back to your previous phones or get something else and wait it out.
    02-05-13 03:56 PM
    Ouch. This bad news for Bell and Z10. Bell sucks anyway. I'm stuck in a contract with Bell and can't upgrade for a little less than 2yrs from now. Ill be getting BB11 or 12 if it survives I guess. But definitely not with Bell. To put yourself in other peoples shoes, I pay $60 a month and I have a BB social plan. Apparently it was the cheapest plan I could get with a BB. That means no Data. Zip. For $60. I'm calling them up and telling them to lower my plan or give me 6GB of data too. WTF. You ppl are lucky. I have felt like such a chump for the past year. And those b@stards fought me on it and after a month with no working phone and constantly calling their loyalty BS dept (from home obviously) I'm listening to ppl complain about a 6GB data plan under the $100 they quoted me for 1 fn GB!!!??? Sorry for the rant people. Talking about Bell still hurts. I would say screw bell and if you can't like me then go back to your previous phones or get something else and wait it out.
    Try posting your contract on Kijiji. I had two years left and I only had a busted 9700 (not a 9780 or 9790), and someone actually took it over! He was in montreal, and i did pay him $100 through paypal to take it, but now I'm completely free of bell.

Just make sure you know how transfer of ownership works first though.
    eddy_berry likes this.
    02-05-13 04:45 PM
446 123 ...