Guys i have been hearing so much about the bb10 but i have not heard anything about the availability of vpn - unlike the past os where the vpn was only cisco and its like and no pptp and l2tp would the new bb10 support both these protocol. Maybe they are less secure but for the average user who is trying to get pandora to run in places other than the us this is a huge help. I hope it would be supported. Has anyone seen them on the alpha and beta devices??
    01-26-13 07:14 AM
    Sadly, we will probably not see them again, which is very annoying as nowadays it is not just businesses that might use a vpn and it is a clear area where they will lag behind even such outdated operating systems as ios.
    aryan77 and jerobarraco like this.
    01-26-13 07:57 AM
    Thats too bad.... Why does not rim give the customer the option?? You want PPTP/L2TP its the customers call. I seriously hope they have some kind of option for the vpn.
    01-26-13 08:07 AM
    I am not sure... But if you have a Playbook my guess whatever it supports is what BB 10 will. It's the same OS with a new UI.
    01-27-13 09:27 AM
    That's not true at all. It's using a different version of QNX and different API's are imbedded. This is not the same OS with a different Skin. ****, BB10's features that have been shown off are already beyond current playbook OS's capabilities. So we'll see if it supports VPN's
    I am not sure... But if you have a Playbook my guess whatever it supports is what BB 10 will. It's the same OS with a new UI.
    01-27-13 01:34 PM
    So we'll see if it supports VPN's
    The issue isn't whether or not it will support vpns, the problem on the playbook is that they do not support the consumer-level vpn setups that people would use outside of a business environment.
    01-27-13 02:40 PM
    I am a Software Engineer, so you are on a topic near and dear to me. Sorry, but It's the same underlining OS with a new UI. Similar to a shift from Windows 7 desktop to Windows 8 desktop. I have worked with the new BB10 API's. There are new UI libraries and some new API's, yes (not minimizing the shear amount of work they put into them). But it's still the same OS. Also "different version of QNX"... Sorry no it may be updated but you are making it sound like BB10 is some "OMG" radical shift. Maybe from the disaster that is BB OS 7. I agree. But, Playbook apps work without any modifications. The whole point of the Playbook was a "playground" for Research In Motion to deliver QNX to mobile platforms like the smartphone. Anyway, my point was, and is still, that it would be doubtful that RIM would "waste" time on new VPN protocols when they are struggling to get the Playboook OS running in a smartphone form factor. So, if the Playbook does not have these VPN protocols, I would not bet on BB 10.

Now if we are talking about flashy new apps and UI.... Yeah there will be exciting new things on the platform. But core stuff, like drivers, and VPN, and the like, is not going to be different,
    01-27-13 03:52 PM
    Most likely whatever vpn capabilities available on playbook will be available. The Cisco VPN client is must for enterprise as Cisco vpn is dominant in this space.
    01-27-13 06:03 PM
    After reading all this why do i get a feeling that i am not gonna see consumer vpns available on bb10. Sighh... I guess i need to find vpns which were working on blackberry playbook.
    01-28-13 12:53 PM
    If you need to access your home computer you could try "Splashtop"... It does internet tunneling similar to logmein or gotomypc... It's on the Playbook and works fairly well. It might not be exactly what you are looking for....
    01-28-13 06:55 PM
    For International travelers, a VPN is a must just for getting updates from RIM. In some countries (e.g. China), if you update your PB or BB OS or apps, you will get a different version of the update since app availability and capability is limited. I found this out the hard way. If RIM won't offer the VPN options we need, does the OS API have the hooks to allow developers to do it?
    01-29-13 12:21 AM
    Well there is a way for a vpn to work on playbook. vpnreactor.com has a tutorial on how to setup a vpn on blackberry playbook. I am sure it will be the same on BB10 too. so i guess all is not lost. I might just be able to listen to pandora.....
    01-29-13 09:48 AM
    Well there is a way for a vpn to work on playbook. vpnreactor.com has a tutorial on how to setup a vpn on blackberry playbook. I am sure it will be the same on BB10 too. so i guess all is not lost. I might just be able to listen to pandora.....
    Just a word of warning, that link gets flagged as a "verified fraud threat" when I try to click on it. Not sure if that is right or not, but I wanted to let people who might see this know.
    01-29-13 07:52 PM
    I just looked and compared the vpn options on my Dev alpha and my PlayBook and they have exactly the same options .

There's a slim chance the release device will have more options. Doubt it though.
    01-29-13 08:32 PM
    I don't expect them to have these more basic options available at launch, but hopefully we will see them turn up in time as vpn use becomes more mainstream.
    01-30-13 04:14 AM
    So if these standard commercial options do not seem likely to be possible, are there more complex, that is to say more expensive, ways that an individual might be able to use the VPN technologies that are supported? I wouldn't pay for some huge enterprise system of course, but if there I would be willing to spend extra to make it possible.
    01-31-13 02:34 AM
    Like i said there are a few commercial vpn providers who use microsoft IKEv2 vpn to connect on playbook and i am hopeful they will work on bb10 as well. Check https://www.vpnreactor.com/playbook_vpn.html
    01-31-13 07:44 AM
    Vpn reactor looks like it would work. The problem with them is it says in their FAQ you can only have one device connected per account. So you can only have your phone, or playbook, or computer connected. Since each account is $120/year that adds up rather quickly.

I'm going to try looking for an anon VPN that supports the (few) VPN types Blackberry supports and allows at least 3 devices. It would be much nicer if BlackBerry (it is so weird not saying RIM), the supposed secure phone company, allowed more security options for its consumers.
    01-31-13 12:08 PM
    https://www.witopia.com/ apparently supports the playbook (so bb10 as well) but only offer two simultaneous connections. I wish Blackberry would just add standard VPN support so we could use services like privateinternetaccess.com
    02-01-13 02:57 PM
    From a security point of view, pptp is broken. It is better that they don't support weak VPNs that give a false sense of security. That being said, I would love an L2TP/IPSec option, or even OpenVPN. Not everyone has a Cisco or Juniper router sitting around, and this includes small businesses. They really do need an option that works with a normal Windows or Mac server (Linux can emulate a Cisco IPSec VPN close enough for it to work, but it's not easy to do).
    02-04-13 12:37 AM
    I am getting the z10 on feb 10, meanwhile someone who already is rocking a z10 please check the vpn profiles and see if any pptp or l2tp is included or is it similar to the playbook.
    02-05-13 01:29 PM
    I own Blackberry Curve 9380 and Blackberry Playbook , and I found VPN solution which works completely fine to me. That is SuperVPN.Net Blackberry VPN Service.

I still dont own Blackberry Z10, because it is not yet available in my country, but I think because someone said that Playbook and Z10 use same QNX, that www.supervpn.net will 100% support Z10 and BB10 . If anyone have Z10 here you can put here screenshot of VPN settings and I will confirm does Blackberry Z10 can use Supervpn VPN service.
    02-08-13 12:48 PM
    I am getting the z10 on feb 10, meanwhile someone who already is rocking a z10 please check the vpn profiles and see if any pptp or l2tp is included or is it similar to the playbook.
    I dont think that it will include pptp and l2tp but you still have some VPN providers which offer VPN service for Blackberry devices - like Super VPN - PPTP and Open VPN Anonymous Web Surfing Services and VPN Services - Anonymous, Reliable And Safe Surfing By Limy VPN

For me it doesnt matter which protocol is used for VPN, all I need is provider who can offer me service which works and offer me dozen of world locations. And I found that with supervpn
    02-08-13 12:50 PM
    I just looked and compared the vpn options on my Dev alpha and my PlayBook and they have exactly the same options .

There's a slim chance the release device will have more options. Doubt it though.
    If Playbook and your dev alpha have same options than I am 100% sure that supervpn blackberry vpn will work for you as it does for me on my Blackberry Playbook

You guys who dont know how to setup VPN on Blackberry you can find them on this blog here

How To Setup Blackberry VPN Plan On Blackberry Playbook Tablet | Super VPN Support Blog
    02-08-13 12:54 PM
    That's not true at all. It's using a different version of QNX and different API's are imbedded. This is not the same OS with a different Skin. ****, BB10's features that have been shown off are already beyond current playbook OS's capabilities. So we'll see if it supports VPN's
    according to docs.blackberry.com IT DOES support VPN service. We just have problem that no one here is yet having its hands on Blackberry Z10 so we dont have any screenshots of VPN settings on Z10

I hope I will get my Z10 very soon on my carrier
    02-08-13 12:56 PM
43 12