Sorry, I have no idea about the whole BIS thing. I got a new data plan so in any event, it would be different than on the old phone right? I registered the device as you suggested so let's see what happens.

Other than that, I went to the mall, logged on the wifi and pretty much immediately got the BB sign in the top bar, so it might be just a problem with the network here in the house? Weird, because as I said, everything works fine for the wife.

Posted via CB10
    Hmmm I don't see why it would work on another WiFi and not work at work. This is definitely odd

Posted via CB10
    05-03-13 12:10 PM
    Well, it seems it can get more odd. I just managed to have a less than two minutes BBM voice call. It disconnected by itself however and the quality was not super. Mind you, I still don't have the BlackBerry sign on the top bar and I still cannot send a normal BBM message. I am pretty much lost now?!?!

Posted via CB10
    05-03-13 12:34 PM
    Well, it seems it can get more odd. I just managed to have a less than two minutes BBM voice call. It disconnected by itself however and the quality was not super. Mind you, I still don't have the BlackBerry sign on the top bar and I still cannot send a normal BBM message. I am pretty much lost now?!?!

Posted via CB10
    That is odd. All other data service beside BBM works well over WiFi?

Posted via CB10
    05-03-13 01:03 PM
    Actually the Z10 can use the old BIS plans or just a standard plan. If you kept your old BIS plan.. maybe when you put your sim card in, it has difficulty connecting to the servers. I don't know... just guessing. I am on Bell and we are still on those old BIS plans on the Z10.

Some had said that if you go menu, settings, about, network, the three dots and register device... it would work. Give it a try.

Posted via CB10
    I think a lot of the issues with BBM not working on WiFi is caused by carriers not properly provisioning the new BlackBerry's on a proper plan. I think Bell maybe one if the worst as they provided older BlackBerry devices with unlimited BBM Plans with normal data separate and capped. What this means when you switch to a BB10 is that in order for you to get BBM The carrier forces the traffic through their mobile network. In that case you have to have the SIM in place.

Posted via CB10 on my Zed10 10.0.10.85 on Rogers
    05-03-13 02:05 PM
    That is odd. All other data service beside BBM works well over WiFi?

Posted via CB10
    Oh yeah, WhatsApp, Facebook, internet and emails etc are all absolutely flawless

Posted via CB10
    05-04-13 03:42 AM
    I think a lot of the issues with BBM not working on WiFi is caused by carriers not properly provisioning the new BlackBerry's on a proper plan. I think Bell maybe one if the worst as they provided older BlackBerry devices with unlimited BBM Plans with normal data separate and capped. What this means when you switch to a BB10 is that in order for you to get BBM The carrier forces the traffic through their mobile network. In that case you have to have the SIM in place.

He has a good point. You said you had an unlimited plan so it's possible that your carrier forces BBM through their data plan... even when you are abroad.

Posted via CB10
    05-04-13 07:15 AM
    But that would mean it also should not work on public networks/hotspots like the one I tested here at the mall, and where BBM did work?

It is a valid point though, my wife is not on an unlimited plan, and I didn't use to be either when everything worked fine.

Posted via CB10
    05-04-13 12:10 PM
    But that would mean it also should not work on public networks/hotspots like the one I tested here at the mall, and where BBM did work?

It is a valid point though, my wife is not on an unlimited plan, and I didn't use to be either when everything worked fine.

Posted via CB10
    It worked on the public WiFi with your sim card in?

Posted via CB10
    05-04-13 02:09 PM
    Sorry, she.

Did it work?

Posted via CB10
    Haven't tried yet.
    But when I do, I will post back.
    Just got lazy I guess
    05-04-13 02:13 PM
    It worked on the public WiFi with your sim card in?

Posted via CB10
    Yes, got the BlackBerry sign immediately and received messages. Btw, I just turned on my phone this morning and during the start up process BBM actually came on, I received two messages and then it switched off again as the starting up proceeded. Anyway, I don't understand any of it but it seems to be limited (for now I hope) to the wifi here at the house so I guess I will have to work around that.

Thanks very much for all the help and suggestions people!!

Posted via CB10
    05-05-13 03:36 AM
    Before I post, I'd admit I haven gone through all the posts and just skimmed through most.

I would suggest all to register the device if unable to use BBM. The BBM will be directly linked to your BBID, along with BlackBerry World.

A simple test would be to: Go to Settings>About>Network(in the drop down)
    Make sure there is a proper IP for every connection type. Register the device from the bottom right.
    Try BBM and BB World.

Cheers
    05-05-13 03:51 AM
    Sorry, I have no idea about the whole BIS thing. I got a new data plan so in any event, it would be different than on the old phone right? I registered the device as you suggested so let's see what happens.

Other than that, I went to the mall, logged on the wifi and pretty much immediately got the BB sign in the top bar, so it might be just a problem with the network here in the house? Weird, because as I said, everything works fine for the wife.

Posted via CB10
    I would think that's it a problem with the network at the house, maybe some ports or services are blocked by the firewall or are conflicting with the mobile network.
    Maybe try resetting the home network and connect the devices one by one starting with the Z10

Posted via CB10 from my Z10
    05-05-13 05:09 AM
    How come? But my is work over data plan on my Sim card but not over wifi
    If there is wifi connection the bbm voice call/ vidio call icon is green colour but when no wifi connection the icon is gone

Posted via CB10
    In your BBM settings make sure the option to allow calls over mobile network.
    Open BBM app swipe down from the top and go to settings and make sure the switch is toggled on.
    This way you can call over wifi or mobile network/data.
    Hope that helps

BBM over WIFI-img_00000191.png

05-05-13 05:14 AM
    Before I post, I'd admit I haven gone through all the posts and just skimmed through most.

I would suggest all to register the device if unable to use BBM. The BBM will be directly linked to your BBID, along with BlackBerry World.

A simple test would be to: Go to Settings>About>Network(in the drop down)
    Make sure there is a proper IP for every connection type. Register the device from the bottom right.
    Try BBM and BB World.

Cheers
    Thanks. Before (and after of course) I registered BB World was working fine. It's only BBM. The in that Network category I have ip addresses, the only thing not there is IMS Status which states: No. I'm not sure what that means though
    05-05-13 07:13 AM
    Thanks. Before (and after of course) I registered BB World was working fine. It's only BBM. The in that Network category I have ip addresses, the only thing not there is IMS Status which states: No. I'm not sure what that means though
    My IMS status is No as well and I can use BBM Over WiFi without any problems.

05-05-13 10:26 AM
    I figured that much , I think I will throw in the towel on this one and I will just live with the fact that it is only this wifi network. Next time we are going down here will be in September, so for fun I will bring my old 9700 and see how that one handles the network.

Thanks again for all the assistance.
    05-05-13 11:13 AM
    I think it might have to do with the fact that you cant have 2 different bbm pins attached one BBID, although I stand to be corrected. But I wouldn't really think you could have the same BBM profile active on 2 different devices at the same time.
    You can definitely have 2 devices attached to the same ID since your PlayBook uses the same BBID as your device but the PlayBook doesn't have it's own dedicated BBM, rather it works off the device's.

I could be way off, but it seems logical to me anyway. Maybe your best bet would be to query this with BlackBerry support

05-05-13 11:23 AM
    I hadn't even thought of that. I'll drop them an email tomorrow morning.

Posted via CB10
    05-05-13 02:54 PM
    Slightly different problem I am on bell and updated through the leak .1627 and I can't connect using bbm video with my friend who just bought the q10. Could me having the leak be a reason why it won't connect?
    05-06-13 02:31 PM
    Slightly different problem I am on bell and updated through the leak .1627 and I can't connect using bbm video with my friend who just bought the q10. Could me having the leak be a reason why it won't connect?
    Do you still have the problem?

Posted via CB10
    05-06-13 11:05 PM
    I have no sim card in my phone, and every feature of the q10 is fully functional EXCEPT i cant make phone calls or send texts, but bbm, what's app, everything else works!

This is pretty amazing, just found it out now.

Edit: i haven't tried pin msging though

Posted via CB10
    05-09-13 10:24 AM
    Hello Everyone, I just want to bring your attention to my issue, I wonder if anyone encountered the same since I found it pretty strange, I just got my 4G LTE router, I deactivated the data plan on my Z10 also i switched data services off in the system settings> network connections> mobile network. Z10 logged in to the WIFI network, but the blackberry icon didnt appear next to the wifi icon, everything works so fast and so well, except BBM, the strange thing, is I was able to do BBM Voice and BBM video but i was unable to send a BBM message or chat! Please help

One more thing to add here, I referred to one post where someone suggested to create a static IP, I was able to do that, and after saving & connecting then hard restart, I was able to see the BB icon and BBM was connected but only for a matter of 10 seconds not more.

Any one can help me out here? Please ?
    Last edited by muratovich77; 07-13-13 at 09:04 AM. Reason: Updated
    07-13-13 06:04 AM
    Hello Everyone, I just want to bring your attention to my issue, I wonder if anyone encountered the same since I found it pretty strange, I just got my 4G LTE router, I deactivated the data plan on my Z10 also i switched data services off in the system settings> network connections> mobile network. Z10 logged in to the WIFI network, but the blackberry icon didnt appear next to the wifi icon, everything works so fast and so well, except BBM, the strange thing, is I was able to do BBM Voice and BBM video but i was unable to send a BBM message or chat! Please help

One more thing to add here, I referred to one post where someone suggested to create a static IP, I was able to do that, and after saving & connecting then hard restart, I was able to see the BB icon and BBM was connected but only for a matter of 10 seconds not more.

Any one can help me out here? Please ?
    I was able to resolve it regardless of the suggestion I was told which none of them worked actually
    07-13-13 01:06 PM
    Hey, for the pass six months i've been using BBM over WIFI but recently after taking off the phone it stopped everything else works with the WIFI except my BBM i want to know if any one knows how to get it back...... i have an 8520
    10-04-13 05:37 PM
74 123