Now a month after launch of Z10 in the States. I stopped into an AT&T store next to a Nordstroms in a DC area mall and asked how the new Blackberry was selling. The answer was that people come to look at it but they don't buy. Then the sales person went on about it being the bottom of the selection of smart phones. I won't elaborate on all the reasons why as readers of this forum have heard them all. And they are either patently false or big exaggerations. The sales person either new nothing about the device or for other reasons wanted to sell something else. The sales person seemed to be pushing the Nokia - this is not the first time I felt that in an AT&T store. AT&T listed it at $199 on contract but Amazon sells it for $99 on AT&T contract. There is more to all of this than meets the eye, at least my eyes.

The Z10 is still in the back of the store and no signs or advertising at all. The new HTC and Samsung phones by comparison had complete display islands set up. The HTC is a good looking device, BTW. It sports stereo speakers - on a phone?? These devices are much more for entertainment than for communication. Blackberry is for serious business - but it serves the entertainment role as well. And increasingly so with updates to software and applications.
    04-30-13 11:12 PM
    From my experience, a lot of AT&T retail reps are morons. Most don't really know much about tech in general or the specifics of what they're actually selling aside from basic training materials and simple talking points given to them by their management.

At the end of the day, they're selling contracts, NOT phones.

So if for example X phone is more popular than Y phone, they'll collectively push that over the other.

As long as they sell more contracts and accumulate more subscribers that's all that matters.

Posted via my BlackBerry Z10.
    pantlesspenguin and brout like this.
    04-30-13 11:33 PM
    My buddy in Phoenix said the same thing. AT&T was not marketing the Z10 at all.

I think that may change with the Q10. The business crowd is mostly waiting for that.

Posted via CB10
    05-01-13 07:05 AM
    Just picked up a Z10 a few days ago from my local AT&T store. The rep asked me "You like this phone I don't, you sure that's what you want". It's disgusting that the employees judge their customers.

Posted via CB10
    05-01-13 07:56 AM
    In all the AT&T Stores I've been to, I've almost always seen a dedicated Windows Phone representative. In one case, he was the manager (and flat out lied to me about device unlocking). I think BlackBerry needs to get its own people out and hire reps for carrier stores as well.

Posted via CB10
    05-01-13 08:40 AM
    From my experience, a lot of AT&T retail reps are morons. Most don't really know much about tech in general or the specifics of what they're actually selling aside from basic training materials and simple talking points given to them by their management.

So if for example X phone is more popular than Y phone, they'll collectively push that over the other.

As long as they sell more contracts and accumulate more subscribers that's all that matters.

Unfortunately, I think this is pretty accurate.
    05-01-13 09:06 AM

I have to agree with you 100% when I got mine they had no clue on the operations. They tried to push me to a windows phone or the Iphone. In the 3 stores that I have been to all thing BB is in a corner of the store the rest of the store is all other platforms Plus you can not even buy a PB at any AT&T store that I have been to. I believe if they could stop selling BB they would but they want all the contracts that they can get.
    05-01-13 09:21 AM
    I've certainly had the experience of going into an ATT store and having to ask about BlackBerry because there were none on display and the rep having to be "in the back" to get one out, as if it were some sort of illicit material. But its unfair and Inaccurate, so far as my experience goes, to denigrate every person who works for AT&T when their handling of BlackBerry products as if they were radioactive is obviously some sort of corporate level decision.

Posted via CB10
    05-01-13 09:22 AM
    I've certainly had the experience of going into an ATT store and having to ask about BlackBerry because there were none on display and the rep having to be "in the back" to get one out, as if it were some sort of illicit material. But its unfair and Inaccurate, so far as my experience goes, to denigrate every person who works for AT&T when their handling of BlackBerry products as if they were radioactive is obviously some sort of corporate level decision.

Posted via CB10
    You are right it is not the employees most of the time it is for sure coming from corporate
    05-01-13 09:27 AM
    One of the rep said BlackBerry does not even have a demo mode. They did not even have the phone charged. Pathetic! I wish BlackBerry comes up with something soo good that Apple and Google look bad!

Posted via CB10
    05-01-13 09:28 AM
    I don't think it's only ATT. For years I don't think any of the carriers have pushed the BB and much as any other phone. Apple could launch an new iphone and only thing different could be the screen is an 8th of an inch bigger and they would make it out like it was the next big thing. Go into Best Buys and they will have a real iphone 4 and 5 out to play with along with the HTC one and the Note 2. Why not a blackberry? Could it be because in the past the carrier had to pay a fee to blackberry for the BIS? Lets face it the bottom line is profit and if they are selling the data plans for the same price but for the blackberry they have to pay an extra fee for the BIS they are going to want to sell any smartphone before the blackberry
    05-01-13 09:30 AM