Epic. I thought they should have done this earlier.

No need for skype or whatsapp now, and I can "facetime" my parents on their iOS devices at home with my Z10
    I think this is great news. With the launch of BBM Channels along with Voice and Video this could make BBM a major social network.
    I think BBM Video (and screen sharing) is not supported on other platforms.

BBM for iOS and Android to Launch This Summer �Inside BlackBerry - The Official BlackBerry Blog
    05-14-13 10:09 AM
    Link?

Posted via CB10
    Here you go...
    05-14-13 10:09 AM
    Now they will loose customers not gain but I live the idea cuz I still have my Nexus 4 and I want give it up and now for sure not!
    I won't be shocked that most BBYR customers will drop their BlackBerry device and switch to Android cuz BBM is there!

Posted via CB10
    05-14-13 10:10 AM
    hahaha android and iOS users will get a blackberry logo appear on their screen every time they get a BBM? or at least every time they open an app
    05-14-13 10:11 AM
    BBM was not enough to keep people from jumping ship, the iPhone & Android numbers prove this.

So I welcome the news that BBM will go cross platform, with wifi calling, groups, SCREEN sharing, video calling, channels, BBM blows the other apps out the park, get recognition and free advertising on other platforms, whilst at the same time, increase the BBM contact numbers again, cause mine have been declining fast!

I think they will need to monetize some aspects of it eventually, let them get the app on to other platforms first.

We didn't get a fixed date, so expect "coming soon" + a few delays due to app world approvals etc etc
    05-14-13 10:12 AM
    so how does this work? how would iOS and android users add people? do they get pins? does anyone know?
    05-14-13 10:15 AM
    Now they will loose customers not gain but I live the idea cuz I still have my Nexus 4 and I want give it up and now for sure not!
    I won't be shocked that most BBYR customers will drop their BlackBerry device and switch to Android cuz BBM is there!

Posted via CB10
    See I feel like this will allow users to stay with their current blackberries and still be able to effectively communicate with non-blackberry users

so how does this work? how would iOS and android users add people? do they get pins? does anyone know?
    pin based on phone IMEI?
    Vithulan L Nathan likes this.
    05-14-13 10:15 AM
    Now BBM with be in mind with every mobile user using BBM messenger regardless what phone they have

While us BlackBerry users are wondering if we will get apps. Lol

Posted via CB10
    05-14-13 10:17 AM
    my guess would be email addresses.

I'm thinking that there is going to be a few ads in the iOS/android versions to help BBRY line their pockets.
    There was a time when BBM ruled college campuses everywhere. Once people migrated away from blackberry devices as the touch screen landed, BBM was dead for the lonely, loyal BB guy. This is how you regain your younger crowd, draw them into BBM first, then lure them to your new, competitive OS and high quality device line. Then the rest of the market comes in too. Older crowd follows the young crowd these days.

Keeping it exclusive only makes it more difficult to regain the market share.

It's ludicrous to be upset with this move if you're rooting for BB to succeed.

And it sounds like video and voice will also be available some time after the text service, making the move even better. Cut into facetime, skype, and whatever else android users might use.

I love this news.
    Will definitely be a blow to whatsapp

Posted via CB10
    05-14-13 10:18 AM
    I believe BlackBerry will stick with the pin requirement. That will retain BBM's crown as it is very secure, not revealing phone numbers, unlike other IMs. So it will be a gain for the brand

Posted via CB10
    05-14-13 10:20 AM
    Anyone that has used different messaging apps will be able to tell you that BBM is just better than the rest
    05-14-13 10:20 AM
    I don't think this is good for marketing

IOS and Android users will benefit from this but what would really make people buy a blackberry phone if they can get more apps on IOS or Android and still communicate with BlackBerry users...

IMO

Posted via CB10
    05-14-13 10:22 AM
    Can't wait. I have zero BBM contacts. Skype video costs money after a certain number of uses. BBM currently is just a great service that I have no use for.

Posted via CB10
    05-14-13 10:23 AM
    See I feel like this will allow users to stay with their current blackberries and still be able to effectively communicate with non-blackberry users

pin based on phone IMEI?
    I kinda like this idea. Blackberry pin like thingy created on other devices. if any iOS or android users ask how to add, I would say "gimme your blackberry, errr your pin" hahahahahahaahahahahah

my guess would be email addresses.

I'm thinking that there is going to be a few ads in the iOS/android versions to help BBRY line their pockets.
    You mean create a bbm account using an email address?
    05-14-13 10:23 AM
    I don't think this is good for marketing

IOS and Android users will benefit from this but what would really make people buy a blackberry phone if they can get more apps on IOS or Android and still communicate with BlackBerry users...

IMO

Posted via CB10
    The ecosystem is in its infancy and it is growing pretty quickly. They are very focused on this and it's showing.

The next step is keeping up with Samsung's specs and figuring out how to release the phones in a much quicker fashion while the hype is still buzzing from the announcement.
    05-14-13 10:24 AM
    Anyone that has used different messaging apps will be able to tell you that BBM is just better than the rest

Agreed. All of my friends used to have blackberries. Now theyre stuck with using whatsapp.. and would love that bbm will be available on their phone.

Because of the news. They get to keep their phones, keep their apps, while we get stuck with no instagram, no netflix, and more delays.
    05-14-13 10:25 AM
    I kinda like this idea. Blackberry pin like thingy created on other devices. if any iOS or android users ask how to add, I would say "gimme your blackberry, errr your pin" hahahahahahaahahahahah

You mean create a bbm account using an email address?
    I really think it will be generated from your phones IMEI
    That way it would kinda work like existing pins on real blackberries where only one can exist on the network
    and since IMEI's are unique, it would make sense
    05-14-13 10:26 AM
    I'm on the fence right now. I see the benefits and it will be nice to get people onto BBM and off of other platforms. People aren't sticking with BlackBerry because of BBM. BB10 has many benefits beyond just BBM. I use both a Z10 and a Q10 because of the UI and the overall stability. I don't pick a phone or platform because of apps, I pick a phone because of how it will improve my life and make getting things done easier.

BlackBerry can put ads in and hopefully they bring out a desktop version. I really hope they allow you to BBM from multiple devices. It would be great having one BBM contact list, on my BB10 phone, Android phone and my PC. It'll be cool if when you sign up with an email address it generates a PIN that you can give to people. Then all your BBM PINs are linked through your email address. I don't know the technical backside but if that was possible I'd be in BBM heaven.

Long term BlackBerry can use ads to generate revenue and it gets people thinking of BlackBerry. As BB10 improves and more apps come to the platform I think this will help people think of BB10 as a phone platform of choice. Plus if they open up calling to landlines in the future they could charge for it just like Skype does currently. I'm excited for better audio and video quality over BBM than what skype can offer. It's going to be a very exciting year for BlackBerry and BBM.
    05-14-13 10:26 AM
    Nobody, like really nobody, is buying a blackberry JUST to have BBM. This will not cause customer loss.

Posted via CB10
    madx80h and AbsoluteT23 like this.
    05-14-13 10:27 AM
    I really think it will be generated from your phones IMEI
    That way it would kinda work like existing pins on real blackberries where only one can exist on the network
    and since IMEI's are unique, it would make sense
    true. and the whole "pin" idea is sooo Blackberry. maybe this will increase their curiosity as to how Blackberry's work, which is always a good thing.
    05-14-13 10:29 AM
    I think it is a smart move but they should keep some key features to blackberry only so when people get hooked on BBM and want more they will have to change over to a BB phone.
    05-14-13 10:29 AM
    Nobody, like really nobody, is buying a blackberry JUST to have BBM. This will not cause customer loss.

Posted via CB10
    Nor a sudden influx of customers becasue people find BBM so awesome. There are now many ways to chat easily on a phone, unlike the days when BBM ruled. I am sure I will install it, but unless many of my friends who arent tech heads install it, and I doubt they will, it will be useless. Right now, regardles of security or lack thereof, people are happy with What�s App, Facebook, VIber and GTalk and iMessage on their respective platforms.
    05-14-13 10:30 AM
    This is better for BlackBerry owners than for other platform users because for most people BBM is not fully utilized because of the small user base.

Actually now that I think about it it probably is targeted to help US users the most since BBM in other countries where BlackBerry is stronger enjoy it's use more frequently I would think.

Posted via CB10
    madx80h likes this.
    05-14-13 10:30 AM
131 1234 ...